• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Francis cb50 8 foot whip

Nibbs

Jul 12, 2005
Upstate New York
I just baught this antenna, and was looking for some feedback. I was going to get a 102" ss whip, but after talking to some people, went with a fiberglass whip. I do a lot of off roadin, and I guess the fiberglass antenna does not whip around as much as just the steel one. Is this a good cb antenna to use? I will be using it on the road, as well as off road, and all im looking for is good distance, dosnt have to be crystal clear, just has to work, besides, im a newdie, wouldnt know the differance any how.

well, im a newbie, and I just want somethig that works great. A lot of people told me that theese antennas have the same performance of a ss whip, while being more rigid. I will probably mount it on a spring so that if it hits anything, the spring should absorb some of that shock, and while cruisin in the hammer lane, the antenna wont be laying flat. Also...it matches my truck :p

Ok, heres what i'm thinking as for mounting. I was planning on mounting it in the center of my truck bed, up as close to the cab as possible. Now I am torn between mounting it in the bed itself, or up on a custome mounting bracket that would make the base level with the lip, Obviously the latter would probably perform better from what ive read, but would mounting it in the bed make a huge differance?

Usin' the CB50 off- road will be fine. Just try to figure out a way to tie it off onto something(bend it back) they used to make plastic pieces to hook the tips into. I'm not sure who makes these, but maybe you could make one out of a piece of 1/8"inch nylon. You would have to modify the slot that the tip fits into anyway, because of the thicker fibreglass diameter and yes, you can still get out with the antenna bent half way over. You might want to put a little glue under the weather cap so it don't slip off, while your :bounce :bounce 73's 444/Western Oregon

Hopfully you dont hit a tree with the antenna. SNAP. I would have gotten the SS whip. But if thats what you want it should work just fine.
I 've ran the Francis CB-28 for many years on my daily and woods truck and have never had one snap hitting trees or anything else, its been a great antenna, yes i waa running ss 102 whip before the Francis, central Florida swampers

I run a 96" Francis fiberglass whip, been running them for years.
I have managed to break one, it was my fault.
I backed out of the carport and snapped it off about two foot from the top.
I only have two left, they are like gold now.

Jeff

When I was running a CB50 Amazer (I'd give anything to have one again) the only problem I had was low-hanging branches damaging the tip. I bought a short piece of LEXAN tubing that was a tight fit on the antenna tip and that solved the problem.

I have the CB 50 , orange that I am running now and a Gray Wheeler dealer left.
It's been a long time since I have seen the full size whips for sale.
After calling around the country looking at every CB shop I could find, I ran across two at a music store in South Carolina that sold cb's about 12 years ago and bought them both.
The guy did not even know they were no longer made That was the last nos ones I have seen anywhere.
I am sure there is a little old cb/television repair shop in a quiet little town that has half a dozen wheeler dealers on a dusty shelf in the back by a case of 6kd6 tv sweep tubes.......
The search goes on.

Jeff

I bought my last 2 Cb50 amazer (gray) from a small CB shop in South Georgia back in early 2000s. Both were stolen off of my pickup truck in our driveway. Should have taken them off at night. Best mobile antenna I have ever run.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
I 've ran the Francis CB-28 for many years on my daily and woods truck and have never had one snap hitting trees or anything else, its been a great antenna, yes i waa running ss 102 whip before the Francis, central Florida swampers
are ya who got some for sale in dade city?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.