• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FCC at the tolls and scales

Having been here a while, I can vouch for Shioda as being the most qualified forum member to answer these questions when he stops in and that is an asset that is appreciated.

I will Echo What Shockwave said in Thanking Shioda for spending time here on the Forum.

As for sunsetting CB radio, I think that would be a very very difficult task, requiring more manpower than the FCC could afford.
I really doubt that they get much more than 1% of the people violating the rules on the books now, much less enforcing new regulations.
When the old 23 channel radios were retired, I doubt they thought any of them would last this long, however many are still on the air today.
With 100 of thousands radios floating around today, and people using them,
It is like trying to prohibit alcohol, and we know how well that went.
Freeband is alive and well, worldwide I might add, not just here in the US.
The courts have slapped the FCC`s hand more than once in regards to CB radio, just like the now infamous "list" of radios that the FCC had to admit in court was not valid.

Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
simple solution. sunset CB on 11 meters. put it on a set of frequencies that does not skip like 11 meters. or just relax the rules enjoy the commerce and tax revenue that this activity generate. this is a old discussion and will never be solved until and when the cb service as we know it today is ended. Change the frequencies to the 50 MHZ band or something like that. this is starting to sound like a old Radio Ray post. ( God rest his soul). 73

Oh God please don't suggest that. Six meters is at 50-54 MHz and it still has skywave propagation now and then. The last thing we need on 6m is intruders moving in from next door because they want to "freeband" outside their new band.

Reactions: 2 people
I will Echo C/K in Thanking Shioda for spending time here on the Forum.

As for sunsetting CB radio, I think that would be a very very difficult task, requiring more manpower than the FCC could afford.
I really doubt that they get much more than 1% of the people violating the rules on the books now, much less enforcing new regulations.
When the old 23 channel radios were retired, I doubt they thought any of them would last this long, however many are still on the air today.
With 100 of thousands radios floating around today, and people using them,
It is like trying to prohibit alcohol, and we know how well that went.
Freeband is alive and well, worldwide I might add, not just here in the US.
The courts have slapped the FCC`s hand more than once in regards to CB radio, just like the now infamous "list" of radios that the FCC had to admit in court was not valid.

Jeff

:blink: I know I was half asleep all day yesterday having no sleep after another round of night shifts but i don't remember saying that. in fact i didn't. Shockwave did. :laugh: I will simply agree with it however. (y)

With TV going digital, I think any harmful harmonic interference from CB radios is minimized. Manufacturers could increase the power of the CB, while keeping harmonics in check. The FCC could really give a boost to CB users by allowing manufacturers to increase the power, but keeping the prohibition on external amps.

Reactions: 2 people
I must agree increase the available power on cb. Make the free bands so called as they are legal. offer FM cb channels for the FM crowd. who are the free banders hurting? my only complaint is the 10 meter thing the MFG could and should omit the 10 mtr band all together on the Export radio. now with the new smd and computer programmable radios how hard could it be. Like I said this so called problem will never end! as long as cb radio is here. Another thought is to give the truckers a group of freq's just for them. and or move the cb band to a unused freq band if you can find one. since you dislike my idea at 50 mhz. try 42 MHz the old public service band. no simple answer never was. Never will be. everyone has a agenda. after reading my own post I now know how drunk I got last night. Ha ha.

The FCC could really give a boost to CB users by allowing manufacturers to increase the power, but keeping the prohibition on external amps.

I would agree, however getting the FCC to do something is not easy, and there is not much help from CB users themselves.

I have been on this forum since before it started ( yes ) , and I have seen thousands of posts suggesting what the FCC should and should not do.
Back in 2010 the FCC opened comments about changes to CB radio ( part 95) to the public.
One of the specific questions asked by the FCC was :

Is there harm in allowing CB operators to communicate in sky wave mode, or would such an allowance tempt the use of illegal amplifiers which cause interference?

They were asking the users of the CB band this Question.
I seriously doubt that more than a handful bothered to take time to mail/email their comments to the FCC.
I had my Ham ticket at that time, but I filled comments that there would be no harm in dropping the 155 mile rule, as it extremely difficult to enforce, and there is no physical way to stop propagation from happening anyway, regardless of the law.
I wrote that I supported directional antennas as they are useful during times of intense propagation considering the low power levels that CB is restricted to.
I commented that it was reasonable in my opinion to increase the power limit to 100 watts to be effective during times of high solar activity.

I also commented the the "Rule" defining CB band operations needed to be modified to include defining the service as a hobby service, stating that the CB service is no longer used only as a low power service for business or personal communications, and has evolved since its inception back in 1958*.
If every user in the CB service was willing to sit down and spend 10 minutes writing the FCC, it would flood the e-mail and postal mail of the agency in overwhelming proportions.
I will get off the soapbox now, but it was an very good opportunity, now missed, to have.
It is just like voting, a very important right we have as citizens of this country, that in some cases, less than 60% of the population will take the time to do........

Nuff said.

Jeff

*The CB service was actually created in 1948, the original CB Radios were designed for operation on the 460–470 Megacycle UHF band.
Ultra-high frequency (UHF) radios, at the time, were neither practical nor affordable for the average consumer. On September 11, 1958, the Class D CB service was created on 27 MHz, and this band became what is popularly known today as CB. Originally, there were 23 CB channels in the U.S.; the 40-channel band plan was implemented in 1977.

Reactions: 4 people
Emailing comments regarding the proceeding is ineffective. If you want your comment to be read you need to draft them and either scan or publish them to pdf and upload them here under "submit a filing" Proceeding 10-119

Manufacturers have asked that the power be increased and that sub audio digital signals be allowed on CB.

Reactions: 3 people
Emailing comments regarding the proceeding is ineffective. If you want your comment to be read you need to draft them and either scan or publish them to pdf and upload them here under "submit a filing" Proceeding 10-119

Manufacturers have asked that the power be increased and that sub audio digital signals be allowed on CB.

I actually read each and every one of these comments

I know what company you represent, .... and I don't have any problems with that, but,............when one of the comments was made that raising output power to 10 watts would help to stop the use of amplifiers below 28 MHZ,........... well, gee, I just dunno 'bout that

"... Ranger would propose that the Commission modify the rules to allow for 10 watts of power, while requiring attenuation of
any resulting harmonics to the same levels they would be at under current rules. By increasing the power of certified radios, less users would be tempted to add amplifiers to their transmitters."​
I assume the 10 watts is Avg. if manufactured radio are limited to 10 watts output, then , the standard output power will have to be lowered as most legal, stock rigs for sale today can do more than that (PEP) right out of the box.​

harmonics are not a direct function of output power levels, a signal can splatter just as badly @ 4 watts PEP as it can @ 400 watts PEP.

lets be honest here and stop blowing smoke up our own south-sides, even as I post this, there is a thread on this forum about a certain (RF keyed) amp that only takes a 4 watt (max) DK to drive it. I don't have any issues with that either (as long as the splatter stays COMPLETELY on 27 MHz and on or below 27.405 too)

Last edited:
Why just incorporate 11 meters back into the ham bands like it was. Give Techs rights on it just like ten meters.

Pretty much because with all the current CB radios out there 11m would truly become a clusterfuck more than it is now with all the "them and us" bullshit being conducted on the air between the two "factions".

About 5 or 6 years ago us CB guys here in New Jersey were getting harassed by a local Ham guy. He would use his high power stuff to cover us up, record and play back what we sounded like, just over and over. 3 of us got together, contacted the FCC, New York Office, we had to fax them the issues we were having and sign the statements, which we all did, they did come out and investigate the Ham guy, gave him a warning but no fine and he stopped being a jerk. I got a visit from an FCC officer, I was in my garage with a Lafayette SSB-140 hooked up, he introduced himself, asked where my radio was, I pointed to the desk, he thanked me and left. Never checked output, didn't check for extra channels just saw it was a CB radio and went on his way. He was nice, not nasty at all.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.