• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Found this

I came back in for my morning scan, and thought I would clarify my own answer a bit and I hope that it helps with further understanding.

That is a sweep generator. It is indeed a signal generator like any other in that it can generate a fairly wide range of frequencies.

What makes it a little different is that it has features built in that allow you to set a lower and upper frequency (or possibly a plus-or-minus range) on either SIDE of the center frequency... and it will sit there and constantly sweep from the lower freq to the upper freq and than "snap back" to the lower freq and start over all by itself.

What that is good for is feeding IN to an IF stage/transformer and then using a spectrum analyzer to look at the output of the transformer. What you will see on the SA is a curve that SHOWS you how the stage is filtering. If your SA is calibrated and has measurement built in, you can determine the center frequency AND see the shape of the skirts and where they are cutting frequency on each side.

Here is a link to a reference in Antique Radio Forums where they discuss the idea of aligning using a sweep generator.

https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=134571

Also, here is a video from W2AEW of him doing some explaining and shows an alignment technique using an oscilloscope.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.