• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FM CB in US?

If you want loud turn up your audio gain, Clear you get because that is the nature of the signal and modulation. When talking to Portland OR I heard every word clearly like he was next door.
Here is an AM signal with noise:
th

FM is resistant to this type of noise because all of these noises are AM in nature.
The FM signal is still in there because the noise does not change the frequency.
When FM is Demodulated the signal is clipped top and bottom and the varying frequency is obtained
by a circuit that converts the signal back to audio.

https://www.radio-electronics.com/i...eption/fm-demodulation-detection-overview.php
fm01.gif
It would be useful for HT's. Close range communications. CB is still used a lot in offroad communications. And like you say, it would be easier to listen without all that impulse noise.

I would like it for when my family takes long multi car Trips but if there going to add FM to CB i hope they add CTCSS.
But we all so use GMRS on some old Kenwood commercial radios.. If there going to go Though all that trouble to get the FCC to allow FM on to CB 40 why not just make some mobile 5/25w GMRS radios? I am sure you can push the pros of UHF to the off road guys.
Smaller Antenna's no banging around on trees
low noise floor me and my wife get good mileage in the woods on them car to car @ 25w..
There is the Midland MXT400 but @ $200 that's a bit much... When i can just get some crapy China UHF radios for $60

FM cost's you a lot of signal over AM & SSB do to it being a dead carrier & no forward swing.That & it's also Illegal in the USA so I have Zero interest.No legal CB has ever been built for use in the USA that has anything other than AM,USB,& LSB.

SIX-SHOOTER

I would like it for when my family takes long multi car Trips but if there going to add FM to CB i hope they add CTCSS.
But we all so use GMRS on some old Kenwood commercial radios.. If there going to go Though all that trouble to get the FCC to allow FM on to CB 40 why not just make some mobile 5/25w GMRS radios? I am sure you can push the pros of UHF to the off road guys.
Smaller Antenna's no banging around on trees
low noise floor me and my wife get good mileage in the woods on them car to car @ 25w..
There is the Midland MXT400 but @ $200 that's a bit much... When i can just get some crapy China UHF radios for $60

Even better is No Skip so that cuts way back on the noise & that is a huge PLUS.No children from California & other places running their big noisy illegal amplifiers acting like a bunch of children who never grew up.I have plenty of DX on the HF Bands & 6 meters so no skip needed or wanted on the CB.

SIX-SHOOTER

FM cost's you a lot of signal over AM & SSB do to it being a dead carrier & no forward swing.That & it's also Illegal in the USA so I have Zero interest.No legal CB has ever been built for use in the USA that has anything other than AM,USB,& LSB.

SIX-SHOOTER

What's the difference in signal between a 100 watt FM signal and an SSB signal swinging to 100 watts?

Unlock a couple of Baofeng's for GMRS and you're good to go. No, they aren't legal according to the FCC. When has that stopped any of us?

You can find various models of them on sale for as low as $15 at times.

What's the difference in signal between a 100 watt FM signal and an SSB signal swinging to 100 watts?

None but most don't get the same dead key as they do a modulated signal.PEAK power is far greater on AM & SSB.What you dead key is all you get on FM without any peak power.Big difference in signals.

SIX-SHOOTER

You don't get the Picket fencing on HF as you do on UHF. I have an UHF repeater. At 120' and with 50watts, it's still not as useful as a pair of stock CB's in the hills.

Reactions: midnight special
None but most don't get the same dead key as they do a modulated signal.PEAK power is far greater on AM & SSB.What you dead key is all you get on FM without any peak power.Big difference in signals.

SIX-SHOOTER

100 watts on FM is the same as 100 watts of SSB when it comes to signal strength. A steady carrier of 100 watts FM will yield the same signal as an SSB signal producing 100 watts pep. I've done it on 2m using both modes with the same power. As for AM, pep is four times the carrier on a properly set up radio. I agree on that however in that case you would have a 25 watt AM transmitter peaking to 100 watts which will yield a lower signal than the 100 watt FM signal which is all carrier. If you had a 100 watt carrier modulated to 400 watts then we would not be at the same power level any more.

GMRS? I beg to differ, I use it for the wife and I and its very reliable.
The Wife and I were taking a trip her in her car and me on my motorcycle. Even though we were still in sight of each other communication was not possible. Batteries were fully charged. Still we could communicate past a half of a mile out in the country. Flat and level ground in an area I know to be quiet radio wise. The package these thing came in was boasting of long ranges and they were no where close to making the long distance.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.