• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FatBoy 6 Pill

5 X 5

Aug 26, 2018
I was a member here years back but can't remember name/password/email I used then... so here I am again.
Anyway, I run a Magnum 257HP with 4' Firestick in the pickup and does just fine for monitoring and traffic reports. I have a few more CB's, scanners and a 2 meter so always on the lookout for related equipment that is too good of a deal to pass up. Well yesterday I found it, an old looking FatBoy on the last day of an estate sale. They said it works, I was prepared to pay more but $10 is all they were asking. Can't believe it made it that long! Hell the copper in the humongous cables is worth more than that. Also picked up a Magnum S-3 with Astatic 636 for $5 in decent shape. Opened up the FatBoy today and looks like a 6 pill with Toshiba 2SC2879's. Sweet! A little dust on the board, nothing burnt and no loose connections I can find. Yet to power it up but feeling good about it working. Considering yanking the Magnum to use as a base station setup and looking for advice on decent antenna and whether the 80W Magnum 257HP would be a good choice to drive the FatBoy. Had my eye on Predator for years (local company to me) but never pulled trigger. Now thinking I might need something more substantial. All comments welcomed!

Did I re-join the wrong forum? I am a HAM too but end up using CB much more often. It is possible I was thinking of another forum when I signed back up. Is this not a CB friendly forum?

Thanks! Tomorrow I plan to lug a 200amp battery upstairs and get an area set up. When I bought it they asked if I knew what it was, I said yes, and they said it works with an assuring head nod and wide eyes. So I guess they were familiar ha. I have a basic test bench all packed in boxes but hooking directly to giant battery should be easier than unpacking. I won't be able to check the power but I can adjust SWR with a couple cheap antennas and listen in on another radio. Hoping the Magnum 257HP is an ideal match but would like suggestions for a roof mount antenna.
Thanks for the reply, Ron

it will cruise the straight six, don't expect full output but it will work. As to a suggestion for an antenna, I'm assuming you mean base. A Maco V5000 would be a decent start for small $

Of course this is just my .02, I have ran a straight 6 before with a 257HP. It didn't take long to swap to a single final radio and a driver

Reactions: 5 X 5
The Maco V5000 seems perfect for my spontaneous Frankensystem. I don't see myself getting anything that would overpower it. Thanks for suggestion. I am guessing I would be lucky to swing 1,000 watts with the 257HP/FatBoy combo, but how many amps will it pull? Now I am considering power supply option. My DC bench power is a measly 2A continuous. I do have inside connections in the battery world so may try running off of a bank for a while. Does anyone do that? Would cost more normally but I can get batteries for the price of the lead weight.

I'd look into a 150 amp PS for the amp.A cushion is always nice to have, but running batteries is doable for a short period of time. Keep an eye on voltage drop to avoid damage. Spend $20 and get a switching power supply from amazon for the radio power, I picked up a 30 amp supply from there for that cost with the ride. Expect to see around 600-700 just off the radio PEP. Like I said, it will cruise it along, nothing spectacular.

But I want spectacular ha! IF, the amp works, IF I get the antenna and IF the radio is the weakest link in the system, I will start looking. The estate sale I got the amp from is bringing in more stuff and opening up again Wednesday. I plan to be there by noon to look around, might find the power supply, radio and antenna...
Thanks again for the information.

I wish you the best man.

I see a bit of dust on the parts, so it looks like someone started some work to it, then stopped.

But otherwise the overall assembly looks like its just been sittin' there, waiting to be used.

Good pics, but I can only presume the amp was waiting for the right radio or buyer.

This is one of the "Cooler amps" - I'm referring to the metaphor, not the temperature :):)

Because its' "Raw" a breadboarded type, there is no drill thrus - it's all standoffs. The guy put it together, a true surface mount, but using discretes.

If someone like me was not thinking - I'd say he was making a poke at the SMD mess and did their own Surface Mount Disaster - showing how it could be done.

That's one heck of a deal on that amp and radio. Check out Megawatt for your power supplies.
http://megawattpowersupplies.com/
Although a bank of batteries would work, I would not do this unless they are AGM (sealed). Regular lead acid will vent hydrogen when they charge which is explosive. I have seen someone blow the top clean off a battery doing this for a stereo system. Hard use will also cause them to vent and they will tend to stay wet on top from the acid that seeps out during the venting process. Too much of a mess to put inside the house IMHO.
I am looking for a 6 pill myself, tuned in to see your results.
Chris

Thanks for info guys. And yes the only batteries I take home to run my inverter are sealed. I will snap a pic of the one I plan on using (150lbs of lead I think), but those MegaWatts look pretty robust. The voltage boost from a power supply over a battery bank has to be noticeable. I have been reading a few old threads on the straight 6. Never thought I would have one but I chalk it up to good clean living! Anyway, some say to put a 2 pill before it and others say just a radio DK of 25 watts or so is perfect. So I will try the Magnum 257HP, maybe the S3, or might have something else in the garage, or maybe my very fortunate deal will get expensive fast with a new radio, power supply, antenna...!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
With my financial genetics I could never be king of the superbowl! Going to try the Magnum, maybe get an echo mic and just have fun. Considering all my options, might get more use on the road, but would I need a new alternator? Hmm...

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.