• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FedEx experience with FCC

C W Morse

Apr 3, 2005
Retired
In reading some back material on the 10 meter issue, I emailed FedEx and asked them if they would be willing to share their policy on 10 Meter radios. While I have the email from their attorney, I cannot actually publish it here; don't want to get in dutch from some attorneys! :)

But they confirmed that there is now a standing policy against any illegal act or equipment, or other actions that violate Federal or State law, OR FCC regulations. So, they DO prohibit "10 meter" radios in their trucks along with UPS. It has now been included in the employee handbook supplied to all employees. Any persons having "non-compliant" radio equipment may face termination if discovered.

This is basically what Mr Hollingsworth suggests to the companies when served with a warning notice. So ideally, this is where this will eventually go as companies are made aware that their drivers are violating the law. Other companies are implementing the same policy. Simple, to the point, and effective and the companies are cooperating to the fullest. 8)

If anyone wants to see the actual email reply I received, I will respond via PM

CWM

Old news to most. might be new to some.
But what is the point to this post? just another dig?
We all know that all export type radios are illegal to transmit on. But the Govt still allows them to be imported,no enforcement here.
The govt still allows them to be sold. Token enforcement on this point.
the govt still allows the radios to be repaired,modded,and wide banded ect Very token enforcement here.
The Govt allows amps to be built and sold on the internet and in stores all over the USA mostly no enforcement here.
How hard would it be to stop all this Illegal activity not very hard at all. just look up most of the sellers on gOOgle.com but the will is just not their to do it.
Thr govt did nothing to stop this problem for years Hell it mostly created it by lack of enforcement of it's own rules and now only does it to shut some very vocal hams up. As Reilly H said at dayton to the ham community "lighten up" so I ask again what't the point of the post just another dig?
And the policy's you quote mean nothing but good PR for the company. I still see UPS and FED EX among other big company drivers still using Connex,Galaxy,and other so called Export radios in their trucks. So on and on we go to ad naseum. 73's

You two gentleman remind me of the (very) old comedy routine on the old Saturday Night Live, between Dan Ackroyd and Jane Curtin. Anyone remember it? Point/Counterpoint, during the News section of the show.
Jane Curtin (CW Morse) would offer an opinion on a subject and then Dan Ackroyd (TodT061458) would offer the counter argument by starting off with "Jane, you ignorant slut...". :p

Ok, I will get in much deeper than I really care to, but you two guys represent some of the very worst amateur radio has to offer in 2006. Intolerance, unwilling to give a little bit, and at times willing to chew each other's heads off.

Do you guys spend a lot of time on 75 meters? :LOL:

My god, CW is the hardline, old time ham that wants to keep everything just as it was in 1962, and for that,TodT061458 would have CW thrown to the lions, and Todt061458 represents the newer type of ham that is not living up to his responsibilities, according to CW, because he is not monitoring 10 meters 27 hours a day for "interlopers" who talk in some wacked ass southern drawl.

A suggestion for CW...
you might want to actually tune your radio to another band once in a while and talk to other hams, rather than sit in your shack all day scanning a dead 10 meter band for illegal operators. Just a suggestion. :roll: (BTW, I never hear the stuff you hear on 10 meters. You may want to consider moving away from the interstate, you might live longer).

A suggestion for Todt061458...
hey my friend, Zoloft is a prescription medication that helps to take the edge off, and might allow you to be a bit more tolerant of those with a differing opinion, especially Mr. CW.
And not all amateurs ( I know, you are one) are old farts with one thing on their minds..."MUST KEEP CODE, MUST KEEP CODE...)

Although you may be there already ( I know Jerry is), you two really need to take your admiration of one another to QRZ. You could be real heros there.

You both might remember that THIS IS JUST A HOBBY :shock:

In any case, I want to thank you both for helping me realize that I am not as obsessed, argumentative, intolerant, angry, fixated, insecure, over zealous and one dimentional as I thought I was .

icon_couch.gif

every company I've worked for had clauses about illegal acts.

So What if they specifically mention some particular agency?

An unlawful act is just that. It don't matter one way or the other.

It would be like including references to the DEA to add strength to the fight against rampant drug use amongst drivers, which, BTW, is a real problem, unlike the petty 10-meter thing.

pt-thermoplastics-screw.jpg

CODE!

LOL can you imagine if fed-ex would not have answered him or even said no we dont have a policy on 10 meter radios. HAH

why would you even waste your time finding out if they have a policy????

go video crack and herion dealers... do something usefull.

OMG OMG OMG some trucker talked on the CW portion of 10 meters poooo pooo call the FCC. waaaaaa waaaaaaa :(

CDX8412 Go back and read some of my other recent comments and you will see that I said just what you said It's only a hobbie.
I am sorry that I get upset over CWM but I have been reading his crap under many names Like Rover,Radio Ray ect for years and I am proud to be a business owner. I just happen to own several trucks and I am also a ham radio operator and a user of CB radio,Gmrs ,MURS and lastly thr FRS freq's. so sue me.
I just get tired of the gloating,silly degrading way he puts down truckers and cbers as if they are pieces of cow dung to be steped on because he is a superior person because he is a ham radio operator. I would think he would be more tolerant of cbers . This is a cber/ham site correct? why put down the same people he shares a site with? if he hates truckers and cbers so much why hang out at a trucker site or at cb sites why not go to qrz or other sites for the superior ham radio operator.I came here to get away from people slamming other people for what they like to do. Cb or ham radio all the same to me. as for CWM well keep the cbers in their little box or better yet sunset cb and get rid of the little pests that would be to his liking. turn in every rule breaker no matter how small the infraction that his kind of ham radio.Not mine I just get tired of the crap and I just respond to CWM that's all. I will not be craped on forever for my profession or my choice of radio that I use to talk on. sorry if I offend you. I must go to work now driving my K Whopper with my Galaxy 99V and My Texas Star DX500 and my shure 527B mic and my ranger oversized metal box speaker. 73's
And your welcome.
In any case, I want to thank you both for helping me realize that I am not as obsessed, argumentative, intolerant, angry, fixated, insecure, over zealous and one dimentional as I thought I was .

and my ranger oversized metal box speaker

LOL, I have one of those in my Jeep...I gutted the boards out of an SGC DSP speaker that kept blowing the crappy speaker element SGC puts in those things and put it in a Ranger speaker that I can actually hear. It hasn't blown that speaker yet, and probably won't. Sometimes CB gear is just what fits the bill....

todt061458 said:
CDX8412 Go back and read some of my other recent comments and you will see that I said just what you said It's only a hobbie.
I am sorry that I get upset over CWM but I have been reading his crap under many names Like Rover,Radio Ray ect for years and I am proud to be a business owner. I just happen to own several trucks and I am also a ham radio operator and a user of CB radio,Gmrs ,MURS and lastly thr FRS freq's. so sue me.

I just get tired of the gloating,silly degrading way he puts down truckers and cbers as if they are pieces of cow dung to be steped on because he is a superior person because he is a ham radio operator.(quote)

Sir, you just don't get it, do you? Your mind seems not to be able to separate any portion of what have said from the other.
All you see is "CBers', cbers, cbers, cbers, cbers and truckers, truckers, truckers-- ALL lumped into one group What I have done is criticize those who feel they have some sort of right to tromp on the privileges of others. FIND where I criticized any other group than those who were yapping outside the 40- channels. WILL I make fun of those people that I hear on frequencies outside of CB. Y E S!!! They have no business being there. Period.

I would think he would be more tolerant of cbers . This is a cber/ham site correct? why put down the same people he shares a site with? if he hates truckers and cbers so much why hang out at a trucker site or at cb sites why not go to qrz or other sites for the superior ham radio operator. (quote)

The only people I am intolerant of are people who steal spectrum from rightful licensees. They are completely S E P A R A T E from "cbers" as a group. Same with truckers. The majority of drivers don't OPERATE outside the CB band. WHEN did I ever rag on *ALL* truckers? That's right, I DID NOT. NObody is "superior" to anyone else. YOU, "sir" are the one who lumps ALL things into one category and have a one track mind. You see any criticizm of unlicensed operation amongst a group of CB ops and/or drivers and GASP!!!! HE IS MAKING FUN OF ALL CBERS, OR DRIVERS. No. I am NOT! The reason for "hanging" around trucker or cb sites was to inform people that it might not be a good idea to be talking on the ham bands (or anywhere else, for that matter) without the license.

I came here to get away from people slamming other people for what they like to do. (quote)

What they like to do. Yes. Some people like to talk on a radio.
Fine!~ Some people like to talk outside the allotted CB channels. NOT fine. Some people like to trod on others' privileges because they think they have some special dispensation that others don't have. Those-who-yap-on non-authorized-frequencies-deserve-to-be-slammed, or-mocked, or-given-stiff-fines.

Cb or ham radio all the same to me. as for CWM well keep the cbers in their little box or better yet sunset cb and get rid of the little pests that would be to his liking. turn in every rule breaker no matter how small the infraction that his kind of ham radio.Not mine I just get tired of the crap and I just respond to CWM that's all. I will not be craped on forever for my profession or my choice of radio that I use to talk on. sorry if I offend you. I must go to work now driving my K Whopper with my Galaxy 99V and My Texas Star DX500 and my shure 527B mic and my ranger oversized metal box speaker. 73's
And your welcome.
In any case, I want to thank you both for helping me realize that I am not as obsessed, argumentative, intolerant, angry, fixated, insecure, over zealous and one dimentional as I thought I was .[/quote

Now. I can't help it Todt061458 can only see ONE target in this
group thru the red in his eyes, it makes him so mad. Nobody is
"craped" on--whatever THAT is---for a profession or choice of radio. Obviously, his toes get stepped on more than ANY other person that reads my posts; nobody else gets so bent of shape. I wonder WHY that is? WHAT is it that sets him off so--unless it is the very activity I have criticized that does it.

I have criticized ONLY those who engage in illegal activity. I have not made fun of cbers as a WHOLE group; only those who feel that they have some special "right" or privilege that legitimate users don't; that is, to tromp on frequency they choose and DARE anybody to say anything about it.

In a previous thread I spoke of "sunsetting cb radio, but also said that it was probably not politically feasible, nor would it be a good ide: tempting, but not a good idea, Why? Because those "outlaw" types would only then plop their sorry butts on other bands/frequencies making it WORSE, not better. It is those sorry outlaw types that I disdain. It DOES make me mad at these clowns. I have an opinion, too, ya know. If that makes the outlaws mad, so be it. I will criticize them, mock them, and do what I can to get them off the ham bands they think they have "rights" to simply because they happened to be born.

And, btw, to others who take offense at my posts, I do NOT sit here 24/7 posting about CB radio. You can conjecture all day, but you do NOT know a blasted thing about me nor the large number of interests I have. Radio is only part of my life.
Aviation is another (tho it has gotten so expensive--WOW!),
I have a full, and very complete woodworking shop in which I spend lots of time. I build ham antennas. I go to car shows (until this Spring, I had a 1931 Model A Ford Tudor). And now I am working on a 1951 Willys M38 Jeep (frame off restoration). When it's done, it will be in USAF livery and painted Strata Blue
So I have plenty to do, and no one knows a durn thing about what I do here.

What I DON'T like has nothing to do with TRUCKERS AND CBERS AS A SINGLE GROUP. It has to do with the theft of something that many of worked to obtain--sometimes taking the tests over and over until we passed. "Tolerance" is a word that is used these days to obfuscate and confuse the real subject in many venues. I "tolerate" (and welcome) new hams.
Do you ever see me making an issue of code vs no-code? No. I "tolerate" (if that's the right word) all CB operators within their allotted 40 channels; it is none of my business unless they begin to effect me. What I DON'T "tolerate" is outlaw operators that step on my communications when they have no blasted business BEING there in the first dadgum place. Those people, I am sorry, they neither deserve my respect nor will they get it. They-are-an-entirely-different-group-from-normal-CBers-or-truckers.

It is most unfortunate that *some* of us can only see red in their fury and not the separate group; legal vs ILLEGAL. It is that very fury that makes my wonder what THEY have to hide that makes them so mad since no one else seems to bat a eye, or their objections are far milder than one or two individuals in here.

CWM

And the "Heat is on".........this poor subject comes back to life quicker than a "democratic treasure chest" ;) ;) for AL Gore 8) 8)

Yes CWM,
interrupting someone elses airwaves is considered bad manners...then again try driving in commuter traffic in ANY city and watch modern "Don't give a damn"......razors,waxers (down boys :shock: ..that areas only for beach traffic :) ) cell phones,lap tops and such.count how many times you are called #1 or "cussed " at.......

Now the best part........My office (truck cab ;) )....With all the "Safety" issues brought about the 1st week in June....D.O.T. 72 hour HUNT :p :p ...I ran through three states and all three had thorough truck checks ( I had a CVSA sticker installed at one inspection 8) )...no overweights (we buy the permits up front ;) :) ) and when asked about the radio with the pretty "Blue" lites, let the inspector see for himself....and yes that radio is still on my dash.....They did however "Red tag" over 100+ trucks for dangerous items ( I really felt bad for some guys and the "JUNK" they were in) and make drivers "Sit" till the "Clock" rolled around....

My "long winded" point.............Let the "boys and girls" in blue do their assigned jobs and let "Uncle Charlie" chase the real "knuckle Heads" that just dare to be all that.... :twisted: :twisted:

Snoope back quiet....and waving a :D :D a hand towards N.C.

It has to do with the theft of something that many of worked to obtain

The part that you seem to refuse to try and uderstand is that many people don't believe that the "airwaves" is something that you can steal. In fact, the original Native American Indians would laugh that notion like you were some silly kid, for they believed it impossible to sell or own something that is of nature. The "airwaves" were there before you were around; they'll be there after you're worm food. You can't steal something that is impossible for you to own with this line of thought.

Now, you may disagree with this premise, as may the FCC. Anyone is certainly allowed to. But these different ways of thinking about "ownership" and "stealing" are complete dichotomies. You may not like or agree with this viewpoint, and the FCC may feel they have the right to impose fines to those that disagree. However, that doesn't make the viewpoint less valid or wrong. In fact, it is this very reasoning why many countries ignore ITU treaties and continue to broadcast regular radio on the amateur sections of 40 meters.

Until you can understand and even empathize with another premise, it is impossible to try and change the opposing point of view.

Here is how I would handle this type of thing.

It is illegal to operate your CB radio outside of the rules covered under Part 95
As a user of CB radio, you may want to familiarize yourself with these simple rules.

If you knowingly and voluntarily choose to ignore those rules, then you do so at your own risk and could be subject to fines and prosecution by the authorities.

Whatever you do, I would ask that you respect the rights and privileges of others and stay the hell away from the amateur bands, most notably, 12 meters and 10 meters which are very near the 11 meter (CB) band. Many amateur radio operators only get annoyed by illegal activity when it interferes with their fun on the ham bands. This seems like a perfectly legitimate complaint to me.

Please try to run a clean station because you can interfere with the radio spectrum far from where you operate.

If you are incapable of doing these simple things, then you are just an idiot and the FCC should be allowed to implement an air strike on your station with extreme prejudice.

It's really not that complicated, is it? 8)

AND, Paul, when it's all said and done, it is exactly and ONLY what I have been saying all along. It is that illegal activity that upsets ME, not Mr and Mrs CBer, nor Mr and Mrs Joe Trucker. When driving, I do my best to stay OUT of their way. I signal them at night that they have cleared me when passing. I do not ride beside them; if I find myself beside a truck, I will slow to let him pass or, if he is slowed by a hill, I will continue to pass and get away from him. I know about blind spots: I drove trucks in the 70's. I know the frustrations of discourteous drivers who would do anything to work hardship on a driver. Speeding up when I tried to pass, then slowing down on a hill. I know one driver (was a nice fellow, too!) that put one smarty in the ditch because of that! This girl kept playing with him, speeding up and slowing down everytime he went to pass on a two lane road. This went on for quite a while, so he slowed down and let her go on. She forgot about him, and "Bill" wound up his truck and caught up at about 70 per. The road was clear, and he whipped out to pass. It was too late for the girl to accelerate THAT fast, so when he got abreast of her front end, he turned on his signal and began coming over on her! :shock: Blasting her horn, he kept easing over and slowing down until she was on the shoulder, then went into the ditch in a cloud of dust! Bill kept gittin' up figuring that he would be reported and fired. But he never heard a word about it! I would never DO that, but I can understand the frustration, and such actions are illegal and dangerous. True, she brought it on herself by playing, but........................................

I only got so engaged in this 10 Meter thing because *I* myself lost a couple of QSO's because of some yokel with an overmodulated radio operating INSIDE the ham bands. It infuriated me. The thing is, it is getting WORSE, not better, and I am convinced that this is only the beginning as people get this attitude and idea that, "I am this big, bad radio operator, and I have these "rights" because the airwaves are "free, mine, or whatever" and eventually, they will not only be on 10 Meters but, 12 Meters will fill up, too. Manufacturers will then build "18 Meter" radios, or "10 Meter" 'Amateur' radios" that happen to cover that band as well. Then as demand increases, and it is not nipped in the bud, then we will find "CBers" on 14 MHZ as well. And makers will build these uncertified "ham" radios as well. Just look at the Cobra. Radio Shack started selling the 200 GTL as a "10 Meter Amateur "CB" radio (BARF and shudder). It was just a first shot. A toe testing the waters. Of course, it got nipped in the bud (thank God) as the product seems to have disappeared. (Thanks, Riley!) And where would it end? With hopelessly jammed airwaves, hopelessly useless public communications, futile efforts to conduct commerce, and lives actually LOST because of rampant consumerism; $$$ before reason, avarice before sensibility! These people know NOTHING about electronics, or radio regulation, or WHY radio must be regulated. It is an INTANGIBLE resource, that while it cannot be seen or felt directly, it DOES effect the lives of others. So it HAS to be regulated. The situation that untrained consumers would have now if they could (*I* got 'rights' to talk,the airwaves are 'free', or I'm this big, bad radio operator that can stomp 'mudducks' because it is the only way he can achieve the same result as Enzyte [?] and make up for his phallic insufficiency) has already existed as far back as the Titanic disaster and is why radio is regulated today. It HAD to be regulated. It is this untrained consumerism that drives the myriad of stations that get busted for broadcasting and pirating on FM.

And those who know and dread the prospect of having their own communications jammed by unwise hooligans actively seek to corral the illegal activity. Shurrrrrrrrrrrrr! We are just 'intolerant'. Shurrrrrrrrrrr! We are just 'out of touch old hams' and 'the worst that ham radio has to offer'. Shurrrrrr, we are! :D

So we protest mightily against having trucks transmitting on our bands with their "export" radios. We don't LIKE the "freeband"--not because we think we have any say so in it, but because we hear these stupes splattering onto US!

That's ALL I have been saying, to which a *few* ( VERY few) object vehemently and in red-faced fury!

Now I think I'll run out to the airport for awhile. :D

CWM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated