• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FRANSIS ANTENNAS

Switch Kit

Apr 6, 2005
Was just told recently that Fransis will not be making the Amazer or Wheeler Dealer line of antennas' anymore. (Those are 8ft'er's (96 in.) I've used them both over the years and allways liked those better over the 102 in. SS Whips . (They just seemed easier to match and a lot less whipping around when driving compared to the 102 in. whips) Fransis will still make the 3ft / 4ft / 4.5ft / and 5.5 ft , Now I know the Amazer was 2 copper wires from bottom to end and the Wheeler Dealer was 3 wires. Would I guess to say that all the smaller model Fransis antenna's have some kind of winding at the bottoms to make up the differents ? even the smaller size models tend to get out very well for what they are , I've uses the 5.5 on a magmount in the past and it did a very good job compared to a Wilson for say. Very sorry to see the bigger antenna's go bye bye :(

Switch Kit said:
Now I know the Amazer was 2 kopper wires from bottom to end and the Wheeler Dealer was 3 wires.
Nope. The Amazers (CB-50 and come ONLY in gray) were called a "Triple Quarter Wave" because they had 3 wires. The Wheeler Dealer (CB-28 in three colors) had a single wire.

Many people confused the term, "Triple Quarter Wave" with 3/4 wave. NOPE! It is only a 1/4 wave antenna, but with 3-wires.

Barjan owns Francis (and Wilson). Both the CB-28 and CB-50 have 3-wires now because of simplicity of manufacturing. I reported last year that they would no longer be available. The reason is because of the cost of shipping! That's it! I spoke with Barjan in depth about this (and the quality of Wilson antennas now).

thank you MC , I stand corrected on the wires. IM just sorry to hear they won't be selling them anymore , and damned if I don't recall the coversation and about shipping being mentioned , slipped my mind. Damn it !! I just gave a gray Amazer away not to long ago as well . Looks like I'll be on the look out for one before there will be no more to be gotten.

i have a cut cross-section of a Francis CB50 manufactured by Francis which clearly shows 3 1/4 wave conductors from the stud to the tip as pictured in 003541567-001 ie., September 25, 1967.

the CB50 has been and still is an antenna comprised of 3 1/4 wave radiating elements with due consideration given to the length and diameter of the conductors so as to effect broader operating bandwidth and increased gain when compared to a single 1/4 wave element. triple quarter wave would be an accurate assessment of 3 1/4 wave end fed elements in phase while the term 3/4 wavelength would be inaccurate.

this was not done for the simplicity of manufacturing. the claim that they are no longer manufactured due to shipping costs is bullshit. Barjan was simply unable to manufacture them to the same quality standards and had problems with the studs falling apart from the bottom of the glass shafts. i and others have seen this first hand.

with regard to hard-to-find antennas i have both the original CB50 Amazers manufactured by Francis* and the original QuadWrap PowerStik antennas manufactured by Van Ordt* in stock in the 4.5' and 5' foot lengths. the new PowerStik II's are also every bit the performer as their Van Ordt counterparts.

* available through the new shop location in Juliaetta, Idaho only. not available through the Harrison and Holbrook locations. quantities are limited.

Master Chief said:
Barjan owns Francis (and Wilson). Both the CB-28 and CB-50 have 3-wires now because of simplicity of manufacturing. I reported last year that they would no longer be available. The reason is because of the cost of shipping! That's it! I spoke with Barjan in depth about this (and the quality of Wilson antennas now).

Barjan has turned into the "Walmart" or "Microsoft" of CB, buying up other companies. I know they bought more than Francis and Wilson, do you know who the others are?

Tnx
Woody

I see freecell is back and in true form as always. I see he validated almost everything I said, but his "bullshit" comment is out of line and I'll fix that in a day or two.

When I spoke to Barjan, this was the reason I was given. If there are manufacturing issues (why now after all of these years?), then the person I spoke to was unable to comment on that.

It's too bad Barjan has choosen to destroy this line as well.

as I said before , I had forgotten about the shipping issues on those that I had been told about that in the first place , You may well be right there Freecell , it's all good with me. Apparently MC heard the same thing from the horses mouth , my sourse was from a distributor 30 years in the business. So there are two of us here that were pretty much told the same thing from very reliable sourses. Good point there Stoney !! Barjan really seems to be buying it up,don't they ? Maybe after damned near 2 decades of Wilson 1000s ,maybe Barjan could start putting on more reliable 259ers on the end of there coax ? :) I suppose by hand would cost more. :(

Great antennas and the 8' Francis whip always matched in well for me but I wouldn't put much over 500 watts RMS through them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.