• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Frances 96" whip.

Staybolt

Mar 20, 2013
My cousin gave me his old Frances 96" whip today and i installed it with a perfect 1.1 swrs. Is this a decent antenna?

Yes, they are very good antennas, and you will be very hard pressed to find another one.
The company that used to make francis is no longer, and the 96" whips are no longer made.
The last ones I was able to buy, I had to have them shipped from North Carolina inside 1/2" pvc pipe.....cost more to ship than the antennas cost me.

Jeff

Hmm no wonder it matched in so well. I tried a 102" whip and i was hard pressed to get a 2 to 1. The Frances dropped right down to a 1.1-1!

Francis had better research and development than they had marketing. I noticed they always produced a better match than other unloaded 1/4 waves but how the marketing department failed to get the most advertising in this area stumps me. They had a major advantage and I don't recall ever seeing it explained as well as what is listed in that old patent.

Reactions: 2 people
Are francis really dependent on coax to make the 50 ohm match? I tried one of their 3' antennas and didn't have much luck.

Most 3' antennas suck, not much of a way to get around it, they are just too short at 27Mhz, you can try altering coax length, but the best thing is to get something at least 48" or longer if you can get it mounted.

RW8:
Fiberglass encapsulated antennas are shorter than there bare metal counterparts, even the old Fiberglass R/S antennas were 96"

Jeff

Reactions: 2 people
RW8:
Fiberglass encapsulated antennas are shorter than there bare metal counterparts, even the old Fiberglass R/S antennas were 96"

Jeff

I'm pretty sure the linear loading used in the design of the radiators inside the Fiberglas is the reason for the shortened length. I've run wire into telescoping fiberglas fishing rods for dipoles and verticals and it didn't seem to affect the length of the wire at all.

I'll check into it a little more.

The effects of velocity factor become greater when the antenna element is completely encapsulated inside the insulation then it does when you simply run the wire through a fiberglass tube with an inside diameter much larger than the wire.

Reactions: 1 person
Most 3' antennas suck, not much of a way to get around it, they are just too short at 27Mhz, you can try altering coax length, but the best thing is to get something at least 48" or longer if you can get it mounted.

RW8:

Jeff

I don't disagree that they suck, but you should still be able to get SWR down. I just ended up going with a 4' firestik for the particular application. The tunable tip made SWR real easy.

I never thought id replace my old reliable 5' Firestick with any other antenna. Well now its been replaced!!! LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.