• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Fabrication Question

Also I have a friend who is a contractor for Boeing and he has a CNC machine and access to aluminum and titanium. I have read about 102” stainless whips being used as an inverted V (dipole?)

What materials would be proper to create a mount and what angle should I make them on the downward? I can’t remember who posted the name of a now-defunct model.

Alternatively, if I were to create a mount with 102” vertical and 102” ground planes - how many would one need on the horizontal? 3? 4? 1,000?? ☺️

I think I used 22 deg for my Omni. Three GP with 5% increase in length 108" + 5%. My GP are scrap aluminum tubing. Have a 102" with HD spring equaling about 108" +/-. Hope that helps. I'm sure someone with more experience can lend a hand.

What materials would be proper to create a mount and what angle should I make them on the downward?

Aluminum should work great. I don't think there's a particular angle that's required. I have mine in a wide V, probably 120 degrees or so, and I'm happy with it.

Alternatively, if I were to create a mount with 102” vertical and 102” ground planes - how many would one need on the horizontal? 3? 4? 1,000?? ☺️

I believe its been said that after 4 there's no real benefit. Somewhere in the 45 degree range will get you close to 50 ohms.

Had to dig this out, was on thumb drive, and had to find it. Don't keep much on drive C.

Reflections by Maxwell.

I'm sure others will cite ARRL, so here that is #19.

Attachments

• Reflections Walter Maxwell.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • Hall-TheArrlAntennaBook.pdf
    39.3 MB · Views: 7
So they planted the Tree when Kopcicle was born, it grew, weathered storm after storm after storm, then died of old age, and the only thing left was Kop...

Whom when seeing that the Tree was gone and all that was left was the stump, it's life was then celebrated by planning a more permanent Metal replacement and called it a Ground Plane ..which on occasion serves as a Radiator for other Non-essential bands...

Have I got that right?
;)

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.