• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FC 30 Freq Counter Question

curlyjo

Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Southern Calidornia
Can a FC 30 freq counter be easily wired to track on SSB on a 1990 Cobra 148 GTL Phily made? It comes with the wire harness. I would not want to bother with it if it only tracked on AM. Any Fourm members experiences with the FC 30? Thanks for reading!

Due to the nature of SSB not having a carrier and different oscillations in your voice, I would say it is unlikely an external frequency counter will track and stay locked on frequency.

If you don't own the FC-30 counter yet, you could look into the Dosy FC-50S,

This counter is more for testing purposes since it uses a supplied small mic that plugs into the back of the counter and you tape it on to your radio's mic to inject a tone into it while dead-keying the radio. This let's you check the frequency on SSB and is only accurate as the counter itself, I have one and it was very close.

Due to the nature of SSB not having a carrier and different oscillations in your voice, I would say it is unlikely an external frequency counter will track and stay locked on frequency.

If you don't own the FC-30 counter yet, you could look into the Dosy FC-50S,

This counter is more for testing purposes since it uses a supplied small mic that plugs into the back of the counter and you tape it on to your radio's mic to inject a tone into it while dead-keying the radio. This let's you check the frequency on SSB and is only accurate as the counter itself, I have one and it was very close.
Thank's I got a pass through freq counter all ready. Kind of wanted a freq counter that works on the 148 like the Galaxy / Superstar radios with the plug on the back.

• Displays the Frequency ALL the time, in RX and TX if using the modular jack connection.
  • External input jack accepts from 0.1 ~ 1V injected signal. using this connection displays frequency only in TX.
  • Hi - Med - Low stepping dimmer switch
  • Display: 6 Digit Bright LED
  • SSB Frequency: Auto Correction (when using modular jack connection)
  • R T/X Frequency: 10.695 MHz Built-In Adder (when using modular jack connection)
    (That means it can be used with any radio that has a 10.695 MHZ reference oscillator and it will
    add the offset numbers to display actual 27-28 Mhz frequency. This is only when using the modular jack

Sooo . . . if the ref osc isn't 10.695mz - it won't work - and the 148 ref osc isnt . . . meant for Rangers and some Galaxy radios IIRC . . .

• Displays the Frequency ALL the time, in RX and TX if using the modular jack connection.
  • External input jack accepts from 0.1 ~ 1V injected signal. using this connection displays frequency only in TX.
  • Hi - Med - Low stepping dimmer switch
  • Display: 6 Digit Bright LED
  • SSB Frequency: Auto Correction (when using modular jack connection)
  • R T/X Frequency: 10.695 MHz Built-In Adder (when using modular jack connection)
    (That means it can be used with any radio that has a 10.695 MHZ reference oscillator and it will
    add the offset numbers to display actual 27-28 Mhz frequency. This is only when using the modular jack
Sooo . . . if the ref osc isn't 10.695mz - it won't work - and the 148 ref osc isnt . . . meant for Rangers and some Galaxy radios IIRC . . .
Thank's Robb

Can a FC 30 freq counter be easily wired to track on SSB on a 1990 Cobra 148 GTL Phily made? It comes with the wire harness. I would not want to bother with it if it only tracked on AM. Any Fourm members experiences with the FC 30? Thanks for reading!

If the fc30 is like the galaxy 347/390 external counters, it will work. I wired a fc390 to my grant xl. There was a jumper inside the counter I had to remove..or add...I dont remember which, but it works(y)
Id have to do some searching to find the procedure, but I remember it wasnt that difficult.

If the fc30 is like the galaxy 347/390 external counters, it will work. I wired a fc390 to my grant xl. There was a jumper inside the counter I had to remove..or add...I dont remember which, but it works(y)
Id have to do some searching to find the procedure, but I remember it uctions?wasnt that difficult.
So it's tracking on SSB? Do you remember if it came with wiring instructions? Thank's

Yup.. here's the instructions I used I believe. I got mine on a trade deal. But like I said, fc30 may be different idk
Thank you Sideways! I am pretty close to pulling the triger and buying one. This all started a couple weeks ago when I put my 148 in my work truck. Forgot which way the Brt / Dim switches where suposed to be. The road map was at home. I don't run that radio alot; but I like it. Was looking in to buying a Superstar 3900 because it has a channel dail is on the front. They come with a freq plug on the back. I like the old school look of both radios. Got the 148 already. I really don't need another radio. 73's

Picture 089.jpg Picture 089.jpg Should work fine on a 148 GTL. Did mine a while ago on my 148 GTL DX over here in the U.K. Works on AM FM and SSB

These counters are getting hard to find here in the U.K. What are the prices of them over in the US.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated