• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FC-30 tuner on FT-897

W8ARR

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Mar 31, 2013
Columbus, Oh

Using a FC-30 tuner on FT-897. I have a G5RV and a MFJ-2220 20 meter mini-dipole. I also have an MFJ-949E tuner. The FC-30 isn't good for long wires (as I found out after I bought it). Just wondering if I could use my MFJ tuner for 80/40 meters and the FC-30 for 20 and above. Would I need to disable the tuner function in the FC-897 or not. Thanks &73

Art W8ARR

I had one of those radios for a few months. It's been a few years, but I only used a 949E at the time.

If I was in your situation, I would use the 949 exclusively. I believe you can quickly bypass the FC-30 can't you? If so, I suppose you could put the 949 after the FC-30 and and switch it to bypass mode while your using the FC-30. When you want to use your 40/80 meter wire, just quickly push the tune button to bypass the FC-30 and select which antenna port your going to use on the 949 and load the wire up on the MFJ.

This is only if you can quickly bypass the FC-30. I believe you can, but I'm not sure.

Anyways, I'd dump the FC-30 and use the MFJ. Maybe you could sell it and raise funds for a good LDG or MFJ autotuner. I use the MFJ-929. It works really well and tunes a wider range than any LDG.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.