• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FINALLY GOT MY GENERAL!!!

First, congratulations!
Oh and you're gonna have so much fun! Lot'a things to try out. some you'll really get addicted to. Who'da thunk it'd ever be this much fun, right??
- 'Doc

Congrads! Its great to get your General! Now you can really have some fun on the bands. Its a whole new world from jest Tech. PSK31 is addicting with the low power and all. Doing take much to get some godd DX that way. Now try out RTTY. That digital mode is my favorite now. And then give Contesting a try. You will be amazed at how many contacts you can make and how fast your log book will grow.

Hope to work you some day.

Made my first contacts on 17 and 12 meters today with an Antron. Talked to Santiago chile and Ecuador. What are the characteristics of these two bands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Made my first contacts on 17 and 12 meters today with an Antron. Talked to Santiago chile and Ecuador. What are the characteristics of these two bands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Antron99 is a 1/2 over 1/4 wave antenna - for some reason it finds harmonics of 11 on 15 and 17 if you get it up high enough and away from everything else.

17 meters sometimes goes long, is a lot like 20, but will still be open sometimes when 10 or 15 is not.

20 is mostly nets and foreigners - the Italians likes to hang out and operate around 14.250 Mhz USB.

The people that operates on 17 meters is usually the ones looking to make short QSO's or collect call signs for awards.. It's not used for contests - but people does what they want and you can't stop them...

15 meters is a more General Band, has been around a lot longer then the WARC bands. 15 meters is a good General all around band.
Mostly it is used for DX = out of country, or in country but not local communications.

12 Meter is mostly those that were CB'rs that discovers that they can find a little room on 12 when 10 is busy.. There is no contests on 12....
There just isn't enough bandwidth to really do anything with 12 - there is no difference between 12 and 10...

The Solorcon / Antron 99 is a CB radio antenna, although I remind my friends that a antenna is a antenna... What ever it takes to get on the air.

I would suggest that you find yourself a good off-center fed dipole antenna that will operate 10 - 80 meters without a tuner such as the HY Power Antenna company.
Don't get rid of your Antron - because a off-center fed dipole will not work on 15 or 30 meters - because they are not a harmonic of anything else...

Did you checkmark the box for a new call sign to reflect your license class change.

A General will get you a little better call sign..

Now hit the books and work on your Amateur Extra.......;)

Made my first contact via Psk on 14.070 to Cuba. Gonna do a lot of playing tomorrow...

Awesome! Congratulations, and I'm jealous. :) Still studying for mine, but will have a test in a couple of weeks. Wish me luck, and hopefully I'll catch you on the bands soon.

Brett

Did you checkmark the box for a new call sign to reflect your license class change.

A General will get you a little better call sign..

Now hit the books and work on your Amateur Extra.......;)

I did checkmark that I was upgrading my license. I wasn't aware of any change on my callsign though.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.