• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FCC at the tolls and scales

Having an amp in -line is illegal. Having an export radio is not.
How would you prove you don't xmit on it?? You would loose in court and spend a lot trying to prove it.

As said here:
§95.426 (CB Rule 26) Do I have to make my CB station available for inspection?

(a) If an authorized FCC representative requests to inspect your CB station, you must make your CB station and records available for inspection.
(b) A CB station includes all of the radio equipment you use.

An Export is NOT a type accepted CB..you loose

Reactions: 3 people
How would you prove you don't xmit on it?? You would loose in court and spend a lot trying to prove it.

As said here:

(a) If an authorized FCC representative requests to inspect your CB station, you must make your CB station and records available for inspection.

Boom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 people
Simple answer to the problem... don't run an export, hopped up cb or an amp in your vehicle. If you do then spin the wheel and wait for your number to come up.

Or you could...wait for it....... get your ham ticket and not worry about it.

I grew up in brighton park (42 western)not too many places that i knew of to get tested . i actually got my T and General in the same day in the 90's .

i think if the testing was advertised and more frequent I believe more would join .

Would love to hear more people on the air legally and with etiquette .
Imo if the average cb guy knew about 2 meter repeaters, they would be more inclined to test .

i do get on the cb and recruit SOME operators who are professional sounding .

As said here:

No. They cannot take the radio or punish you in any way for owning an export radio. There is nothing to prove and certainly not in a court room. Unless they have proof of you transmitting THEY CAN NOT DO ANYTHING. IT IS NOT ILLEGAL.

CBRadioMagazine.com - Legal Mumbo Jumbo, CB Radio & the Law

Maybe you don't understand English very well or something.

Is not illegal to own an export radio.
It is not illegal to scan frequencies using an export radio.
It is illegal to transmit on a export radio if you are not a licensed ham operator.

Look it up instead of just parroting others.

You are right its NOT illegal to own the radio but if it's mounted in your car hooked up to an antenna then you will be assumed to have xmitted on the CB. You will be guilty by association. As quoted from the link provided: To clarify this further – unless you are a licensed ham radio operator it is illegal to transmit with one of these radios period. They will associate you with xmitting off that radio.

You try it in court and see how it comes out...

Oh and I never said anything insulting yet you found the need to insult... sorry but I am done...

Reactions: 5 people
You are right its NOT illegal to own the radio but if it's mounted in your car hooked up to an antenna then you will be assumed to have xmitted on the CB. You will be guilty by association. As quoted from the link provided: To clarify this further – unless you are a licensed ham radio operator it is illegal to transmit with one of these radios period. They will associate you with xmitting off that radio.

You try it in court and see how it comes out...

Oh and I never said anything insulting yet you found the need to insult... sorry but I am done...

EXACTLY! A licensed amateur radio operator may legally possess and use an export radio.A CBer however may NOT use one and if one is installed it is presumed to have been used just like if a linear amp is found to have been installed.

Nick23, perhaps it is you that cannot read and understand english as the link you posted in fact does not say anything in agreement with what you said pertaining to export radio use by CBers. Not trying to be confrontational here but just responding in kind to your attitude.

In a nutshell, exports radios are 100% legal for a licensed amateur radio operator to use. Export radios are 100% illegal for use on CB by anyone whether they hold an amateur radio license or not. Export radios installed by a non-licensed person and operational will be considered as having been used and as such constitute an illegal radio installation and places the owner in a state of illegal operation and subject to FCC action.

Any discussion about having one installed and only listening to it is completely irrelevant in the eyes of the law and is simply wishful thinking in the eyes of the operator.

Reactions: 7 people
I hold a commercial license and the rules between a regular DL and Commercial are quite different. I have not experienced this FCC at the scales as I run intra state and drive a state truck also..I basically get a automatic green light but a few years a go I was running from Ca to NY and felt like I was a criminal even though I was doing nothing wrong. it seems you have no rights what so ever as a citizen at the inspection stations and especially since 911. This Homeland security has effected Americans 100% and if you live in an other country it affects your daily life about 0%. Russia has more freedoms than we do but we are not supposed to believe this because we enact laws only for our protection?? And the founding fathers knew this that we would take away our freedoms and rights which we now do not have any more. If you are readily giving up your rights in America YOU are UNAMERICAN!!

Thanks for clearing this up. I didn't know regular and CDL were so different. Learn something new everyday.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

the big trucks were getting harrased and searched cant say the little cars were for sure .

Smell bs ? im bet you think the police cant disarm us either . i bet you think we still have freedom of speech too.

I have no reason to lie .

Calm down big guy.

All a driver would need to do is to toss his mic out of the window before he comes to a stop at the checkpoint. So long as he doesn't have a 'linyer' in line or any more mics, there is no way an inspection or NAL will hold up in court. Better to ditch the mic than to put up with the agents' bellyaching.

Many years ago I was pulled over by a sheriff that had nothing better to do than to roust me late one night. After a very hard day at work - too. He found a baseball bat and said "You're going to jail." I laughed at him; couldn't help it really. I said "keep looking and maybe you can really get me on something worthwhile." Of course he took the bait. He then found a pouch that contained two softballs. He cut me loose and hardly said a word.

The appearance of guilt is a perception and does not necessarily mean one is guilty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
All a driver would need to do is to toss his mic out of the window before he comes to a stop at the checkpoint. So long as he doesn't have a linyer in line, there is no way a NAL will hold up in court. Better to ditch the mic than to put up with the agents' bellyaching.

Many years ago I was pulled over by a sheriff that had nothing better to do than to roust me. After a very hard day at work - too. He found a baseball bat and said "You're going to jail." I laughed at him; couldn't help it really. I said "keep looking any maybe you can really get me on something worthwhile." Of course he took the bait. He then found a pouch that contained two softballs. he cut me loose.

The appearance of guilt does not mean one is guilty.

Or just unscrew your coax from the back of the radio. Radio not inline.

Try both of the above scenarios in court and see how they REALLY play out. In BOTH cases the radio was installed which implies intent. Yeah I know you can't PROVE intent but installing a radio and claiming you did not use it is pretty weak. Besides nobody installs a radio inless they intend to use it at some point in time and with human nature being what it is you can bet it was being used.

Rates right up there with shooting someone and ditching the magazine. No magazine on you so you could not have possibly been the shooter right?

Last edited:
CBRadioMagazine.com - Legal Mumbo Jumbo, CB Radio & the Law

Maybe you don't understand English very well or something.

it is illegal to transmit on a export radio if you are not a licensed ham operator.

well, that depends on the xmit freq .

ALL exports ARE illegal to use on any CB freq by anyone...PERIOD

BTW,.. even the "expert" site you linked says that all the info provided is second handed and NOT legal advice.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.