• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FM

I think it will be a big mess. People talking FM all over the band.
Ya. I think its a bad idea. Not that I think FM is bad but I think its going to divide an already small user base.

Legal radios will be ±2 kHz deviation. Arnt the current 10 meter radios all 5 at least? I looked in my LincII+ and saw nothing for narrow/wide.

Adding tone squelch could be fun though. Like the early days of 2 meters where guys had to wire in tone boards to get in to repeaters.

Legal radios will be ±2 kHz deviation. Arn't the current 10 meter radios all 5 at least? I looked in my LincII+ and saw nothing for narrow/wide.
European CBs and "export radios" and 10 meter radios derived from "export radios" are typically narrow only, to fit in the 10 kHz channel spacing of the CB service. Emission designation something like 8K50F3E which means F3E FM phone modulation and an 8.50 kHz wide emission (about 2 kHz or 2.5 kHz deviation). Euro standard here:
https://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_en/300400_300499/300433/02.01.01_60/en_300433v020101p.pdf

Only "real" ham radios from YaeComWood and Part90 commercial radios have wide deviation setting. The modern ham radios typically have firmware that disables wide FM below 29 MHz. The Part90 radios will have wide(ish) deviation for the VHF-Lo band. Emission type 16K0F3E/20KF3E, or F3E FM phone modulation with 16 kHz or 20 kHz wide emission (about 4 kHz or 5 kHz deviation).

Last edited:
So to get wide FM, do we just increase the deviation? Or is there more to it than that? I guess I need to learn FM now, I am sure people will come up with all kinds of mods for it.
It makes no sense to widen the FM deviation in the CB radio service where most receivers have a 10 kHz IF filter channel spacing. You would just modulate outside the IF filter passband of the person receiving your signal and the received power outside the 10 kHz channel is lost as heat in the IF filter components. Leave wideband FM (16 kHz or 20 kHz modulated bandwidth, 4 kHz or 5 kHz deviation setting) to the ham radios operating above 29 MHz, or to business band "VHF-Lo" Part90 radios that have the correct IF filters and discriminators in their receivers to do something useful with the wider deviation.

Last edited:
So to get wide FM, do we just increase the deviation? Or is there more to it than that? I guess I need to learn FM now, I am sure people will come up with all kinds of mods for it.

First I have to ask WHY do you want to increase the deviation? Nothing good will come from. You will simply be louder and occupy a wider bandwidth splattering all the more and piss people off when they have to crank the volume down whenever you key up. Good Lord.......it has not even begun it's roll-out and already people want to start messing with the modulation.

AM will never die.

We will never get anyone to agree to use FM on any channels as all the channels already have locals who use AM or SSB. If we really, really needed another mode then USB has always been available and nobody uses it. FM is neat and all, but it only works if the other people on the channel use it too. We have a hard enough time keeping AM stations off of 38. I wonder if Cobra is going to make a whole new radio, or are we going to get the Cobra 29 FM? Maybe we will get the 40 upper channels like the UK?

Back in the early 80's when I got into SSB, LSB and USB were packed full of people every day between 36 and 40. People didn't hesitate to get on USB. In fact people outside of the US still use a lot of USB today.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Back in the early 80's when I got into SSB, LSB and USB were packed full of people every day between 36 and 40. People didn't hesitate to get on USB. In fact people outside of the US still use a lot of USB today.
Here in Seattle we have a dedicated group of SSBers every Saturday night at 7PM. The Puget Sound 11m SSB net meets on channel 40LSB and there is a net control! We get 40-50 people a week checkin in from all over Western Washington.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.