• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ever get that gut feeling?

G-Golly Wally

WDX 719 SE Oklahoma
Nov 5, 2008
Southeastern Oklahoma
The other night when driving home from West Virginia I stopped at a gas station somewhere near Rolla Missouri. It was 1:30 in the morning the station was kinda the only thing open from the darkness of the few other businesses that were around. As I was pulling up to the gas pump, a guy got out of an SUV wearing a coat and a ski mask, he had one hand in his pocket. I thought it's only 51 degrees, why is he wearing a ski mask? Is it covid? haven't really seen a lot of people wearing mask in my travels as of late. He proceeded to the door of the store. I guess I should've stated the my truck and his SUV were the only vehicles at this station. He opened the door to the store with his left hand and basically walked into the door catching himself dead center in the chest. I sat in my still running truck as he struggled with the door never taking his right hand from his pocket. Once he finally clears the door, he takes one step inside stops, looks to the left then the right and then starts looking at items on the closest self to him, still with his right hand in his pocket. My gut instinct kicked in, and I'm thinking this just don't look right, so I put my truck in gear and decided I'd find a gas station somewhere else. I don't know what came of it, but I wasn't going to get mixed up in anything going on there. I was 4 hrs from the house and wasn't taking any chances. Kinda felt bad about leaving, but there's just to many crazy people in the world today

NEVER stop at a little station like that.... Always go to a major truckstop when traveling... I prefer the Loves... Truckstops are lit up and open 24 hours and have people around.... I quit driving in 2014 and they used to sell a little book that had all the them listed by state, highway and exit... came in handy until qual-comm came on the scene and the computer would tell you where to fuel and the route to take....

I was 4 hrs from the house and wasn't taking any chances. Kinda felt bad about leaving, but there's just to many crazy people in the world today

That's what 911 is for you should have noted the plate number of the car and called. Better a false alarm than an armed unknown robber/murderer on the run.

NEVER stop at a little station like that.... Always go to a major truckstop when traveling... I prefer the Loves... Truckstops are lit up and open 24 hours and have people around.... I quit driving in 2014 and they used to sell a little book that had all the them listed by state, highway and exit... came in handy until qual-comm came on the scene and the computer would tell you where to fuel and the route to take....
Agreed, there's even phone apps with maps and details of all major truck stops (travel centers).
Haven't you watched Hills have eyes!

That's what 911 is for you should have noted the plate number of the car and called. Better a false alarm than an armed unknown robber/murderer on the run.
I know this is going to make me sound stupid especially since 911 has been around so long, but I'm not exactly sure how 911 works when traveling. I mean when I dial 911 does it go to a local 911 dispatcher or is it like a national hot line and they somehow contact a local authority to take care of a situation? There was another station across the highway via an overpass that was considerably more busy and well lit. I did make them aware of what I had seen just down the road from them, but I'm sure that probably made no difference. I just prayed that nobody got injured or worse, but it's still weighing on my mind, I just hope nothing bad came of it.

Reactions: whiteastro and 999
I normally stop at Loves, Pilot or Flying J but this particular time I let my fuel get a little lower than usual and had to stop at a more rural area for fuel.

I know this is going to make me sound stupid especially since 911 has been around so long, but I'm not exactly sure how 911 works when traveling. I mean when I dial 911 does it go to a local 911 dispatcher or is it like a national hot line and they somehow contact a local authority to take care of a situation? There was another station across the highway via an overpass that was considerably more busy and well lit. I did make them aware of what I had seen just down the road from them, but I'm sure that probably made no difference. I just prayed that nobody got injured or worse, but it's still weighing on my mind, I just hope nothing bad came of it.

It goes to a local dispatch centre based on which cell tower you connect thru regardless of what your number is or where your home area is.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.