• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

First post and new Galaxy DX-979

I'm not planning on sending anywhere at the present time, I was just wondering about the sellers statement that said "a cobra can be tuned to higher outputs then galaxy's".
That was his reason for low levels on my Galaxy.

How to speak CB shop: Lesson 24.

"A Cobra can be tuned to higher outputs than Galaxys"

This statement given by a CB shop should be interpreted as "I can get more dosy watts from a Cobra because I'm not that knowledgeable with Galaxy radios."

How to speak CB shop: Lesson 24.

"A Cobra can be tuned to higher outputs than Galaxys"

This statement given by a CB shop should be interpreted as "I can get more dosy watts from a Cobra because I'm not that knowledgeable with Galaxy radios."

;) yep..

What does your watt meter read when you turn the RF Output knob - or 'PWR' knob - all the way down?

Do you have the watt meter hooked up to a antenna or a 50 ohm dummy load?

Galaxy%20DX%20979%2013%20(Small).JPG

Last edited:
What does your watt meter read when you turn the RF Output knob - or 'PWR' knob - all the way down?

Do you have the watt meter hooked up to a antenna or a 50 ohm dummy load?

Galaxy%20DX%20979%2013%20(Small).JPG

Watt meter is in line. I have it hooked up to the antenna. Not sure of exact number on low side but it drops down to the bottom side when I turn the power knob down.

Did you flip the SWR/MOD/PWR switch back to the 'PWR' position?

What is your SWR - using the radio's built-in SWR meter?

SWR is 1.2

I have the switch on power when reading power on my inline meter.
Both the inline and radio's meters seem to read about the same.

I can't say I tried that... should I ?

I think it's time to back up here. You need to read the manual and understand the radio's functions and modes of talking. For example, the RF power control should change the AM carrier or dead key level. Something like a range of 1-4 watts. (carrier or dead key is when you key the mic but don't speak)

Next, when you do speak the meter should swing out and show you the peak power. The meter on any radio is not very accurate so an external meter should be used. Radio meters are ballpark numbers at best.

Try turning the RF Power all the way up, switch the mode setting to LSB, have your watt meter in-line, key the mic and speak with a long steady AUUUDDDIIIOOO. You should see 12-20 watts peak.

Radio shack meters are not true peak reading meters. I had one that would show a peak reading on SSB but on AM hardly nothing. While I do call into question the quality of the tune that was done I think you need a better watt meter.

Reactions: 1 person
lessons ive learned 101
1] built in meters in radios are only ballpark figures
2]there are 2 types of meters rms and pep .your more expensive meters have both
and you need pep to truly read swing readings or pep.rms is deadkead key and swing
is much lower on a rms meter.
3]if ya got the small meter radio shack sells i think its only rms ,if so you WONT read
a accurate swing .
this is things ive learned over the years id ask where you bought it what it was doing
they SHOULD have good enough equiment for that.
last ask for radio checks. ask hows my audio. the numbers your seeing are very low
if thats what its truly doing then i cant see how you could get out very far at all.

No backing up..;) I do know how the controls work. Using the same equipment my other 3 radio's are fine. A Cobra 29LX, Galaxy DX-959 and a Cobra 148 GTL made in phily.
I'm not really worried about this, I'll get it worked out...just not with the seller.
I just really wanted some input on the radio.
Darkbeer...

Reactions: 2 people
How does the radio perform? I have a factory refurb 979, in a 96 f-250 crew cab 4x4, with a skip shooter knock off antenna. It has great receive( I can hear Canada, Europe, west coast on a regular basis)and I've been told it gets out very well, not too shabby in my book. If you doubt the numbers, have another check the tune and alignment. And if you are getting good reports run it n enjoy!

No backing up..;) I do know how the controls work. Using the same equipment my other 3 radio's are fine. A Cobra 29LX, Galaxy DX-959 and a Cobra 148 GTL made in phily.
I'm not really worried about this, I'll get it worked out...just not with the seller.
I just really wanted some input on the radio.
Darkbeer...

ok well those numbers are very low for that galaxy. if ya ever in P.A. bobscb
is on I80 exit 70 ive seen galaxys like yours and a 2547 base do over 30 watts
on both am/ssb. DTB is good too im not sure exactly where he is located.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned