• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Finally chased down some mean 6 meter RFI

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
For months, I've been trying to chase down the source of some RFI getting into the HF rig when I was running anything over about 500 watts into my 6m Yagi, which is only about 10 feet off my roof. The hard part was that while it happened more often than not, it was still intermittent. It also only happened using 6m SSB, not the digital modes. I unhooked everything plugged into the Elecraft K4D - USB cables, the mic, other antennas; I even wound the power input on both the amp and rig with ferrite and couldn't find the source. The RFI feeding back into the rig was so bad that just transmitting with dead air on SSB caused horrible signal distortion, making me unintelligible.

After months of banging my head, I finally figured it out. The RFI was coming in through a set of older Sony earbuds that I used to monitor myself while transmitting. As chance would have it, I never monitored my TX using any other mode than SSB. Since I always used these while trying to chase down the source, it was usually present. Then one day I unplugged them and just monitored through the speakers and there was no RFI distortion on TX. I plugged them back in and it was back. After cursing a few times, I swapped them out for a newer set of headphones with a shielded cable, and the problem was still gone. RFI feeding back into the rig through the unshielded headphone cable was the problem the whole time, and it only took months of troubleshooting to figure it out!

Had a similar thing happen with an ancient pair of Pickering headphones. Couldn't transmit with them on. Never any problem with radios or external speakers. Am much closer to my antennas than I care to be, but it is what it is.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.