• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FCC taking comments for HOA Restrictions For Emergency Communications

Great Post.
It it will be in the interest`s of all Amateur Op`s to comment on this, even if you are in an area that has NO restrictions on antennas or antenna structure's.

Quick Summary:

What private land use restrictions on residential antenna installations have amateur radio
operators encountered?

What information is available regarding the prevalence of such
restrictions?

What are the effects of unreasonable and unnecessary restrictions on the
amateur radio community's ability to use the Amateur Radio Service?

What criteria distinguish “unreasonable or unnecessary” private land use restrictions from
reasonable and necessary restrictions?

And
Interested parties may file comments on or before the dates indicated on the first page of this
document.Comments may be filed using the Commission’s Electronic Comment Filing System (ECFS).
See Electronic Filing of Documents in Rulemaking Proceedings, 63 Fed. Reg. 24121-01 (1998). In order
to facilitate staff review of the record, commenting parties should organize their comments, where
applicable, using the above headings.

Here is your chance to voice your concerns to the FCC about what has become a problem for many Op`s that are being told they can not have a visible antenna, or other restrictions.

Thanks for Posting.

Jeff

last time i checked , your antenna can be 60 feet out of the tallest tree .

if you live in a fly zone, you have to get an engineer to give it an ok .

al long as you do not cause microwaves , phones , tv's etc to modulate or disrupt communications on the ham band , FCC has no right to come on ya property for anything .

number 4 . if you here voices pack ya bags and move to another location . lol lol lo lol must be some crazy guys on 80 meters looking at them tubes glow , or an 11 meter junkie at it again . ;)

last time i checked , your antenna can be 60 feet out of the tallest tree .

An HOA may dictate that there be absolutely no antennas regardless of height. Period.

if you live in a fly zone, you have to get an engineer to give it an ok .
What does a no fly zone have to do with antenna erection? No fly zones are for security or safety purposes.

al long as you do not cause microwaves , phones , tv's etc to modulate or disrupt communications on the ham band , FCC has no right to come on ya property for anything .
What does this have to do with HOA's?

number 4 . if you here voices pack ya bags and move to another location . lol lol lo lol must be some crazy guys on 80 meters looking at them tubes glow , or an 11 meter junkie at it again . ;)

Did you actually read and understand what this thread is about?:unsure:

Reactions: 2 people
An HOA may dictate that there be absolutely no antennas regardless of height. Period.

What does a no fly zone have to do with antenna erection? No fly zones are for security or safety purposes.

What does this have to do with HOA's?

Did you actually read and understand what this thread is about?:unsure:

read again guys ive answered all the ????? only is certain private neighborhoods that people make up these laws and regulations so a judge will kind of pass it while getting his palms greased. its hard to be a technician and brains . as long as we are talking about amateur radio there is no such thing as HOA's in NJ by me . this so called HOA sounds more like a biker club or a group that is not affliliated with my surroundings . im waiting for the die hard hams to quote on this big topic , nor i dont think they are not really worried about an organization that is built on fear and abusing there power just because someone puts up a bigstick or a cubical quad . pleaseeeeeeeeeeee:bdh:

OK, so great, you do not have an HOA were you live, so blow it off right?

No reason you should get involved and help voice the concerns `s of 1000`s of other Hams that do have to deal with it right?

Screw that, just because my neighborhood is good, why should it concern me that my fellow Amateur Radio operators find themselves `s in housing developments, city`s or county`s that pass new city laws or rules that out right prohibit radio antennas, or so severely restricts antenna installations as to have the same material effect of making Amateur Radio operation on the HF bands almost impossible.

:headbang :headbang :headbang

Jeff

OK, so great, you do not have an HOA were you live, so blow it off right?

No reason you should get involved and help voice the concerns `s of 1000`s of other Hams that do have to deal with it right?

Screw that, just because my neighborhood is good, why should it concern me that my fellow Amateur Radio operators find themselves `s in housing developments, city`s or county`s that pass new city laws or rules that out right prohibit radio antennas, or so severely restricts antenna installations as to have the same material effect of making Amateur Radio operation on the HF bands almost impossible.

:headbang :headbang :headbang

Jeff

i would love to get involved but that means i gotta do things that are illegal , and that my friend is alot of fun . so i have to keep it low key , make it look like them bad dogs dissapered all at once and got swept away .

sure i can help tell me what ya need to happen , we can do anything . i can get over 10,000 signatures to get things abolished .

the state of conn, and mass or natorious for that bullshit about what kind of antenna you can put on , but it really comes down to FCC that is our friend.

i have to look in this matter a little bit more clearly about other state towns restrictions . ^can not stand it^

read again guys ive answered all the ????? only is certain private neighborhoods that people make up these laws and regulations so a judge will kind of pass it while getting his palms greased. its hard to be a technician and brains . as long as we are talking about amateur radio there is no such thing as HOA's in NJ by me . this so called HOA sounds more like a biker club or a group that is not affliliated with my surroundings . im waiting for the die hard hams to quote on this big topic , nor i dont think they are not really worried about an organization that is built on fear and abusing there power just because someone puts up a bigstick or a cubical quad . pleaseeeeeeeeeeee:bdh:

I still don't think you fully understand what an HOA is and what kind of teeth they have. I also have a hard time believing that there are none in NJ. perhaps just not in the neighborhood you live in. They are 100% legal bodies that can and will dictate certain does and don'ts of what you can and cannot do with your property including the complete banning of any form of outside antennas.

The big problem with HOA's is that you enter into the agreement willingly (OK maybe you don't want the conditions but have to agree to them to live there) and therefore you do not have a legal leg to stand on when it comes to breaking the agreement. Even PRB-1 only allows for hams to erect antennas in cities, towns, counties etc. that have bans on antennas and then even it has restrictions as to "reasonable accommodations". PRB-1 has no effect on areas under an HOA agreement. The FCC is looking for info to draft up legislation to allow hams exemptions to the HOA's based on the hams ability to handle emergency traffic if/when the need arises.As it is right now the FCC has been looking at the HOA's as a contract that has been entered into willingly and refused to do anything about it. As more and more areas are being governed under HOA's they have finally woken up and are considering laws exempting hams from facing total banning of their antennas.

Personally i would shoot myself before I would live in an area where a group of people could tell me what I could and could not do with my own property. When I put up the new tower last fall I did not have to even get a building permit for it. Good thing as I hadn't planned to get one anyway.

Reactions: 1 person
Yes it is but some are not even gated. They are just all together in a newly developed area.

My sister n bil own a house in a gated community....the house is next to a designated wetland and a woods.....no problems with the hoa....its like living in the country....deer and blue herrings walk up into the yard all the time......there are rules like no basketball hoops and no bass boats in the drive....and you pay for garbage removal and snow removal.

My sister n bil own a house in a gated community....the house is next to a designated wetland and a woods.....no problems with the hoa....its like living in the country....deer and blue herrings walk up into the yard all the time......there are rules like no basketball hoops and no bass boats in the drive....and you pay for garbage removal and snow removal.

Right and some HOA's have almost no rules and others have insane totalitarian rules with a bunch of pricks on the board that run out every day with a ruler checking to make sure everybody's grass has been cut to the proper length. I see the point of having some rules to protect property values and the looks of the community as a whole but sometimes things get taken far too far. Things like no junked cars in the yard and no peeling paint on the house etc are fine but no antennas whatsoever and no RV's parked so they are visible from the street along with grass length and watering are crazy.

Right and some HOA's have almost no rules and others have insane totalitarian rules with a bunch of pricks on the board that run out every day with a ruler checking to make sure everybody's grass has been cut to the proper length. I see the point of having some rules to protect property values and the looks of the community as a whole but sometimes things get taken far too far. Things like no junked cars in the yard and no peeling paint on the house etc are fine but no antennas whatsoever and no RV's parked so they are visible from the street along with grass length and watering are crazy.

And definitely NO whirligigs! :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.