• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fatboy 1x2290 drive 2x2879 mobile 500 watt Radio Linear Amplifier

What's your thoughts to the high drive KLV?

Drive) 300W Mobile Linear Amplifier (25-30 mhz)

RM Italy KL 503 HD (High Drive) 300W Mobile Linear Amplifier (25-30 mhz)KL 503 HD amplifier can take..
The 93t is too hot for the 503hd, it will only safely handle 35 pep swing. We've seem a few casualties in here with folks putting too much into them.
That radio like mentioned before will drive a 4 pill nicely.

Reactions: 575nightrider
Just curious if you're already setup with a power supply for an amp 575Knightrider?

The 93T is way too hot for any amplifier with a driver stage. That radio has a single 2290 final, it was one of the early higher powered radio's back in the day. To make it work with a 2 pill 2879 amp you will have to keep the power dialed back. A class AB or B biased 4 pill from one of the current amp builders would be perfect.

So why not just have the radio repaired correctly? Less coin then adding an amp and if the radio isn't working correctly on power, there may be more issues along with that.
Now I don't know what to do... I've already spent $255 to get it fixed If I put anymore cash in it I'll have more in it than its worth!! Then the question where and who can I get to fix it?
I got my D 104 on it and on low power & high power (the same) it dead keys 8w swings to 40w. If I can find a box I can re-set limits by lowering DK @VR-18 and VR14 will set upper limit.
I know I haven't looked to good to y'all but I am NOT a newbie. I've been in radio, mostly SSB since 1977.
I'm being factual when I say I have MS
(Multiple sclerosis (MS) is an unpredictable disease of the central nervous system that disrupts the flow of information within the brain, and between the brain and body. Multiple sclerosis is a disease that impacts the brain, spinal cord and optic nerves, which make up the central nervous system and controls everything we do.
My problem is remembering sometimes.
I really don't know what to do on my budget and a tight fisted wife.
Its the features & functions, NOT the higher power are what attracts me to the radio. It's got a really good clarifier, 6 digit frequency counter, 10k switch, I thought I'd just run it on lower power but I didn't think about further issues with it.
Now I'm all ears, lay it on me. What should I do, try to sell the radio as is? The fact is I've been trying for months to get back on the air and I'm about done trying

@575nightrider

Wait you said in another post that it only swung from 8w to 20w now your saying it swings to 40w. I am wondering if that is correct or a typo. If it swings to 40w then there was nothing wrong with the 2290.

@575nightrider

Wait you said in another post that it only swung from 8w to 20w now your saying it swings to 40w. I am wondering if that is correct or a typo. If it swings to 40w then there was nothing wrong with the 2290.
That was on a radio shack meter on a hand mic, I didn't have my Dosy meter and I just got my D104 on it. The difference is big. The mic made all the difference. Low medium and high power are all the same?

@575nightrider

This might sound crazy but what is the model number of your Dosy meter?
Does it have 3 separate meters or one large one?
There's a reason I ask:giggle:

It has been tested by Bells CB that the Dosy meters with the 3 separate meters do not read correctly. They don't do PEP. They read the wattage a lot lower than reality.
Heck none of them actually read correctly, but the single meter versions are a lot better than the 3 meter versions.
For example on the Dosy 3 meter versions, if the power meter reads:
150 watts its really 200 watts
300 watts is really 400 watts
375 watts is really 500 watts.

In your case, and that's only if you have a 3 meter version of the Dosy meter, if it reads 40 watts its really 53.3 watts. Which would mean your 2290 transistor is working just fine and the radio is tuned to factory specs of 50w PEP.

Last edited:

@575nightrider

This might sound crazy but what is the model number of your Dosy meter?
Does it have 3 separate meters or one large one?
There's a reason I ask:giggle:

It has been tested by Bells CB that the Dosy meters with the 3 separate meters do not read correctly. They don't do PEP. They read the wattage a lot lower than reality.
Heck none of them actually read correctly, but the single meter versions are a lot better than the 3 meter versions.
For example on the Dosy 3 meter versions, if the power meter reads:
150 watts its really 200 watts
300 watts is really 400 watts
375 watts is really 500 watts.

In your case, and that's only if you have a 3 meter version of the Dosy meter, if it reads 40 watts its really 53.3 watts. Which would mean your 2290 transistor is working just fine and the radio is tuned to factory specs of 50w PEP.
3 separate TC3001sw, I know it's just for a reference, close guess, people make them read what they want

3 separate TC3001sw, I know it's just for a reference, close guess, people make them read what they want
So did steve actually fix it?? Believe me, when I sent it to him it didn't have output on any meter! I've always run this radio on low pwr with a TS500HDV. This radio has never had a real tune up, I ask steve to do a tune up but he wouldn't tell me anything but "it has bugs". Why do you think he kept it so long?
I only need low pwr I never wanted it for a driver anyway it was all the other features. I hate to do it but do I need to get it to a ligit Tech, or should I say honest lol. Well, if it's working as it should maybe its time to sell it and re=invest in something newer?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.