• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Francis 8' Wheeler Dealer Antenna

Maybe this simple looking old antenna will remain somewhat of an enigma.

Thanks for the ideas and to Jeff for his observations and dimensions.

Reactions: Tokin and 2NC995
Maybe this simple looking old antenna will remain somewhat of an enigma.

Thanks for the ideas and to Jeff for his observations and dimensions.

You’re humble, Marconi! You bit off a lot in modeling this, and for nothing in return.

Kudos and more kudos for working on this very intriguing project!

Thanks Dan, but my models were done so I could try and understand the ideas in the Patent.

Plus, I wanted to see if I could make a model that would not crash and maybe show what possibilities might be going on with such a design, if any, compared to what Francis published and what folks were claiming.

The only evidence I'm still missing is for someone with an antenna analyzer to check the bandwidth for their 96" Francis antenna, orange, gray, or black.

This could confirm to some degree the accuracy of my Eznec model which still shows to be distinctively different in the bandwidth.

Very interesting. Will be heading out on my nationwide farewell tour end of the month and prepping my mobile. Antenna collection dating back to mid-1970s. L/R below:
Original 8' Francis Wheeler Dealer
ProComm 102 w/adjustable base & HD Spring
Rat Shack 102
6' FireStik
Wilson W1000 (have 2; rental car use)
10/11M 7-1/2' Shark
Original 5-1/2' Francis Hot Rod.
Original Hustler HQ-27
Original 4' Francis Hot Rod.
Generic 4 footer

Mobile Antennas.jpg
Decisions, decisions....

Hobbieville, have a safe trip.

If that old 1000 is doing good, I'd use it. Maybe take another short one along...that still works good.

Reactions: 2NC995
Very interesting. Will be heading out on my nationwide farewell tour end of the month and prepping my mobile. Antenna collection dating back to mid-1970s. L/R below:
Original 8' Francis Wheeler Dealer
ProComm 102 w/adjustable base & HD Spring
Rat Shack 102
6' FireStik
Wilson W1000 (have 2; rental car use)
10/11M 7-1/2' Shark
Original 5-1/2' Francis Hot Rod.
Original Hustler HQ-27
Original 4' Francis Hot Rod.
Generic 4 footer

View attachment 37363
Decisions, decisions....
You may be interested in this sale on KSL.
I've done business with these folks already, are paypal friendly and fast shippers.
https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/59448450
Screenshot_20200518-085844.png

Hobbieville, have a safe trip.

If that old 1000 is doing good, I'd use it. Maybe take another short one along...that still works good.

Thanks. I have a backup W1000, both pre-Chinese. I haven't bought a new antenna since 1998 except for the Shark, W1000 and an A99 that's still sealed in the box. May ground mount the A99 at high altitudes during my travels. Still have to pick up a ball mount for left sail panel and puck for the roof. 73 and gd dx.

Reactions: Tokin
Nationwide?

I drive for a living.

(Below is for all readers, not just OP)

Wouldn’t be without Purple brand seat cushions.

1) Extreme Model (covers complete seat base)
2). Lumbar Cushion

Won’t wear out. (I affix with 10# Industrial Velcro strips).

I wouldn’t be able to do my job without them.

A older one at home (a few hundred thousand miles on it; can’t see any changes from new) is on my couch. I may sit without cease and next to never change position. All day.

I’d first replace the car seat base foam on that antique auto you’re driving. It hardens up. (The job isn’t that bad).

What wears out truck drivers isn’t the hard ride (or miles)

It’s the vibration.

The Purple brand cushions take the cracks out of the road, sure. But it’s the cessation of vibration that’s most noticeable at day’s end.

( As to that buggy otherwise, brand-new shocks-struts plus ZERO steering slop. And ALL new external lamps. The HHR and PT Cruiser were po’ boy slash ghetto cruisers. They’ve disappeared off the highways. That usually means steering & suspension neglected, first. Cheap tires finished them off. That was first lesson in observation for son many years ago at a salvage yard looking over 8-15/yr old bad crashes).

Good luck!

P.S. Unlike up thru circa 1997, ALL the roads are crowded daily with thousands of cars for which there is NO explanation. The worst hours are from 11-am until 11-pm. One’s average speed is reduced in the need for vehicle separation (a football field). We tend to start our day very early (0200-0400) in order to get the most miles done when we are fresh and traffic volume is low. With a desired 500-mile plus daily average, that first 4-5 hours is crucial.

75-miles from city center is the outer limit for the home-daily guys. That’s where AM-19 becomes invaluable.

Last edited:
Reactions: hobbieville
Thanks, Slow-

I began my specific-purpose search with three vehicles in mind: 2005-2008 Dodge Magnum, Chrysler PT Cruiser panel and Chevrolet HHR panel. After 8 months of looking at and inquiring about vehicles, the economically/reasonably priced vehicles were junk and anything decent was outrageously overpriced. Right away, I scratched PT Cruiser from my list. I got so disgusted my search went to the bottom of my to-do list.

I couldn't believe my good fortune on condition and price when I talked a tiny elderly lady into selling this ride to me. Before she signed the paperwork at the car lot for another one, I doubled their offer cash and scalped it. Ain't nothing beaten or thrashed about it; needed a remote mirror switch, a couple of bulbs, wiper blades and my tired old butt in the driver's seat.... and, she had complete service records from the local dealership.

Unfortunately, it cost me my job as I was I was a vehicle relocation driver for that 5-state chain of car dealerships. Oh, well.... now I'm in full retirement. End of last month in preparation for my cruise I had the struts, shocks, sway bar, mirror switch, lamps, blades, battery and oil & filter replaced. Had my druthers? It's not a panel and has a damned sun roof but; all things considered, I can comfortably live with that.

As for a brief intro/background I never posted here, I was a line tech for all domestic and several foreign vehicle marques during the 70s. During the 80s I drove OTR for R&L Transport, J Miller Express, Goodway Transport, Mercury Motor Express, ACE Freight and my all-time favorite company Indian River Tank Lines. Anyone further curious, you can google n9emz (and do an image search there).

I've already taken up too much of my and your time here.... we've all got people who need doing and things that need seeing that may be far more important. I'll be heading out soon and will be listening. Thanks to all, 73 and gd dx.

Sam, "hobbieville"
NRO041
QS041
2WR041
and, N9EMZ on 10/12 Meters

The Chevy HHR is a great little car. Pretty easy to work on too. Check your motor mounts. Usually need to be done at 100k along with wheel bearings which are an easy 1hr per side driveway repair.
If you live around trees you might want to pull the windshield wipers and the plastic cover below and clean out the drains on either side of the windshield. They have a habit of clogging and diverting water to the driver and passenger floor. There is a cabin filter behind your glove compartment door. Replace with a carbon activated filter.
Your air filter is in a sealed unit and its not easy to get to so it rarely gets changed.
Here is an oil free washable dry flow filter that works great and made by AEM part number 28-20339. Another big deal is Screenshot_20200519-134424.png 20190824_165908-1.jpg the transmission and it being serviced every 50k miles. If you dont know, its over 100k and its shifting fine leave it alone
Dont get soaked for your motor mounts. Ask me and ill look for my oem gm mount part numbers. There are 4 mounts you need, one will be a bargain at $100 but its the easiest one to change. Hit me up if you need more HHR info.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated