• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FM CB in US?

The Wife and I were taking a trip her in her car and me on my motorcycle. Even though we were still in sight of each other communication was not possible. Batteries were fully charged. Still we could communicate past a half of a mile out in the country. Flat and level ground in an area I know to be quiet radio wise. The package these thing came in was boasting of long ranges and they were no where close to making the long distance.
Half a mile with line of sight? There is some other obstruction you aren't accounting for.

The Wife and I were taking a trip her in her car and me on my motorcycle. Even though we were still in sight of each other communication was not possible. Batteries were fully charged. Still we could communicate past a half of a mile out in the country. Flat and level ground in an area I know to be quiet radio wise. The package these thing came in was boasting of long ranges and they were no where close to making the long distance.

Something is wrong somewhere. The range claimed on the packaging is BS however you should have had FAR better range than a half mile line of sight. My father used the little FRS/GMRS HT's with 500 mW and was getting a half mile thru woods to another HT. I have gotten over two miles reasonable line of sight with them.

Oh okay I see you used those cheap HT's that you can get a walllymart. Yes those suck

MURS/2 meters by far have the best range (legally). It's tough to get rid of ignition noise on UTV's on HF.
What I see is longer range. Example, when I go out on 10-15 miles in the desert and hills. It would be nice to have contact back at the trailer. This should be very possible on 11m.

Some still use AM in the lower bands and they are not popular types. Arrogant, abusive, and not very well educated.
You must have heard my plate modulation on 80m . Or was it the class "E" deck?
The Viking II and the NCL-2000 maybe?

CK , ever get your BC to 80m TX project off the ground ?

Yeah , I'm an arrogant bastich . Any SSB operator that doesn't have the operating sense or talent to steer 6-7KHz clear of my carrier deserves what he gets. Most of us don't even know when a SSB signal intrudes because a BFO is rarely employed on receive.
Creating an operating window of just over 25KHz within 3MHz sure is abusive ...

FM on CB was the question ? UK had nothing else for decades. Yes it could be heard at peak cycle even here (CN87tm) . Is it effective? Depends. If enough for full discrimination/detection then yes it's wonderful. Coupled with a brain dead squelch, minimal antenna and obstructions, piss poor audio, and a lame VOX it totally suxors.

When a SSB signal falls into the noise you may be able to get enough syllables to make out the words. When an FM signal falls into the noise it's gone.

;);)
Tallman, please take it in the spirit it was meant

Last edited:
Reactions: 543_Dallas
Kopcicle,
I was referring to a particular group of jerks that think they own several segments of the radio spectrum. I'm sure you know the group. I was speaking to the oldest operating ham in the USA and those clowns ruined a good QSO. There was no chatter when we started talking and it was clear on the frequency. Then here come those "People."
I stay well clear of other signals so as not to interfere. I have not powered up a radio since my trip to Florida a few months back so I'm thinking about dumping most of my radio gear on eBay.
As always we can agree to disagree, different people have different experiences and we all take away what we learn the way we learned it.

Kopcicle,
I was referring to a particular group of jerks that think they own several segments of the radio spectrum. I'm sure you know the group. I was speaking to the oldest operating ham in the USA and those clowns ruined a good QSO. There was no chatter when we started talking and it was clear on the frequency. Then here come those "People."
I stay well clear of other signals so as not to interfere. I have not powered up a radio since my trip to Florida a few months back so I'm thinking about dumping most of my radio gear on eBay.
As always we can agree to disagree, different people have different experiences and we all take away what we learn the way we learned it.

I don't know the circumstances involved here and I know there are always bad eggs. I'm not taking sides or pointing fingers but I would like to add some perspective. AM guys can get long winded and a transmission might take a few minutes. There have been times when someone thought the frequency was vacant when a qso or round table was going on.They start their ssb qso and get upset when the other guys that they can hear start talking. They think they were there first and the AM guy is just a jerk. Some of these ssb guys hold a grudge and try to jam the local AM group every chance they get. I try to operate AM in or around frequencies known for AM activity. When I use SSB I do it elsewhere.

If you want to use AM it is a good idea to listen for a bit before you ask if the freq is in use and start calling CQ when no one answers you...someone you can't hear may be talking. Also remember that these guys know the disadvantage of AM vs SSB so they don't buy one of the popular dummy load antennas at the ham store and put it up 10 feet off of the ground. Shunt or series fed towers and dipoles at 60 to 100 feet aren't uncommon. They're probably not running 100 watts pep either so don't think they are intentionally interfering with your qso. They may not even know you're there.

A few were making comments earlier about the “roar” of multiple AM stations during skip. In the early days of CB (60’s to early 70’s) you heard a distinctive different sound. It was more like a bunch of whistles that varied in pitch every time someone keyed. The constant drifting of oscillators, coupled with numerous far off frequency crystals of that time period caused that heterodyning effect. After the development of PLL circuitry plus most of the radios now are solid state, frequency tolerances and stability tightened up considerably. The vast majority of AM radios heard now during skip are within 300hz of each other, hence those carriers are beating against each other at much lower frequency difference. It’s that smaller frequency difference between stations that makes them sound more like a roar. Sorry for the sidetrack. I often find myself drifting off with nostalgia like the unstable oscillators of yesteryear.

They're probably not running 100 watts pep either so don't think they are intentionally interfering with your qso. They may not even know you're there.

They knew this guy I was talking to because they all started calling each other by their names and the older gent spoke all of the call signs and they answered.

I answered a CQ call and listened for a while he had a QSO with another ham. He called again and I answered and after about a minute or so the yoyo's came in and over powered the conversation I would think two kilowatt dead key.. I also was on AM and not SSB.

just wanting to throw my 2 cents worth in. locally i have used fm and works great suelch out all other noise.one thing i will say is if ya talking to a mobile far off and signal is dropping ya open up squelch and it gets harsh to listen too.so i find as long as i can have a quso with the squelch up just so noise disappears i perfer it over am and ssb. for close up talking . long distance i perfer ssb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.