• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FCC Fines CBer for Operating Illegal Transmitter With Linear

ARRL

Nov 15, 2008
Helping to alleviate concerns that it rarely polices the Citizens Radio Service (CB), the FCC has fined an Alaska CBer $500 for “willfully and repeatedly” operating a non-certificated CB transmitter with an RF linear amplifier which, the Commission said, violated federal law and its rules and “voided his authority to operate his CB station.”

In a Forfeiture Order released October 30, the FCC not...

More...

CBer?? Safety of life operations on 21.965??? Misprint of frequency perhaps. Usually they call them unlicensed hams when that far from 11m and that close to a ham band.

I'd like to have a gander at this HF direction finding center.

It is basically an Adcock array that has about 60 or so vertical elements and is electronically rotatable and quite directional.

Go to Google Earth and enter 7435 Oakland Mills Road, Columbia Maryland. That is the FCC main monitoring station. Slightly to the southeast of the main buildings is the antenna array. It looks like a big circle about 450 feet in diameter with the receiver building in the middle.

Reactions: 1 person
It is basically an Adcock array that has about 60 or so vertical elements and is electronically rotatable and quite directional.

Go to Google Earth and enter 7435 Oakland Mills Road, Columbia Maryland. That is the FCC main monitoring station. Slightly to the southeast of the main buildings is the antenna array. It looks like a big circle about 450 feet in diameter with the receiver building in the middle.

I can't view it on my computer for whatever reason. From your description, it sounds more like an Elephant Cage. Are the two antenna arrays related?

RT307

:oops: I think you are right. I called it an Adcock array but i think it is an Elephant cage array. The real name for it is a Wullenweber antenna.

http://www.fas.org/irp/program/collect/chicksands-1989.jpg

Yep, that's it! A good friend of mine used to monitor on one that was in Hawaii when he was in the Army. Curiously, the info I pulled up said they are outdated due to newer technology. I really wonder what kind of stuff is out there now.

RT307

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.