• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FCC Fines CBer for Operating Illegal Transmitter With Linear

:oops: I think you are right. I called it an Adcock array but i think it is an Elephant cage array. The real name for it is a Wullenweber antenna.

http://www.fas.org/irp/program/collect/chicksands-1989.jpg

Brought back memories of a similar HFDF antenna near Imperial Beach CA. I saw it many times from Interstate 5 when I was down in the San Diego area but never actually visited or was even curious. Looks to be just about 1300 feet in diameter; probably close to the same size as the one in Maryland. According to GE, the Imperial Beach site was decommissioned in 1999.

Brought back memories of a similar HFDF antenna near Imperial Beach CA. I saw it many times from Interstate 5 when I was down in the San Diego area but never actually visited or was even curious. Looks to be just about 1300 feet in diameter; probably close to the same size as the one in Maryland. According to GE, the Imperial Beach site was decommissioned in 1999.

WHAT?!! You saw an antenna like that and were not even curious? :unsure:Harrumph.......and you call yourself an amateur radio operator. Tsk tsk.

:laugh: JK

Reactions: 1 person
Well, maybe a LITTLE curious ... the first few times, I was on a Navy bus getting carted around to various places while in boot camp. Never did make it to the top of my current-at-the-time "to do" list, even when I had my own wheels and wasn't in uniform except one weekend a month/2 weeks a year.

As I said, seeing this thread shook a few long-idle synapses into service and it didn't take very long at all to find the site - right where I remembered!

About 10 miles from home there is a Naval transmitting station. It has several 550 foot towers supporting an inverted conical LF antenna as well as several fixed wideband directional arrays. There are also three Rhode & Schwartz rotatable LPDA's. The boom sections are about 65 feet long from center and are shaped like a Y and support heavy wires. They are fully operational over the entire HF range from 3 MHz to 30 MHz. Look on Google Earth and enter

N44 58' 16.12" W63 59' 04.5" for the LPDA's and their shadows. The various other arrays including the LF array is just slightly south of the LPDA's.

I would love to have all the copper buried on that site. They used radials, screens, mats , and even solid sheets.

CK

How far are you from the CBC/RCI Sackville relay station and has it been torn dow? Is there anything going on there nowadays?

CK

How far are you from the CBC/RCI Sackville relay station and has it been torn dow? Is there anything going on there nowadays?

RCI Sackville is at 45°53'35.46" N 64°19'20.71" W and my house is at 45°02'37.97" N 64°11'28.76" W. It is only about 60 miles as the crow flies but is a 2 1/2 hour drive because of the way you have to go. I was up that way past the site in mid-August and at that point nothing was done. Everything was still intact but it was not on the air. I suspect it will be dismantled in the future. :cry:

RCI Sackville is at 45°53'35.46" N 64°19'20.71" W and my house is at 45°02'37.97" N 64°11'28.76" W. It is only about 60 miles as the crow flies but is a 2 1/2 hour drive because of the way you have to go. I was up that way past the site in mid-August and at that point nothing was done. Everything was still intact but it was not on the air. I suspect it will be dismantled in the future. :cry:

Kinda sad after reading this:

Sackville, N.B. residents to lose landmark radio transmission towers | CTV Atlantic News

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.