• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Export Radios, Amps, and the Police?

Several years ago cops came to my buddy house in a small US town. He was getting into the neighbors TV, he was using my Maco 300, so he stopped.

Reactions: Rwb
Several years ago cops came to my buddy house in a small US town. He was getting into the neighbors TV, he was using my Maco 300, so he stopped.
There was a real old dude outside my town. He had one of those Maco 300. He was around 2 miles away. That thing destroyed everything around it. I couldn't talk anywhere that thing bled so bad.

Reactions: Rwb and Keto
Back when I first started becoming serious about the hobby (circa 2000) I put up my first base station. A galaxy 77hl driving a Texas star 500 out through an Antron 99. I knew nothing about clipped limiters/alc, wasn't long before my neighbor told me I was talking through his TV and I was setting off touch lamps in my house or who knows who else's. I did a little reading and immediately saw stories about fcc getting involved.....Scared me enough to do some learning and correcting to my setup before keying it another time.

Reactions: Rwb and Keto
It's really unfortunate that nearly all the CB amp makers (with rare exceptions) can't be bothered to include a low pass filter on the amp output. Amps in EVERY other radio service include them, and the makers of that equipment would be laughed out of town if they didn't. Yet for some reason nobody building CB amps bothers !

Having a filter would prevent the vast majority of these cases of interference (especially with TV's) from happening in the first place ! Amps are supposed to have them for that reason....they minimize the harmonic radiation that causes interference issues.

It's really unfortunate that nearly all the CB amp makers (with rare exceptions) can't be bothered to include a low pass filter on the amp output. Amps in EVERY other radio service include them, and the makers of that equipment would be laughed out of town if they didn't. Yet for some reason nobody building CB amps bothers !

Having a filter would prevent the vast majority of these cases of interference (especially with TV's) from happening in the first place ! Amps are supposed to have them for that reason....they minimize the harmonic radiation that causes interference issues.
CB amps are built cheap to maximize the builder's profit. Low pass filters cut into that profit. Since what they're selling is at best gray market merchandise anyways, might as well get the max cash they can.

I agree TM86 ! It's to maximize profit, but it's also because an LPF will make a slight reduction in power output, and the CB market is all about how high the meter swings. Harmonics be damned.

I agree TM86 ! It's to maximize profit, but it's also because an LPF will make a slight reduction in power output, and the CB market is all about how high the meter swings. Harmonics be damned.
Oh, yeah. Gotta make the meter beaters happy.

CB amps are built cheap to maximize the builder's profit. Low pass filters cut into that profit. Since what they're selling is at best gray market merchandise anyways, might as well get the max cash they can.
It's been that way forever, why add extra parts that cost more money.
Some did a better job than others , the best ones cost more because they had decent bias and some filtering on the output.
But most do not want to pay extra for a well built amp when you can get the unbiased minimum parts version that swings your watt meter just as far ( or farther) for 25-30% less.
The original Palamar built 4 transistor solid state amps that actually had complete band pass filter boards in them.
With a band switch that was hooked up and even worked so they were very capable of building them them this way.
85% of the target market back then could care less about band pass filters.

Jeff

Having a filter would prevent the vast majority of these cases of interference
Varmint amplifiers had a low-pass filter on a small circuit board that was added to the original design. Problem lies with how the amplifier is operated. Driving it too hard produces a lot of harmonic energy, and the low-pass filter would overheat and poof. Removed more than a few smoked filters like this.

Takes more than a filter. Also takes a setup that doesn't produce a lot of harmonics in the first place. The "hot-rod" design of most CB base amplifiers made that kinda tough to do.

Last edited:
Varmint amplifiers had a low-pass filter on a small circuit board that was added to the original design. Problem lies with how the amplifier is operated. Driving it too hard produces a lot of harmonic energy, and the low-pass filter would overheat and poof. Removed more than a few smoked filters like this.

Takes more than a filter. Also takes a setup that doesn't produce a lot of harmonics in the first place. The "hot-rod" design of most CB base amplifiers made that kinda tough to do.

thus we got 27.0250,drift to say 26.350 to 27.1850 and we get buckets full of blood. but thats my opinion n observation

Having a filter would prevent the vast majority of these cases of interference (especially with TV's) from happening in the first place ! Amps are supposed to have them for that reason....they minimize the harmonic radi

thus we got 27.0250,drift to say 26.350 to 27.1850 and we get buckets full of blood. but thats my opinion n observation
The way I understand it a low pass filter does not have anything to do with bleeding channels within its operating range, It is more to stop spurious emissions above 30 mhz.

• Wow
The way I understand it a low pass filter does not have anything to do with bleeding channels within its operating range, It is more to stop spurious emissions above 30 mhz.
You are 100% correct. LPF prevents harmonic radiation which causes interference to TV's, other radio services, etc.
Splatter (Bleeding onto other channels) is caused by over-modulation, audio clipping due to cut limiters, and poor amplifier design (especially in tube amps). Usually a combination of those things is at work.

There was a real old dude outside my town. He had one of those Maco 300. He was around 2 miles away. That thing destroyed everything around it. I couldn't talk anywhere that thing bled so bad.

That doesn't surprise me one bit.
luckily I'm in the country, this one sitting covered up for a few years on the Shelf.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.