• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

expo kit

expo kits are easy most of the time. you pull the factory crystal and solder the 2 wire from the expo kit into its place. on the rear of the expo kit rotary switch there will be crystals (usually 3 spots but sometimes 5) 2 will in in place and theres room for 1 more, the open spot you put your factory crystall inplace.

some radios need a lot more fiddling around with to make work.

a 29xlr has the upd858 pll in it right? you shouldnt need a expo kit for channels if it does.

The 29 XLR uses the Expo "I" kit. I do not know of anyone off-hand who would even sell that kit. There are hardly any radios left alive that would use it.

I would recommend just doing the PLL mod for that radio, since the kit (if I remember correctly) does the same thing.

" some radios need a lot more fiddling around with to make work."

What this means Bigred is you will have to tune the cans on the kit so the radio is on frequency. This requires the proper equipment and can be a pain to get it right. Years ago I had an Expo kit in Uniden Grant xl that gave me 120 channels. After about a year I had trouble on SSB clarifying people in. I spent 30 bucks having a local guy put the radio back on frequency. He told me after thanks but that would be the last time he does that for me with that radio. He said it would be more stable if the channels were done off the PLL. Just a heads up if you were thinking of doing this yourself. Keep in mind that expo kits are no longer made so whatever is out there is it. They can run 25-35 dollars depending on the kit, then you have to install it which will cost more on top of that.

ya dude as was said you can find a EXPO kit for that but it ain't worth it...
the pll will do the same thing as the expo kit
now some radios with a expo kit won't jump all over when adding for channels...if that was what your after...but on this unit it don't matter the price of 2 switches and then write down the freq's is all you need...and believe me that 858 pll chip is great for extras
I would say better then the expo's

just my opinion and if you really want one just look around on ebay...last one i seen was 3 for 19 bucks.....

I am almost sure that radio has a UPD 858 in it look and make sure then......

www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Port/1158/858mod.htm
Have a look at the switch mod. Remember to follow ESD safety precautions, make sure your Soldering iron tip is grounded, touch something metal before you start etc.
You don`t want to zap that PLL.
Also it is very important to use the 4.7K ohm resistors across the traces you cut, these are there so that the pin conected to the trace is "pulled down" to ground untill you apply voltage to it, never leave a pin floating, not on a 858.
Some PLL`s have internal pull down resistors, but the 858 does not.

Jeff

yup. i never liked them. the pll in the chip can cover around 400 "channels" where as a expo kit will cover usually 120.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.