• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

francis amazer

bob85

Supporting Member
Mar 30, 2005
england
is it possible to determine if the francis amazers advertised on different cb shop websites are original made by francis antennas?
i heared the barjan versions were poorer quality than the originals,
could at least some of the ones advertised be original francis or are they so long gone that its highly likely that the ones on the net are barjan made,

whats the difference between the amazer and the 8ft wheeler dealer?

thanks.

I don't know if it is fact or fiction but I've been told that Barjan has not made any Amazers, if that is true they would all be the real deal.Maybe someone in the know can confirm this.

The original francis amazers were gray in color. Francis also made a similar antenna (I don't remember the name) in black. I could never tell any difference in performance between the two. If the Wheeler-Dealer is gray in color then I can't help you. the amazer is a great antenna.

is it possible to determine if the francis amazers advertised on different cb shop websites are original made by francis antennas?
i heared the barjan versions were poorer quality than the originals,
could at least some of the ones advertised be original francis or are they so long gone that its highly likely that the ones on the net are barjan made,

whats the difference between the amazer and the 8ft wheeler dealer?

thanks.
The original Francis Amazer was model CB-50 and gray in color. It has 3 1/4 wave wires embedded in fiberglass. It was advertised as a triple quarter wave antenna which people mistook for a 3/4 wave antenna.

The Wheeler Dealer antennas were model CB-28 and came in three colors (red, white, and black). They had a single wire embedded in the fiberglass.

I spoke to Barjan just before they discontinued the 8' Francis line. I was TOLD that all the antennas had three wires because it was easier to do the runs on them. I did NOT cut any open to find out.

The reason given for discontinuing the 8' antennas had to do with shipping costs and issues. They didn't sell enough to make it worthwhile. This came directly from a Barjan employee to me.

I would disagree that they "couldn't do it." They obviously did.

"The reason given for discontinuing the 8' antennas had to do with shipping costs and issues. They didn't sell enough to make it worthwhile. This came directly from a Barjan employee to me."

yep, that's the story that was put out for public relations consumption. they were discontinued because they couldn't keep the studs on the bottom of the shafts. i have several here on display that make it painfully obvious that they were not able to exactly duplicate that part of the manufacturing process.

in the meantime i'm still selling Original Francis CB50 Amazers from NOS. the barjan built defects remain in the corner of the shop for display purposes.

i have shipped 2 - 3 at a time out-of-state for as little as $14.75.

the Francis DiBar supports 2 CB50 Amazers for increased gain over a single CB50. the Quad Disk supports 4 CB50's for the most powerful, broadbanded mobile antenna ever built for 11M. see the First Picture link on the page linked to above. the TriQuad Mobile Array covers 21 - 33 Mhz. and never sees anything higher that a 1.5:1 SWR across the entire range.

OK, I've seen 102's used in pairs to gain bandwidth on a single bar. It also increases gain?

How would this Quad be mounted?

"OK, I've seen 102's used in pairs to gain bandwidth on a single bar. It also increases gain?" How would this Quad be mounted?

multiple radiators fed in phase produce pattern compression in the elevation plane which results in increased gain at more advantageous take-off angles. the CB50 achieves greater broadband capability due to the fact that the three 1/4 wave elements are cut below, at and above resonance with respect to the 11m band. like other "large" antennas, a heavy duty mount is recommended, especially when using 4XCB50's on the Quad Disk.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.