• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Excalibur ssb base

sportygreg

Nov 30, 2006
Dunedin,Fl
I have the opportunity to buy one of these with Sadelta echo master mike and Dosy test center with freq counter all for $250.00.Is this a good deal?I never heard of this radio but the guy says it has 5 bands?

its an ok deal. the excaliber bases were notorious for the power supplys poping and either throwing 110v threw the radio or 26v. either one killed the radio and most of the components. they were an off brand of the galaxy ssb. (they had the same issues). ive had 2 ssb's and a saturn die due to the power supplys. the last one i bought i disabled the power supply and ran a small external.

figure the meters are worth $55 (nice meters)
the mic is around $80 on ebay most of the time (some times less)
the radio was cheap enough for the gamble.

Well,as it turned out the Excalibur was junk-no transmit and while I was testing it the receive started going bad.So I didn't buy the radio but the guy offered me the Sadelta and Dosy for $50.00 and I bought those from him.Both work fine and the mike even has a "tweety' noise toy in it that can be turned off-not a bad deal!

I hooked up the Dosy and wired the Sadelta to my Cherokee 1000-they both work great and according to the Dosy my radio is working better than I thought!Must be more sensitive than the cheap pdc5 meter I was using.

Well,I can't afford a Bird wattmeter so I have to rely on what I have!The Dosy test center is certainly better than what I was using and has PEP which the other meter does not have.

Dosy

Dang.........
He should use the ones you get out of cracker jack boxes LOL

:bash :lol :lol :bounce :bounce :beer

Who cares if some meter says X amount and another meter says something different.

As long as the owner/operator is happy and it is showing a ballpark number I dont think its critical that a Bird shows 400watts and a Dosy shows 450watts.

Yes a Bird is the standard by which all is judged. But a Dosy or any other meter is OK to get a "relative" number from.

But that was funny that the Dosy is showing better numbers.

Actually,the Dosy is close to the other for rms but shows more swing on pep.You would think the Dosy would be more accurate than the $15.00 pdc5 that I have.The 100 watt scale on the pdc5 doesn't work due to the sloppy soldering inside the unit.The Dosy also shows a slight increase in SWR-from 1.2 to 1.4 compared to the pdc5.

excalibur ssb

hi ive been trying to wire a mic or looking for a microphone for the excalibur ssb this radio is the deluxe one that has cw and fm am ssb can anyone help me out ive been trying everywere and no luck need to wire a turner super sidekick and a tu8 lolypop mic on this radio and i cannot find anything that works or looking for the original mic for this radio also can anyone help or can anyone wire these mics for me :pop:

hi ive been trying to wire a mic or looking for a microphone for the excalibur ssb this radio is the deluxe one that has cw and fm am ssb can anyone help me out ive been trying everywere and no luck need to wire a turner super sidekick and a tu8 lolypop mic on this radio and i cannot find anything that works or looking for the original mic for this radio also can anyone help or can anyone wire these mics for me :pop:

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/excalibur/ssb/graphics/excalibur_ssb_om.pdf

Around page 10 is the mic wiring diagram, hopefully this will help you out.

Same site cbtricks will have microphone information for the mics you mentioned also.

Welcome to the forum,

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.