• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

First post and new Galaxy DX-979

Darkbeer

Feb 10, 2013
Hello folks, I am new here...just been lurking and trying to learn a little.
I drive a truck for a living. I just purchased a Galaxy DX-979 from Effingham Radio Repair on Ebay, the radio sounds great but I was wondering about the power levels.
I paid to have it peaked and tuned but it shows a little over 3 watts and swings to a bit over 6 watts.
I email the seller and was told that Galaxy radio's can't be tuned as high as other radio's.
I personally think I got the short end of the stick.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Darkbeer

Sounds like you got the Effing Tune, alright! There is no reason that rig should not put out at least 20 watts ssb, and about 15 swing on AM. Maybe more if it is a Mosfet final. You *can* turn it up yourself, but I leave that to the pro's. Read some posts here on who to send it to.

And welcome to the forum!

RT307

Sounds like you got the Effing Tune, alright! There is no reason that rig should not put out at least 20 watts ssb, and about 15 swing on AM. Maybe more if it is a Mosfet final. You *can* turn it up yourself, but I leave that to the pro's. Read some posts here on who to send it to.

And welcome to the forum!

RT307

Thanks, that's kinda what I thought from the research I have done. And thanks for the welcome..

Hello folks, I am new here...just been lurking and trying to learn a little.
I drive a truck for a living. I just purchased a Galaxy DX-979 from Effingham Radio Repair on Ebay, the radio sounds great but I was wondering about the power levels.
I paid to have it peaked and tuned but it shows a little over 3 watts and swings to a bit over 6 watts.
I email the seller and was told that Galaxy radio's can't be tuned as high as other radio's.
I personally think I got the short end of the stick.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Darkbeer

What brand/model of meter did you use to gauge the output?

What brand/model of meter did you use to gauge the output?

I have a Radio Shack swr/watt meter. It reads the same as the meter on the new Galaxy so I am thinking it is right. Also the readings are much different on my Cobra LX.

Are you driving an amp with it?

No amp. Straight out of the box. I have great swr and the radio sounds good. It just seems like the watt levels should be a bit higher.
I have a Galaxy 959 I did some trading for that has some much higher levels, I think it may have been tinkered with a bit...:)

Am I making too much out of this ? After what is called a Pro tune and peak shouldn't the radio at least show 4 watts ?
Darkbeer

No amp. Straight out of the box. I have great swr and the radio sounds good. It just seems like the watt levels should be a bit higher.
I have a Galaxy 959 I did some trading for that has some much higher levels, I think it may have been tinkered with a bit...:)

Am I making too much out of this ? After what is called a Pro tune and peak shouldn't the radio at least show 4 watts ?
Darkbeer

Check out that CBRadioMagazine link I posted. It shows the power levels normally associated with the 979

4 watts is your FCC approved legal "dead key".

You're not making too much out of this, you should be getting alot more than a 6 watt swing. 4 swinging to 16 is factory tune levels. (If the factory bothered to tune it right before they crammed it in a box and shipped it out to the nearest golden screwdriver.)

4 watts is your FCC approved legal "dead key".

You're not making too much out of this, you should be getting alot more than a 6 watt swing. 4 swinging to 16 is factory tune levels. (If the factory bothered to tune it right before they crammed it in a box and shipped it out to the nearest golden screwdriver.)

My 959 was severely choked with the factory tune with 3 watt deadkey and 12 watt swing along with 60% modulation. On SSB you had to yell to get it to swing 12 watts. I had DTB set it to a 1 watt lo and 4 watt hi deadkey with just under 100% modulation. SSB swings to 12 watts and 15 watts on a backwards whistle. Now everybody that hears me talk on it now loves the way it sounds

Last edited:
I'm not planning on sending anywhere at the present time, I was just wondering about the sellers statement that said "a cobra can be tuned to higher outputs then galaxy's".
That was his reason for low levels on my Galaxy.

I'm not planning on sending anywhere at the present time, I was just wondering about the sellers statement that said "a cobra can be tuned to higher outputs then galaxy's".
That was his reason for low levels on my Galaxy.

Well,I've never owned a Cobra so I can't speak about that. I just know that a Galaxy has swing if you get it tuned and aligned right. I could have had DTB Radio tune it to what it can do safely(a whole lot higher)but opted to keep it a legal 4 watts deadkey. My 959 is a sweet radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned