• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Essay I wrote for class. CB related

brownstone101

Nov 10, 2010
sorry to litter this forum with 2 threads, but i recently got bit with the CB bug again, and also had to write an essay for my college writing class. so i thought since i have been studying up on DX and just amateur radio in general I would write something that is fresh in my head.

I decided i would write about DX because that is one thing that interests people that normally wouldn't care about CB radios.(unless there a CB nerd, then it could be a dry essay about resistors and you guys would love it) it was a process essay, about how to do something, and I thought i would share it with you guys. its my first draft, might have a few errors or not flow perfectly later im going to revise it, if you catch something totally stupid go ahead and let me know or just tell me how you like it.

its really basic but for someone who reads it gives them enough info to maybe look into it more?

all i ask is that this is my work and to not replicate it or use it as your own.

Shooting Skip

How could someone talk from there car on one side of the country, and communicate with someone on the other side of the country without a land telephone, cell phone, internet or cords; they can shoot skip. Shooting skip or talking DX is an atmospheric occurrence when a radio signal bounces or skips in the atmosphere then rains down some where else outside of the normal range of the radio transmission. People use CB radios, or Ham radios to talk skip with people all over the country and world. What should be known is, when does it happen, how to talk skip and what equipment is needed to shoot skip.

Cb radio and Ham radio users may have experienced occurrences when they hear people talking from different locations. The radio user might be located in California and hear someone talking about how it is raining in Washington. This is a clear sign that skip is occurring, also if you hear state names that are out of context that are in, conversations people are having. The radio operator may also experience loss of use locally, but they can hear stations very far away only. This may be annoying if you are talking to a local friend, but very exciting making contact with people on the other side of the state, or world.

One main concern is, when skip happens, how do I talk to people I do not know on the other side of the country? Use a handle, a handle is a radio name, or your station name used on the radio. Establish your handle, and that you are receiving there signal, see if contact is made and that it is not just received one way. Next, talk about common things, like the weather, where they are located, or the CB equipment being used. Be friendly and courteous on the air waves, but most of all, have fun contacting someone you normally would not be able to though the radio and its limited range.

Most people, and newer generations, did not grow up in the peak of the citizen band radio. The equipment needed is any standard forty channel CB radio, an antenna, and coaxial wire. Any local CB equipment store will have these things and install for a decent price. The nice part is the CB radio is in today's world, an old outdated piece of technology, therefor bringing the cost down. Anyone can mount a CB in their car and communicate with other CB users easily. It makes for a good communication device for people who drive long road trips, four wheel in the woods with friends, or just want to shoot skip and communicate with other people locally.

Shooting skip is still a common thing that is done today, as is the use of CB radios. It is a fun community that Is easy to join, and very friendly. Also the world of CB is just as accessible now as it was then. Many people enjoy shooting skip and also, the thrill of using a CB radio to communicate with people across the country, world, or in there back yard, this just makes the appeal of using a CB that much more. There is not much needed to shoot skip, just knowledge of when it is occurring, knowing how to talk with people when skip happens, and what is needed to shoot skip.

You can add that radio is different from the internet or cellphones because it isn't involving a network to work. Each radio operator works independently from their own system and location.

You might qualify that the price of the gear. It is true that a used $80 AM/SSB radio is capable of transmitting anywhere; but the antenna is the essential item that makes all of the difference between long distance communication success. Beam antennas will be more successful here; but even a dipole made from household electric cord can be cut to length and tuned for use.

Overall, enthusiasm when writing anything is 10%; but essential to read well. Having a direction and keeping the facts straight will be 90% of course. Sounds like you are well on track to make this essay happen. I gave a speech in college for my speech class on this very subject. Don't over-complicate the details and lose your auduence; keep it as simple and to the point as you can.

Looks fine right now.

thanks bud. glad you liked it,

yeah thats why i picked DX, and kept it simple. some people would ask why the hell would i want a CB radio when i have an iphone??? well im not telling you to get a cb radio but im asking can your iPhone reach Australia without using a tower, lines, internet, repeater, by just its 1mm antenna? and too some that might be appealing to some few people. if i had wrote about the resistors role in the cb radio, id have to bring a pillow for my teacher to fall asleep reading my boring essay :D

I agree that it is well presented, and easily understood. Good job.
I also agree with Robb. In the years I've spent in presentation I've found that there may be someone who is intrigued with your subject to the point of deeper interest. For these your subject will raise more questions. The apparent ones are along the lines of those that Robb suggested. Just add in the simple language you're using those additional items and this should be the high scoring essay you deserve.

Make us proud! (y)

there - refers to a location--"let's go there"
their- refers to the possessive - "that's their decision"
they're - compound of the words "they" and "are" "they're going there to get their stuff"

Thanks. :laugh:

Thanks, Highlander! I often get flamed when I post things like that, but if it's going in a college-level essay, I'd at least expect things like that to be fixed...:whistle:

haha you caught me. thats one of my biggest problem. 90% of the time have to go back anad look at every their there they're and make sure there in context...

haha sorry i replied right when i woke up. i got to finish proofing this when i get back from chem class.:bdh:
lately though I have improved my English and writing skills since high school. I was very bad in middle school, but its night and day to what it was. mostly its conventions, like above, coma placement, or forgetting anyone is not any one, things like that.

also,
i'm taking writing in college to improve my writing skills, i wouldn't have posted this if i didn't want constructive criticism, and or for you guys to enjoy a cb related essay. normally when i see really retarded posts on other forums that the second you correct them its a flame war and gets locked down. don't worry, its just more information for my self. i have a note on my binder saying there, their, and they're, but when i wrote this essay i forgot to make sure they were in context. bringing it up and catching a mistake like that only helps me to remember next time.

thanks to everyone who enjoyed it in the first draft stage. ill repost it later tonight the copy that will be turned in to the teacher tomorrow.

Last edited:
haha you caught me. thats one of my biggest problem. 90% of the time have to go back anad look at every their there they're and make sure there in context...

the last there wasn't in context,lol, it should have been they're,

comas between their,there,and they're would have been a nice touch.

the essay was ok but could have done with a little more depth if putting it into a school or college,maybe a bit of emphasis of the different types of skip, f layer,e layer sporadic,auroral etc and how they affect radio signals and the types of distances you can expect would add a little light technical information showing you have a good grasp of the subject.

a mention that single sideband is the preferred mode of operation for shooting skip would also inform people to buy a ssb enabled radio.maybe a couple of calling frequencies like 27.555,26.285 would give people an idea of where in the spectrum this takes place.

a quick mention of the preferred antenna types would help others out too.

i hate to be critical of someone who is obviously trying to better both their grasp of english and of cb radio,but if you want good marks in a school/college the little extra details go a long long way,it shows effort and a willingness to study up on subject matter and more often than not a good teacher will always reward effort.Your technique of keeping things simplified is also good as it stops people without technical expertise losing interest.

good luck with your studies !!!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.