• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fatboy 1+4

cswguy

Jun 13, 2011
Oshawa Ontario Canada
www.youtube.com
Hey Everyone

I just made a purchase of a fatboy 1+4 900 watt, and I own a HR2510.

Would that amp be alright with using that radio.?? I know SSB has swing and punches 20+ watts but my AM does not swing and it around 10 watts DK.

I was told it would be fine either way, but wanted to check with experienced linear installers or users.

Touch base soon
927 WWM
Duane

:oops:

10 watt deadkey is way to much
it has a 2290 driver
only needs a 1 to 2 watt deadkey with a 15 to 20 watt swing
anymore and you will be seeing more watts that wont help

Open the radio and lower the dead key to about 1.5 to 2 watts, do not go above a 4 watt input Max on AM.
You may find that you will have more forward Modulation after you do that as well.
You should be OK on SSB, they have plenty of swamping built in anyway.

Jeff

Jeff

What do I turn and how far.?? as for SSB I should be fine pushing 20+ watts into the amp.??

Sounds like im going to have a good set-up as long as everything is tuned properly and is matching, Im unsure of the clarity on SSB on the fatboy that the only reason im purchasing the amp for SSB and maybe some AM.

Now in all reality, would I see even close to 900 watts if I run the box and radio properly.?? (In a small car)

VR-107 ( am pwr) will control the carrier level on AM/FM, I have never had a Fat-boy but I have played around with the X-force 1x4...basically the same thing and you could drive about 30 Pep watts into it...they pad the input a bit....
If it is B Bias and you keep the drive down it should be OK
900 watts pep?...depends on the meter you use.
I tell people not to get hung up on watt meters, on the air reports will tell you if you are over driving the amp on SSB.....if guys are telling you that you signal sounds distorted or crunchy back up on the drive....use Vr-104 ( it will say ALC) to lower the output on SSB.

Jeff

There are several issues and questions I have.

1) I'm betting that Fatboy is a class C AM box with a SSB delay switch only added. You need to confirm exactly what that amp has. It would be sack-religious to run a class C splatter box with a fine SSB radio like a 2510.

2) Verify that your car's electrical system can properly feed 80 amps and power the car. That amp will draw alot of amperage.

3) Who tuned your radio? That radio should swing an easy 20+ watts on AM or SSB. If not you need to get it in the hands of a good tech. The fact that you ask,"what do I have to turn and how far" makes me cringe. A 2510 is a complex radio, you can mess it up bad without the proper equipment and know how.

4) Who ever told you a 10 watt carrier into that amp is fine was smoking crack. Some thing like 1-3 watts dead key with 18-30 watts peak swing will be good.

6) In order to get even close to 900 watts all your ducks will have to be in a row. Antenna system, alternator and battery, proper radio tune and drive, and proper grounding. If the voltage level drops off and your 2510 only swings say 10-12 watts you won't see anywhere close to 900 watts.

Since the strong points of a 2510 is SSB performance a nice class AB amplifier is a must. At a minimum verify for sure that your Fatboy has AB bias and lower the AM dead key in the radio to 2 watts. What does the radio swing to on SSB? Good luck and I hope you can get things dialed in.

verify for sure that your Fatboy has AB bias
Good Luck with that.. I do not think any of the comp guys will go that far.....Most of them ( Concrete ) will preach all day that there is no distortion on SSB with a class c amp.
The guys at X Force will install B Bias, I do not know about Fat Boy....never had one.

jeff

Good Luck with that.. I do not think any of the comp guys will go that far.....Most of them ( Concrete ) will preach all day that there is no distortion on SSB with a class c amp.
The guys at X Force will install B Bias, I do not know about Fat Boy....never had one.

jeff

CCm is MIA in his Depends:love:

CCm is MIA in his Depends

Hahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahaha
Jesus..
I just blew shit all over the monitor.
Mack you do not know how many times I have tried to get CCM to act nice on this forum........I even bucked all the other Admins when they wanted to vaporize his user name off the face of the planet.
I have come to the conclusion that no mater what the Man can not play well with others...... unless your name is Dave.

Jeff

Hahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahaha
Jesus..
I just blew shit all over the monitor.
Mack you do not know how many times I have tried to get CCM to act nice on this forum........I even bucked all the other Admins when they wanted to vaporize his user name off the face of the planet.
I have come to the conclusion that no mater what the Man can not play well with others...... unless your name is Dave.

Jeff

Yes he has jock itch on his chin from playing with Dave.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.