• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Finally Got the operating position finished

KG0MN

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Mar 5, 2010
I had purchased and L-Shaped desk to use as a operating station, but even as large as it is I did not have enough room for all of the radio equipment until I made a second shelf for the longest portion of the desk.

newlook.jpg

I found a local fellow that had some kiln dried 1" cherry planks and was able to pick up one that I had him plain and drum sand on one side and then since I did not have knives large enough I had to straight cut the ends and two sides with his shaper. Next it was my job to get the board do to the point where I could start mixing stain in hopes of coming up with something that would match the finish of the deck. All this work was done just so I could bring my "Old as dirt Drake system out to play with. To support the plank I just made to stands out of 3/4" plywood and then painted them semi-gloss black to match the drawer pulls and locks on the desk. The stain came out as close as I think I could get and all in all I am satisfied with the way it came out and I had forgot how good the drake sounds and it can hear everything the TS-2000 and TS-590 can hear except on 10 meters.

newlook2.jpg

This last picture is just so you can see it a bit better, I have since added a center support since the power supply for the Drake is smack tab in the center and weights a bit to much. Plus after seeing how grungy the VFO and Speaker looked I disassembled them and cleaned them up.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.