• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

External meter for incoming S units

Hairball

May 19, 2020
Indiana
Does anyone make an external meter to read incoming S units? I want to confirm that my radios S meter is working correctly. I can hook up other radios to confirm incoming signals but was wondering if there an external unit that can be added inline. I have found one for Yaesu rigs but nothing for cb's, 11 meters. Thank you in advance. Harry

Reactions: Slowmover

Does anyone make an external meter to read incoming S units? I want to confirm that my radios S meter is working correctly. I can hook up other radios to confirm incoming signals but was wondering if there an external unit that can be added inline. I have found one for Yaesu rigs but nothing for cb's, 11 meters. Thank you in advance. Harry
Google ft-857 external s meter. E bay has them too. Mfj used to sell one as well

For setting/checking the S-meter you need a RF signal generator. From what I have seen the standard is generate a carrier level of 100 µV, AM modulated with a 1KHz audio signal at 30%. Then adjust the S-meter so it lines up with S9 on that signal.

I had a thread on S-Meters awhile back. May be of use.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.