• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FCC taking comments for HOA Restrictions For Emergency Communications

the dammed HOA made me take down my pink plastic flamingos*Don`t do it*

HOA or not, if you lived next door to me I would have taken them down myself. Well unless they were accompanied by a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY sign for your wife and then i could live with them for a couple days. :D

I am still deciding how much my life is worth while contemplating that stunt for my wife's 50'th birthday next year. :whistle:

Reactions: 1 person
So if I understand this correctly they want HAMs to comment on how a Home Owners Association might deter their ('their' meaning the HAM operator) abilities to assist in emergency communications, should such a situation arise at some point in time, due to the restrictions on what type of antennas (and towers?) can or can not be erected on the HAM operator's own property?

Attachments

• flamingo.jpg
    flamingo.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 307
Basically you are correct.
HOA`s, Counties, and City's can, and sometimes do intact restrictions on antennas, towers and other structure's that severally limit what can be put up....
There was a guy not long ago that bought some land outside of a town, built his house, He went to the County, filed for and got Permits and started putting up his towers.
All nice and legal but some of his neighbors started a ruckus about him spoiling the view of the mountains...this was not in a city, but a rural area.

I do not think you have to be a Ham to comment, generally they are asking for "public" comment so I think anyone can comment.

This is the kind of reaction you often get when you put up a tower, on your own property...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC_EeWSKJII

Note he keeps it cranked down when not in use.

Jeff

Oh God no. :cry: NONE at all!! In fact they should be banned everywhere. (y)

My uncle Frank started making those whirligigs after he retired from Lordstown GM as a hobby....everytime he come up here he brought a bunch of them with him as presents.....he expected me to put cut-outs of the Cleveland Indians mascot "Chief Wahoo" in my front yard in Detroit Tigers country.....that would just be asking for trouble...ha ha.....the only one I ever put up was a bird that when the wind blowed the wings would spin....it stayed there for 25yrs until it fell apart. :)

Basically you are correct.
HOA`s, Counties, and City's can, and sometimes do intact restrictions on antennas, towers and other structure's that severally limit what can be put up....
There was a guy not long ago that bought some land outside of a town, built his house, He went to the County, filed for and got Permits and started putting up his towers.
All nice and legal but some of his neighbors started a ruckus about him spoiling the view of the mountains...this was not in a city, but a rural area.

I do not think you have to be a Ham to comment, generally they are asking for "public" comment so I think anyone can comment.

This is the kind of reaction you often get when you put up a tower, on your own property...

Antenna Stirs Up Controversy - YouTube

Note he keeps it cranked down when not in use.

Jeff

Old women have too much time on their hands...so they got to find something to bitch about...most of the old 2 story houses in this town have tv antenna towers close to that tall...I guess things change when you get into the McMansion neighborhoods. :D

here in rural East Texas, a friend encountered a HOA problem. not a gated community, her privacy fence was the wrong color. had to hire painters to return and redo it. glad I am more rural,~~

Yes, it can get a little out of hand.
I think it would benefit everyone to just take 5 min and write a few words in a comment to the FCC and see if we can get them to make Amateur op`s exempt.
You do not need to write a 5 page letter, one page, a few words and how you think it would serve the public in general to allow this.
Or if you are not in favor of an exemption, that is you right as well.
Just do not let the comment time go by with out doing anything.
If we do not,

The result will be that they will make a decision with no input from anyone.

Jeff

Yes, it can get a little out of hand.
I think it would benefit everyone to just take 5 min and write a few words in a comment to the FCC and see if we can get them to make Amateur op`s exempt.
You do not need to write a 5 page letter, one page, a few words and how you think it would serve the public in general to allow this.
Or if you are not in favor of an exemption, that is you right as well.
Just do not let the comment time go by with out doing anything.
If we do not,

The result will be that they will make a decision with no input from anyone.

Jeff

Cbers also. (y)

I cannot count the times we have assisted in emergency situations over the years.

Tv antenna are already exempt

Captain Kilowatt

An HOA may dictate that there be absolutely no antennas regardless of height. Period.

The FCC has overruled the HOA Natzis in regard to TV antennas (One meter or less).

Personally i would shoot myself before I would live in an area where a group of people could tell me what I could and could not do with my own property. When I put up the new tower last fall I did not have to even get a building permit for it. Good thing as I hadn't planned to get one anyway.

Amen
If everyone refused to sign the agreement( even if that means not buying the house) when the house was new the HOAs would not exist.

On the other hand it could be argued that people agreed to the restrictions before they moved in.

And if you were tricked into something you didn't agree to (Like they changed the rules after), study the rules and fight them, park an old manure spreader on the lawn (landscape art) or whatever they forgot to specifically forbid (and they forgot something).

You might not win and the neighbors might hate you, but they would be secretly pooling money to buy you out (hold out for enough to move up to a more rural home).

I say that kind of jokingly cause I know 99% of the people that live there want it that way of they would live elsewhere.

I think the die hard hams will say if you can't hide an antenna from the neighbors you aren't trying hard enough.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.