• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Firmware update question from a returning hobbyist

TimmyTheTorch

Dec 11, 2022
Northeast Wisconsin
I recently purchased a new Anytone AT-5555N II. It is the first new radio I have purchased since a 2510 in about 1998, so before getting firmware updates from the internet was really a thing.

I did check out the Anytone tech support site and they do say you can register to be alerted to firmware updates but the only options in their registration site is for four handhelds, not a mobile like mine. However, my question is not specifically about Anytone. I'm just using them as a for-instance since that's the brand I currently own.

Do CB/"ham" radio manufacturers like Anytone, Ranger, President, etc ever release any firmware updates for mobiles such as mine that can be downloaded and installed by the radio owner like is done with radar detectors, TVs, car stereo head units, etc? Or is what you get when you buy the radio what you will always have?

Reactions: Eldorado828

..you can register to be alerted to firmware updates but the only options in their registration site is for four handhelds, not a mobile like mine.

And that's the way it is. No schematics (at least accurate ones) are available. Same with firmware. Just hang out around here and browse the posts. Ask questions.
I have a Q5n and Q5n2. Have you opened band D for 11 mtr CB?

Reactions: Eldorado828
I recently purchased a new Anytone AT-5555N II. It is the first new radio I have purchased since a 2510 in about 1998, so before getting firmware updates from the internet was really a thing.

I did check out the Anytone tech support site and they do say you can register to be alerted to firmware updates but the only options in their registration site is for four handhelds, not a mobile like mine. However, my question is not specifically about Anytone. I'm just using them as a for-instance since that's the brand I currently own.

Do CB/"ham" radio manufacturers like Anytone, Ranger, President, etc ever release any firmware updates for mobiles such as mine that can be downloaded and installed by the radio owner like is done with radar detectors, TVs, car stereo head units, etc? Or is what you get when you buy the radio what you will always have?
Hi Timmy,

Anytone will provide firmware to end users, which is a fantastic thing, because many others (like CRT) will not.

If your AT-5555Nii has the "STEP" menu, which allows setting a 5kHz step size in the menu, it is running the latest firmware. No update needed.

If it does not have "STEP" in the menu options, then you could update the radio.

Updating the AT-5555Nii requires the standard programming cable, and a special PC program, that only uploads the firmware into the radio. This special PC firmware program is not downloadable from the website, you need to request it from them.

Last edited:
If you got the radio from Scott’s it is most likely already done…
I figured he'd have done any that were currently available.

I know for the newer cameras in our security system we get firmware updates every month or so after their initial release to production, for the radar/motion sensors every quarter or so. I'll just check every few months or so for one and will also pay attention here. Who knows, one may appear that makes a very good radio a great radio.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.