• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Export 148 GTL-DX?

RCIGuy

Jan 16, 2023
Anyone have one of these? not much info on the web about it, thats about all i could find. Not sure what "fake" is all about.

They called them "fake" because Cobra, Dynascan did not make them.
Before the internet it was almost impossible to follow who was building what.
It was all word of mouth, and many times you would research and make phone calls to find nothing out.
Calling Cobra back then and asking about a 148 dx model would get you a "I don't know what you are talking about" answer.
When Jim Peng began cloning others boards they used everyone's name on the radios.
Just like the Cobra 150 and 200 gtl, Cobra would not claim to have made them.
I bought a President Lincoln from President electronics of Belgium in the mid 1980's.
I had to talk to a guy that knew a dealer that could get export radios, it was almost like doing a drug deal in the alley at night, same thing with amps back then
Bought in the back room of a radio shop only if you knew who ask.

Jeff

Thats pretty interesting, now i wonder what i got my self into, i assume parts will be nonexistent, needs a couple of knobs for starters.
Are they worth fixing up?

Thats pretty interesting, now i wonder what i got my self into, i assume parts will be nonexistent, needs a couple of knobs for starters.
Are they worth fixing up?
You can take the covers off and see what board is in it, most likely built by Ranger.
The 148 gtl-dxf was another that said Cobra on it built back then, almost a direct clone of the Connex 4800 DXL.

Jeff

Yeah I was wondering about this radio myself, especially after seeing one on eBay looked to be NOS and he offered me a lower price. When I contacked him asking about the PLL chip in it, got no reply.

But I figured it was the good ole 02A going on looks alone, being in this hobby and owning tons of radios, pretty much figured and I was right LOL.

The radio sold fairly quickly, but I've got other radios that have the same PCB pretty much so I'm good.

Interesting topic 73's, Retro

It should be here in a few days, fully expecting it not to be working. Ill pull the covers off and post up some pics and go from there. Has some battle scars but for 15 bucks i think i can live with the way it is. Any advice as to where to find knobs?

Cool radio, not what I was expecting to see. Years ago I had a Cobra 148F GTL DX+which was a very rare radio. Kinda looked like a Connex 4800 dxl. Wish I would have kept it like so many radio's.

Finding knobs for the most part would only mean getting another radio to take them off of to the best of my knowledge. I have the “Lafayette” 2400FM version. I have had that thing for over twenty years now. I have also seen them badged as a Nato 2000 also.

Well its not looking good for the old 148, A mess of disconnected wires, a smoked resistor, couple diodes with resistors in series. Good thing i pulled the covers before trying to power it up.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
7.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: DoctorAudio

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.