• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Free smartphone app tells you what band to use

ON4AA

Mar 29, 2024
Right on time for the 2024 CQ WPX SSB contest:

Unsure what band to use?

Then this free, no-nonsense smartphone browser app with real-time local ionospheric conditions is for you!

There is also a desktop version.

hamwaves.com.swx.boulder.crop.png

Last edited:

Has anyone tried the link?

I'm skittish of a link, especially from an unknown member.

Am I paranoid :ROFLMAO:?
Here are my creds:
My web site, hamwaves.com has been referenced in:
  • ARRL Antenna Book, Edition 25
  • ON4UN’s Low-Band DXing, ARRL, Edition 5
  • Rothammel's Antenna Book
Moreover, it is a smartphone web browser app, which is generally safer than an ordinary APK app.
So, no worries. It's about time you click that link! :)

A new version of the no-nonsense propagation app with Maidenhead grid locator entry is now available. To use the new version straight away, first empty the browser cache with Ctrl+Shift+R or equivalent.

The desktop experience will now also be better. Printing to PDF, for example, was also improved.

Some lingering issues with the Safari browser on IOS may still exist. I will have a look at those next week.

Not everyone has that luxury of time. Think for example of SOTA operators.
Only real point is that you can't really know what is going on unless you actually get on the radio to find out. If you just go by different predictions you might almost never get on the radio while always waiting for the optimum conditions.

Now planing a DXpedition that is going to be expensive is another matter. If you are already there or on a summit anyway, you probably are not going to take the day off just because of some poor propagation predictions. You're probably going to try and make the best of it.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome. I recognize the callsign. Nice work on the app and it looks good on my Android device. I have bookmarked it!

Thanks for your encouragement, Moleculo!
Yesterday, I added a bunch more ionosonde stations.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.