• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FM CB

towerdog

one-niner-seven
Nov 18, 2009
NC
Does anyone else outside of europe use FM? Most export and "10 meter" will do FM but does anyone use it?
I think FM is cool, its very clear, drowns out weaker signals and you cant hear voice on AM unless your real close and the radio bleeds out modulation.

Yeah, open squelch on AM is like, pssshsshpsssssssh,wak,wak,wak,pssssshBEEP,pssssh
And then change modes to FM and is like,
PSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHPSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHSHHHHHH!!!!!
5 times louder.
But for LOS coms, talking FM mobile to mobile is typically crystal clear with my setup (10 and 40w units), typically 10 miles sometimes 15 before signal fades out, then it goes from being staticy to nothing after about 20. Hence the nature of the beast, although ofthen the other, the 40w unit can be heard a bit further than the 10w.

Is there a channel folks DX with FM, every time I am scanning through the channels and every time I think I hear an FM signal and switch modes it turns out to just be QRM.

I just bought a general lee and have a friend locally that has a connex 3600. We have been talking on AM. I have never thought about giving FM a try. Do I need to worry at all about my antenna set up between AM and FM? I have a Wilson 1000 mag mount. I never tried FM because I didn't know if I needed a different antenna and I didn't want to damage my radio.

No, there's no differences in antennas for AM, FM, SSB. If it works on one mode it will work using some other mode if you stay on the same frequency. I think you will find that using FM on the CB band is not going to be very 'friendly'.
- 'Doc

years ago before we all got our lic we ran 27.355fm...had a blast.We all had ar3500 or ss360 or rci2950s...we wher south of St Louis Missouri and got most of interstead in upgrading...73s de JW

A couple of us locals use FM now and then here, but I have only used it a couple of times on DX and that was just to Japan and Taiwan.

The " Q-Codes " were initially a standard collection of three letters all starting with Q used for commercial radio telegraph services. Like any other code, they were soon adapted by other services. The codes in the range QAA-QNZ are reserved for aeronautical use; QOA-QOZ for maritime use, and QRA-QUZ for all services. Sometimes you will hear a policeman on COPS say "QSL", meaning 10-4. OK. These codes are are widely used in CW operation in Amateur Radio. They are not so popular in Ham Radio voice modes. Ham operators on voice seem to have limited themselves to the use of just a few on these Q-Codes.

You will also hear 11meter cb radio operators using these codes on SSB (sideband). Cb Radio "Sidebanders" often use the efficiency of SSB to talk greater distances. Cb Sideband operators are usually folks looking to use cb as a more professional means of communication as compared to channel 19 AM.

Common Q-Code Mistake on Cb Radio: There is one particular mistake in ssb cb radio q code operations. It's misuse is so bad it has raged on as an epidemic for years. It is "QRT". QRT means someone is shutting their radio off or leaving the radio. Someone going QRT won't be back till later. Usually alot later like tomarro. The usual designation of QRT is "stop transmitting". The problem is, some cb sidebanders have confused this and made it literal. You will often hear a rookie SSB cber say "This is blah blah and we are QRT and standing by". This is wrong. QRT means you are "shuttin er down". Sometimes you will hear an old cber mock those that make this mistake by saying "what are you going to shut your radio off and stand beside it"?

Some of The Q codes below are phrased as a question. They also have the same meaning in non question form. Example: QRN. Are you troubled by static? or "I have lots of QRN". Meaning "I have lots of static".

QRA - Name of your station
QRG - Exact frequency
QRH - Frequency Variation - "drifting"
QRI - Audio Tine
QRK- Intellegibility - Understandability
QRL- Busy
QRM - Intentional Interference
QRN - Static, Pops, Squeaks etc
QRO - Increased transmitter power
QRP - Low transmitter powe?
QRQ - Send code or message faster
QRS - Send code or message slower
QRT - Turning Radio off and leaving Station
QRU - Listening for Calls
QRV- Are you ready to copy?
QRW - Shall I tell___you are calling him?
QRX- When will you call again?
QRZ - Who is calling my station?
QSA - Signal Strength
QSB - Signal fading
QSD - Defective CW Key
QSG - Shall I send___messages at a time?
QSK - Break - A Form of polite interuption
QSL- I copy your message - Message received
QSM - Repeat last message
QSO- Direct Communication - A conversation
QSP - Relay
QSV- Shall I send a series of V's?
QSW - Will you transmit on ___?
QSX - Will you listen for ___on ___?
QSY - Change Frequency
QSZ - Shall I send each word group more than once?
QTA - Cancel Number
QTB - Do you agree with my word count?
QTC - How many messages have you to send?
QTH - Station Location
QTR - Time of day or night
QTV - Shall I stand guard for you ?
QTX - Will you keep your station open for further communication with me?
QUA -- Have you news of ___?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.