• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

First Ssb radio

Not going to get into a pissing match with a typical CBr. I said Vintage side mic 148 or Uniden Grant. I'm going to piss off many of people with this statement. GALAXY radios Suck! Chinese junk. Cheap plastic knobs. Echo, roger beeps, drifting all over. Junk.
whatever professional. I know what my equipment does and what other equipment does. But if you want you can come to my house and operate my 99v and both 980's then we can hook up my early president grant which is a drifter and see not all galaxys are bad. I got 2 yaesu ftm 7250 dr radios 2 meter 70 cm dual band 1 is great 1 has been back to yaesu twice for same problem. Does that mean i should say avoid yaesu too?

Reactions: Slowmover and Tokin
Just hearing the model 99v makes me dizzy from the memory of trying to tune in a buddy that had one. Enjoy that 99V .

whatever professional. I know what my equipment does and what other equipment does. But if you want you can come to my house and operate my 99v and both 980's then we can hook up my early president grant which is a drifter and see not all galaxys are bad. I got 2 yaesu ftm 7250 dr radios 2 meter 70 cm dual band 1 is great 1 has been back to yaesu twice for same problem. Does that mean i should say avoid yaesu too?
Agreed. Not all Galaxy radios are drifting pieces of junk like the early 959. Different radios, different versions, different results.
Just pays to do some homework before buying.
On another note you may want to be careful how you address other operators here whether they be cb or ham as thats generally isn't tolerated, just a heads up.

Reactions: binrat and Rwb
Agreed. Not all Galaxy radios are drifting pieces of junk like the early 959. Different radios, different versions, different results.
On another note you may want to be careful how you address other operators here whether they be cb or ham as thats generally isn't tolerated, just a heads up.
you sir are correct .

Reactions: Tokin
The XYL's 979 does not drift.
It should be noted that most radios will drift alittle when they are going from sub-zero to normal operating temperature, which is the case for northern hemisphere mobiles.

Reactions: Rwb and Tokin
The XYL's 979 does not drift.
It should be noted that most radios will drift alittle when they are going from sub-zero to normal operating temperature, which is the case for northern hemisphere mobiles.
So i probably experienced the extreme as far as cold related drift goes. I spent 10 years living in a school bus in the remote ne washington mountains with only a wood stove for heat. Had a few radios there and i have to say i had the most issues from a pair of 959's when it was cold. Honestly i had no floating/drift issues from my 2950dx gen 2 that i bought after becoming disgusted with the 959's. That was 2013 or so and from what i understand there is a newer version that addressed that issue. 1428467903855.jpg

Mobile only..my Lincoln II+ seems to show a difference of .0001-.0002 MHz between winter and direct-sunlight-in-smoking-hot-car-in-ncarolina.

Importantly, on a day to day basis it’s not floating around whatsoever.

That works for me.

Off frequency issues seem to me at least 10x more prevalent in the US than with international DX. Ive had hour and a half long QSOs with multiple stations (at the same time) occurring over 4000 miles away, and had no need to “unlock” my clarifier. In fact, I almost never touch my clarifier when talking all day.

May I suggest NO GALAXY. Unless you want to drift all over and sound horrible on SSB. Either find a vintage Cobra 148 side mic or Uniden Grant. If going new the Anytone 6666 I'd a stable SSB radio

I agree that a Galaxy is Terrible on SSB.I also agree on the Grant & Cobra 148 GTL Side microphone model.I am sticking with my UNIDEN 980SSB because it is doing a great job for m on AM & SSB..

SIX-SHOOTER

I have had more issues with Yaesu's than I care to remember.It's why I say YAESU = Yet Another Excuse Simply Useless.I am an ICOM Man now & they have been very dependable.

SIX-SHOOTER

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.