• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

For anyone with a VFO

Atlasta

May 7, 2011
Those of us who have VFO-equipped radios are all too familiar with the problem of drifting. On AM it's not much of an issue but it makes SSB operation more of a chore as you and the receiving station chase each other around trying to stay in tune.

This was a problem on my D201A. No matter how long I let it warm up it would drift, and by a considerable amount. I thought about retiring the old girl because the VFO just wouldn't stabilize.

Then I was told about the X-Lock. Upon checking it out I liked what I saw and after a bit more research decided to order one. With the British Pounds to USD conversion it came to just a bit under $59 delivered to my door - and I got it in less than a week, not bad for the Royal Mail and USPS!

It's a kit and while I'm sure that I could have done the assembly myself I decided to give the job to more experienced hands. He got it together and after poking around inside the Tram for a suitable mounting location, installed and calibrated the device.

Result: No more drift, not even from a dead-cold start. Tune the VFO to a frequency and it stays there. If it tries to drift the X-Lock snaps it right back to where it needs to be.

How does it work? Here's the manual that describes the theory if you are so inclined to study it. http://www.cumbriadesigns.co.uk/images/X-Lock/Manual%20X-Lock%20v3_0%20Doc1.2.pdf All I know is the thing works like a charm and now my Tram is steady in both crystal and VFO modes.

I don't often endorse products (especially not for free!) but this is something worth having if you have a drifty VFO.

Reactions: 4 people

After extended testing I have more to add about the X-Lock:

The only negative I can find is that I have lost some tuning at the top end of the VFO. Prior to the X-Lock my D201A would tune to about 27.835, although it's practical usable limit was never more than about .795 - above that it just stopped oscillating and became quite unstable. Also the power dropped off significantly above .795

Now I can't seem to get it to go much above 27.685 and it has become necessary to keep the VFO fairly close to the center of it's range. Above .685 I experience a major power drop.

I spoke with my tech about it and he explained how the Tram VFO wasn't exactly up to the highest standards, even in it's time. For comparison he showed me the VFO setup in a few vintage Yaesus and Kenwoods. BIG difference. Also AFAIK the X-Lock was designed for amateur and not CB applications.

Overall I am still quite satisfied with the result and besides, I really didn't do much work above 27.605 anyhow - around here it's all Spanish speakers on LSB in that range-.

I still recommend the X-Lock. It's a great little product.

Yep, used that circuit too in the 1970's from my country man PA0KSB.
Kept the old Yaesy FT 221 R on track better as the internal system.

Good to see it still has a few followers ;)

Update: Sent the radio to the one and only Greg Barkett and he had it fixed up even better than it already was in no time at all! VFO now has full-range operation AND is steady as a rock!

The man is truly the Tram / Browning master!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.