• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FatBoy 6 Pill

Just remember the "Spike Diode" in Reactance Modulation keeps BIAS voltage from sinking below ground - but it does not stay steady - the output of the Modulator has both DC and a frequency component.

"The Negative peaks" you refer to are the phase relation impact, relative to the Audio Signal as if it was treated as an AC waveform - but are part of the envelope energy present.

Don't try to think of it as 2 dimensional - it is a dynamic power signal that has two main components, the frequency (sole source of Carrier power signal) and then the two sidebands add and subtracting power from the carrier (forming it's envelope) as a frequency and power component both above and below the frequency.

But to clarify, when I say above and below is The reference to the carrier - BIAS (DC) won't change that - but audio signal applied at any given moment to the frequency, gives us a Phase Relationship to the power of the Carrier and we now have envelope which forms from summing audio frequency and it's level of power as the vector of the audio energy added to (above frequency) and subtracted from (below frequency) - Power is still being added - only the carrier "seems" to disappear because it is surrounded by a power. Its' enveloped in audio power as an immediate vector sum or direction above and below the frequency AT THE SAME TIME - a mirror image.

Because the frequency of the carrier is used as the working (Or source) value, the audio frequency is the effort taken against that frequency (vector) and the audios' power is that vectors' distance from the carriers original level. (envelope) this may sound like FM but it isn't - we haven't changed the frequency, we are adding a summation of another frequency as audio which has a power level applied which we can call envelope.

When we look at "negative" energy, we have to be careful because the "pinch off" is real event, caused by audio frequency taking away DC bias. It's a real event, else if it was not, we would be running pure AC into the finals and letting the DC component handle the rest - no so - the negative energy event is what can be considered one of many events that can damage the output unit or distort the signal - because of the power level and it's vector is forcing energy to form an envelop below our ground reference - generating a reverse bias condition. Remember our Mirror it is the summation of audio frequency and power, a result of a heterodyne event - audio frequency adds and subtracts the main frequency to generate the sidebands. We are using either AM regulation to force DC values to "vary" at audio rates to generate envelope from the mixing event (summation) or Phase transformation thru the use of Reactance Modulation audio power and signal as vectors of frequency and power mixed with BIAS to create the envelope.

We get the same results, we are affecting DC BIAS in such a way that we have carrier, but it's is enveloped in a tube (so to speak) of audio power - it looks more like a circle with a dot - a big dot - only when we modulate the dot forms "rings" as audio envelope forms around the carrier because of the heterodyne event of audio signal and its power level generates a phase relationship to the carrier.

The Carrier signal is still there, only it gets surrounded by the envelope and seems to disappear when the audio envelope get more and more saturated and "envelops" the carrier as we see it.

Sorry for the HiJack in the thread. . .

But if this helps someone in properly driving an amp no matter what stage or boas condition - I hope it helps to understand the differences in carrier power, audio power, envelope and required bandwidth of all of them to work together.

Last edited:
https://www.w8ji.com/cb_amplifiers_convert_ham.htm
https://www.w8ji.com/amplitude_modulation.htm

equivalent or heating power.

saved me the trouble .
but...
class "C" 88 to 95 each in pairs, a bit more in a tuned circuit single ended.
For a linear transfer function barely 60 watts each in pairs and less if it has to cover several octaves (multiple bands as in general coverage amateur use).
The above is anecdotal personal experience and is under ideal antenna conditions as well as construction techniques.

Yes this comes up so often that I have it on a hot key. (actually just memorized) . I can't stress enough that a rock solid , low impedance , temperature tracking bias supply is mandatory , without exception , for accurate linear transfer function from input signal to output product.

For a 2SC2879 I estimate 50% tops efficiency as a linear and maybe 60% as a class "C" amplifier. Anything more I get is a bonus.

So when I hear 800w from four 2SC2879's in AB1 (can't happen they have no grid to draw current) "PEP" ....

... I've already stopped listening and possibly left the neighborhood.

Andy already beat me to it and Tom, if he isn't the final word on many subjects, is always worth reading. Make sure you bookmark Tom's site . Many of us here have downloaded it in it's entirety.

Just a thumbnail guesstmate from an old has been that never was. You are right on the edge of needing a dedicated alternator and battery sink for that setup. Just my own personal gut feeling, but then who knows? I could be full of shit.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?