• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Finally hit the "buy" button

Need2Know

KK4GMU - Ocala, FL
Jan 26, 2012
Ocala, FL
www.muccings.blogspot.com
Given that I finally received the proceeds from the sale of some of my camera equipment, and since the 20-year old Azden radio I was given doesn't seem to work very well, I took the plunge and bought my first radios. Should receive them by next week, and operational within two.

They are the Kenwood TH-F6A and TM D710A, using a B-Squared Engineering 2 band J-pole in my attic and Andrew® Cinta CNT-400 w/PL259 (UHF) Connectors feed line. Already I am considering changing the connector at the antenna to a Type N. Will that be worthwhile to do?

The 710 will be my base; the F6 will be my mobile. I have at least 5 years of learning to do on these rigs.

After some price research, I bought from Gigiparts which saved me $50 on both radios compared to the other major dealers.

Thank you all for the friendliness and helpfulness on this site. I am positive there will be more questions and observations to come. What else can you expect from a ham whose had his license for only 30 days?:w00t:

:)
I think you'll find that 5 years isn't quite as long as it'll take. They really aren't as difficult as it will seem at first. I would suggest getting a programming cable and Kenwood's software. I ended up buy the cable but only because I'm too lazy to put one together.
Happy trails!
- 'Doc

:)
I think you'll find that 5 years isn't quite as long as it'll take. They really aren't as difficult as it will seem at first. I would suggest getting a programming cable and Kenwood's software. I ended up buy the cable but only because I'm too lazy to put one together.
Happy trails!
- 'Doc

I got the programming cable for each radio, as well as the Echo Link cable and voice/recorder board for the 710 and the AA battery holder for the F6.

I wanted to stay as pure "Kenwood" on the accessories as possible, avoiding 3rd party stuff to keep troubleshooting as simple as possible.

The only third party hardware I got besides the feed line and antenna was this Serial/USB adapter cable and this MFJ SWR/Watt meter.

It will be interesting to see if this serial adapter works. And I got that particular watt meter also to keep the readings simple vs. the cross-needle type and to handle HF in case I get that bug. I was torn on that decision.

Last edited:
you will enjoy the TM-D710A.
i sold mine. probably shouldn't have but moved on... good luck!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.