• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fan dipole questions..

In other news..

Just measured my mobile home.. apparently I have 34' from my current 9:1 un-un location mount to the front of the trailer.. so I can just squeak the 33.8' to get this 40/20/10 fan up.. going left up the tree I get like 40'.. :)

So get 1:1 balun, (I already have 12THHN wire, and S40 1/2" poly gray for the spacers) and put together and up..

Should I leave on a inverted slope going 15' on one end to 10' at mounting point, and up to 27' in the tree ?? I can lower the tree end to be same 15' as in the front..
If it was me and I had my heart set on a balun. I would configure the dipole into an inverted Vee achieving close to resonance and then use a choke balun.

If it was me and I had my heart set on a balun. I would configure the dipole into an inverted Vee achieving close to resonance and then use a choke balun.

Can't getting the one end higher unfortunately.. front of trailer faces street. No antennas allowed...

Will one side being 10' higher then the other hurt?? From what I read some run sloped dipoles without issue..

Walt Maxwell was among the first to promote choke baluns in his Another Look at Reflections series published in QST in the '70s and later formed the basis of his Reflections, Reflections II, and Reflections III series of books. I have the original and III but screwed around and never ordered II.

Saying M. Walter Maxwell promoted the choke-balun is, with all due respect, being very optimistic. He did mention them, and gave some info about them in a very small section in his books, however, aside from basically saying that they exist, he didn't say much about them. And for those looking, the choke-balun didn't make his "Another Look at Reflections" document.

The DB

Reactions: BJ radionut
Can't getting the one end higher unfortunately.. front of trailer faces street. No antennas allowed...

Will one side being 10' higher then the other hurt?? From what I read some run sloped dipoles without issue..
1 thing I like about playing with antennas is trying variations to the norm. So try it and see what happens. I have found a good sort of range for my dipoles, 90-130(ish) degrees work well.

I cut 6 spacers that have 5" spacing between elements..

I figure 3 of these per side.

1@balun 1@4' 1@8' or end of the 10m

Then shorter ones for the remaining 20/40m

IMG_20180722_151711337.jpg

Reactions: binrat
Saying M. Walter Maxwell promoted the choke-balun is, with all due respect, being very optimistic. He did mention them, and gave some info about them in a very small section in his books, however, aside from basically saying that they exist, he didn't say much about them. And for those looking, the choke-balun didn't make his "Another Look at Reflections" document.

The DB

Well, it has been some time, but I seem to recall him writing about them and the recommended mix and size for common cables. Really, there wouldn't have been much to say but as I recall it was part of a larger section on coupling-decoupling.

He did spend a considerable amount of writing on conjugate matching.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.