• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Export install on pontoon boat.

H

Hollywood

I have recently picked up a rather "used" pontoon boat that we are currently fixing up. I want to put a radio on it and am wondering what antenna to use. It would seem to me that I shouldn't have the "no ground plane" problems of a fiberglass boat, correct? I currently have a few old antennas I could use for this project if they will work properly on a boat. One is an old fiberglass 8' whip, and I also have an Antron 99 not being use as well. Any idea's on how to make this setup work? Or do I need to just buy a marine antenna?

I plan to use a Magnum 257 or Titan as the radio.

hollywoodsig.gif
</p>

The 'marine' CB antennas you'll find (typically mfg. by shakespeare) are 8' "no ground plane" antennae and do not work worth sheebotz. Not only that, but they require the 'marine mount' ($15-$40 dollars depending on material/quality) to affix to your 'toon.

You won't have a problem with a whip or whatever as long as the ground is connected firmly to the aluminum on the pontoon and that all the aluminum subparts of the vessel (decking / railing / platforms / the toons themselves) electrically attached to each other.

HERE's what I'd do, if you don't go under too many bridges. I'd mount an Antron 99 or equivalent to that puppy. Then you'd have blanket coverage. Use stainless u-bolts and affix the antenna firmly to a good stout piece of a vertical grab piece of the railing on the vessel.

Then you will have blanket coverage. The Antron (~18') will be cheaper than the 8' "no ground plane" Shakespeare 'marine' CB antenna.

To finish off the installation, use a quality Marine grade Mini-8 type of coax mfg. by GoldLine or another respected manufacturer. Get the white stuff, not the black and it will not only look like it was installed by a professional, but will give you several years of trouble-free service.

One thing to note is that the Copper in Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic types of antennas see a lot of harsh weather conditions on a vessel and that tends to make the Fiberglass get brittle faster than normal. Wear thick gloves when you work on or remove the antennas to prevent splinters to the hand.

Have at it.

_____

Buttfuzz in the Mobile
SuperStar Gr, KLV203, Wilson5K, 575-M6

Buttfuzz at the Base

Galaxy Class StarShip, A99wGPK, D104-M6B
Buttfuzz Built Deuce and a Quarter</p>

Where are you boating?Why not a marine VHF that will do some good in an emergency instead of the CB?Are you planning on shooting skip while boating?I think CBs are a waste of time on water UNLESS you are on a small lake where everyone runs them and are out of range of the coast guard.Or if you are fishing in areas where you could be competing against others who have the VHFs and you want to pass on secret info to your buddy.Lots of shrimpers here run them to stay off the marine radios and keep there secrets secret.I run an Icom VHF on my boat with a raytheon 3 ft stainless whip on a ratchet mount.I can get under most bridges with it up and it works well.Not to knock the guy suggesting the A-99 but it would be hell getting under the bridges and fishing under any tree canopy with that sucker sticking up.My 2 cents--Capt Nevrdull

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.