• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Experts please: Looking for a new antenna solution for my Wrangler

lolpetewtf

Sep 21, 2012
Sudbury, MA
Hey guys.

For almost two years I have been running a Firestik II on the back of my Wrangler, mounted to a mast with a K-4A stud. I sanded the bottom of the mount point like I was told to do. Of course it is steel and rusts up fast, and I imagine that is not good for a proper ground.

I have tried everything and cannot get the SWR under 2.5 on any channel. I have messed with it for a long time and today decided to scrap the whole setup. Good thing too, since I broke the coax anyway.

So at the moment I have a Lil' Wil on the hood, in the center with the mag mount. This is a temporary setup.

I am looking for opinions on what would work best for me. I really don't want a whip in the middle of the hood, it might annoying fast. Should I look into something like this: Jeep Wrangler CB Antenna Mount For 2007 and Up

How would you do it? I like to DX on SSB at times, and unfortunately the hard top is fiberglass.

Here is how it looks at the moment:

I imagine your a member of some Jeep forums. Look and ask around there for some ideas. Many a Jeep owner over there with plenty of experience. Many guys have excellent write up's with plenty of pics.

Of course, you'll get input here, but you'll find a more targeted audience there.

On my TJ's and Rubicon that I owned, I drilled and mounted an old GE ball mount on the right rear quarter panel and ran a steel whip.

It worked well and stood up to all my hell raising 4 wheel trail adventures.

Keep the antenna where it is and just pull off the mount from time to time and sand the rust off.

Yes, I am an active member of WranglerForum.com. They all use the same basic setup of a Firestik mounted to the rear license plate frame, or the like. Very few people are looking to use their CB other than off road, never mind SSB'ing. I am looking for distance.

Edit: I do Psycho, it is a rather PIA since it rusts so quickly.

Also, is my old setup very directional, since the metal is in the front of the vehicle?

Whip and ball mount is the route I'd go.

Maybe try some other forums, sounds like that one has to many street queens.

My neighbor has one of those nice Jeeps and if he gets a couple of squashed bugs on the front he will wash them off before he can go on with his life. LOL

Lol..

My brother in law has a street queen H2. He washed it more than his own body. I crawled under it one day and slipped a 3 foot zip tie on his axle. He thought it was toast. Makes a hell of a racket. Used to do it to all the new rookie firemen at my old station. Great fun!

Pic of Gunny jeep.

Jeep_rear_quarter.JPG

Reactions: 5 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.