• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Freebanding for Beginners

Ok....so another paragraph. I'm not extremely well-versed in this area, so by all means anyone that can add to it (or correct anything unclear) please do so.

4. ACTIVATIONS, CONTESTS, HOLIDAYS and the "/":

- Activations: An activation is a station operating from a new area. This could be an area where there are otherwise no 11M operators, and if there have been none in the past decade will have a 0, or /0 suffix. A recent popular one was 510AT0, operating from an "undisclosed location" (which turned out to be Sudan - the 160 division). This is to protect the operators...."510" isn't a real division; and the real division is revealed only after the station is shut down. These /0 activations are usually pretty well-publicized on club websites and are highly sought after. They typically operate for a limited time and try to make as many contacts as possible.

Generally, its best to keep QSOs very short to give others the opportunity to contact a rare station. Some have gone as far as publishing "naughty lists" for operators who are in the log (ITL) but didn't follow through in requesting a QSL. The idea being that they denied another operator the chance to make a rare contact.

- Contests: You'll sometimes hear a station with a /XXX suffix, such as 2AB123/ABC, or 2AB/ABC1, and so on. This typically denotes some form of contest. The suffix could be added after the unit number, or directly after the club letters, depending on how they’ve organized the contest.

A couple recent examples I have heard is the /SC suffix used for the Alpha Tango "Santa Contest", /SHBS used by the Echo Kilo club for a Coronvirus contest (Stay Home Be Safe), or /HE (Happy Easter) by Papa Alpha Tango club. Individual rules vary, but often there is one card for all the stations using the suffix and the stations you worked are checked off in boxes on the card received. There are contests for everything from holidays, club anniversaries, sporting events and more. Same as with an activation, the operator will usually want keep the QSO short, so get in the log, and move on.

Sometimes, "/ABC" can also mean a temporary station operating from a unique landmark, park, or etc, within a division that has multiple 11M operators (unlike a /0 activation). So, if the “Alpha Bravo” club wanted to host a special station from North Carolina’s Pisgah National Forest, they could use a call sign like “2AB/PNF”...and then send everyone special cards with waterfalls or pictures of mountains.

- Holidays/Vacations/Work travel: Using my example call sign of 2AB123... If an individual works or travels to another country, lets say Chile, he may have the opportunity to set up a 11M station while there. Problem is, he can't use "2" as a prefix when operating in Chile (the 32 Division), has to maintain the club affiliation and his unit number. This is solved by using a "/" (separator) in the prefix. So, while operating in Chile, 2AB123 becomes 32/2AB123. Using that call sign, the band knows what country the TX is from, and who it is. This is generally an individual activity and not a club activity, but will often require approval from the club. They will sometimes have special QSL cards. Some are one time only, and some are recurring.

With all the various types of activations and contests, you sometimes need a sequence number, or QSO number, provided by the activation in order to request a QSL card. In addition to the things you would normally log for a contact, you should be prepared to copy that as well as any special QSL instructions the operator offers.

Last edited:
"Freebanding for Beginners"

We've had some good discussions about this before and Larry, 2SD178, is probably our resident expert. He's contributed a lot to other discussions on the topic.

Anyway, a couple of my own observations to go with the original topic...

1. CALL SIGNS: Using just a number as a call sign works for e-skip in the US, but in international dx the operator may well not know what you mean by "407 in the cornfields". The anatomy of a 11 meter call sign is XXYYZZZ - XX being the division (country) YY being the club and ZZZ being the unit number.

Using that format will get MUCH better responses.

2AB123, as an example. 2 = division (2=CONUS), "AB" for Alpha Bravo club and 123 being the unit number.

-The division is from 1-3 digits.
-The club is usually 2, but sometimes 3 letters.
-The unit number is usually 3 numbers.

Some clubs break down the unit number into different meanings, others are sequential and some mean nothing. For example, "001" may be the country coordinator for the respective club, or it may just be the first club operator within that division.

Without a club it’s just 2Unit123. Nothing wrong with that either, except the club affiliation will get better responses.

Several members here have substituted a state for the club letters, such as my username “NC”. So long as those letters aren’t in use by a club that seems to work also. If you do so and send/respond to QSLs you’ll likely find many clubs trying to recruit you. I can only say I would hold out for the one you want to stick with...even if it means waiting for a number of confirmed contacts. Confirmed = completed QSL card exchange.

There’s 11 meter division listings posted all over the net and they change periodically. EDIT: added to and deleted from is more accurate than “change”. You’ll quickly learn to listen for divisions you haven’t heard, at least if you’re wanting to confirm other countries. Larry (2SD178) has posted a nice map here: http://www.qrz11.com/upload/QRZ11-DXCC-MAP.jpg

So, to break down a couple call signs:

3RC001 = 3 division (Brazil), Romeo Charlie Club, unit 001.
350AT101 = 350 Division (Bonaire), Alpha Tango Club, unit 101.

2. CALLING FREQ: 27.555USB (and 5 up and down IMO), should be used only for making a call. 99% of the time when I hear a ragchew on this freq it's a couple US locals somewhere who don't realize the band is open.

If you respond to someone on this freq you'll usually find that you are very quickly urged to QSY. This is because stations are not allowed to log a contact on this frequency, according to the DX Clusters and their club rules.

Much better than trying to start a contact and then QSY is to call on the calling freq with a request to QSY. You'll often hear something like this: "CQ DX, CQ DX. 2AB123 calling DX, 2 Division listening on 27530, QSY 530. Thank you". In this case 530 should be checked for traffic before making this call.

Any station wanting to respond can then QSY and make the contact on the second frequency. If multiples respond, as is often the case, then the operator should identify one station, and ask others to stand by.

Also....you can narrow you call to a specific area like so:

27555: CQ Pacific, CQ Pacific, 2AB123 calling CQ Pacific. Please QSY 27570, QSY 570. Thank you"

I won't say I *never* try to make contact with a station that is not calling N America (because occasionally they are a rare contact) but I always let them make multiple attempts to contact their target area first, definitely yielding to anyone in their target area, then try to make a very quick contact and wish them luck. Often I find they had no idea they had propagation with N America.

3. WHAT MAKES A CONTACT: "I hear you in there Argentina. I can't quite make you out but you're definitely making the trip" - That's not a contact. Now I realize that not everyone cares and might just be happy to have had Argentina respond. But.....consider that you might be an important station to the operator in Argentina. Many operators like to collect US states.

It is much nicer to offer a few opportunities to the Argentina operator to try again, perhaps even finding a better frequency for him to make the contact.

I'm not sure the whole world would agree, but for me the absolute minimum is exchanging call signs, signal reports, and first name. If I can't copy all that, or they can't copy me....I don't log it. "Bonuses" as I like to think of them are city (or state or province), working conditions, and the like. Weather is also popularly exchanged, as is means for a QSL - manager, website, etc.

Call sign, signal report, first name, date and UTC time, and frequency should be logged...at least if you intend to respond to any QSLs.
This is great information. I'm much more likely to stick to stateside for 11M and ham radio for DX, but it's still good to know how to properly work 11M DX.
Now that I know how to do it, I might just try it sometime.

Thanks for posting this up.

Ok....so another paragraph. I'm not extremely well-versed in this area, so by all means anyone that can add to it (or correct anything unclear) please do so.

4. ACTIVATIONS, CONTESTS, HOLIDAYS and the "/":

- Activations: An activation is a station operating from a new area, where there are otherwise no 11M operators. A recent popular one was 510AT0, operating from an "undisclosed location" (which turned out to be Sudan). These stations will use 0, or /0 as a suffix..("/" usually pronounced "separator"). These are usually pretty well-publicized on club websites and are highly sought after. They typically operate for a limited time and try to make as many contacts as possible. Generally, its best to keep QSOs very short to give others the opportunity to contact a rare station. Some have gone as far as publishing "naughty lists" for operators who are in the log (ITL) but didn't follow through in requesting a QSL. The idea being that they denied another operator the chance to make a rare contact.

The "510AT/0" mention above, actually means a activation that is taking place in a country that is very dangerous to be in (hence #510). Only a select few people from the club will know where it is at, this all to protect the operators. AT is the club (alfa tango) and (0) meaning it's been at least 10 years since the last activation in that country.

When the activation is over and the operators have left the country, then it is posted on line as to where it was and who the QSL manager will be, then one can send for the card if they wish to have one.

The "510AT/0" mention above, actually means a activation that is taking place in a country that is very dangerous to be in (hence #510). Only a select few people from the club will know where it is at, this all to protect the operators. AT is the club (alfa tango) and (0) meaning it's been at least 10 years since the last activation in that country.

When the activation is over and the operators have left the country, then it is posted on line as to where it was and who the QSL manager will be, then one can send for the card if they wish to have one.

Thanks Larry...I never knew what the “0” meant.

Should have been a little more clear on 510, as it’s not a straightforward example.

For anyone still reading, the activation was actually 160AT0 (Sudan), and like Larry said, used “510” more or less as a front to keep the thing under wraps until it was over.

505SD0 is another that is doing the same...I think they’re active now.

I tried to edit the above, with Larry’s input, to make it a bit more clear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
"Freebanding for Beginners"

We've had some good discussions about this before and Larry, 2SD178, is probably our resident expert. He's contributed a lot to other discussions on the topic.

Anyway, a couple of my own observations to go with the original topic...

1. CALL SIGNS: Using just a number as a call sign works for e-skip in the US, but in international dx the operator may well not know what you mean by "407 in the cornfields". The anatomy of a 11 meter call sign is XXYYZZZ - XX being the division (country) YY being the club and ZZZ being the unit number.

Using that format will get MUCH better responses.

2AB123, as an example. 2 = division (2=CONUS), "AB" for Alpha Bravo club and 123 being the unit number.

-The division is from 1-3 digits.
-The club is usually 2, but sometimes 3 letters.
-The unit number is usually 3 numbers.

Some clubs break down the unit number into different meanings, others are sequential and some mean nothing. For example, "001" may be the country coordinator for the respective club, or it may just be the first club operator within that division.

Without a club it’s just 2Unit123. Nothing wrong with that either, except the club affiliation will get better responses.

Several members here have substituted a state for the club letters, such as my username “NC”. So long as those letters aren’t in use by a club that seems to work also. If you do so and send/respond to QSLs you’ll likely find many clubs trying to recruit you. I can only say I would hold out for the one you want to stick with...even if it means waiting for a number of confirmed contacts. Confirmed = completed QSL card exchange.

There’s 11 meter division listings posted all over the net and they change periodically.

2. CALLING FREQ: 27.555USB
3. WHAT MAKES A CONTACT

I'm not sure the whole world would agree, but for me the absolute minimum is exchanging call signs, signal reports, and first name. If I can't copy all that, or they can't copy me....I don't log it. "Bonuses" as I like to think of them are city (or state or province), working conditions, and the like. Weather is also popularly exchanged, as is means for a QSL - manager, website, etc.

Call sign, signal report, first name, date and UTC time, and frequency should be logged...at least if you intend to respond to any QSLs.

First I want to thank you Dan for taking the time to share your information , I've only been back on the radio for a year or so, SSB only about a month, I got into radio because I like experimenting with antennas and making DX contacts, (good cheap fun),
I log a DX contact if we exchange call signs, that's good enough for me,
I had not heard of exchanging QSO cards on 11 meters, this would be something I would be interested in.
Here in Central Texas, I get mostly Northeast and Southeast states, Caribbean, and South America, so not much for me to do on a mostly European DX site, but I will go ahead and register on the DX cluster to see where it goes, I understand were at the bottom of the solar cycle I may not be getting my money's worth at the low end of the cycle,
I do hear a lot of world wide radio calls on ssb , I thought about signing up with them , looks like they are a Facebook group with no working website,
Again thanks for the help as I continue to learn and grow my hobby.

Last edited:
I had not heard of exchanging QSO cards on 11 meters, this would be something I would be interested in.

I don't think its happening much on the regular 40, and especially much among US operators. I started in the hobby long after US QSL exchanges were common. Still very common on the freeband, however. Getting into the loop and learning how to access QSL info is the hardest part in getting started. It gets much easier once you crack the code on that. QRZ11, ClusterDX, and google searches are your friend on this topic.

Caribbean and South America, so not much for me to do on a mostly European DX site, but I will go ahead and register on the DX cluster to see where it goes

This has been a topic lately in other threads. Just a couple thoughts...Caribbean and South American stations also log on the clusters...a lot. Second, the clusters are also an excellent QSL directory should you decide to go down that route with your international contacts. It's fun, but figure its a few bucks for every card you send, is very slow, and not 100% on responses. Batching cards sent to managers is one way to save a bit on return shipping.

Good luck, Christopher. Hope you have fun.

Reactions: Christopher17
Dan great job of putting the material out there! Lets hope the DX swings up asap lol

You were killing it this spring with Pacific contacts...I’m jealous!!

Haha!!

Only two pacific this spring for me, Tahiti and Borabora...I’m sure you know both the fellas I’m referring to.

But, from a mobile on the east coast, I won’t complain.

Better prop soon, I am sure!

Reactions: G GOLLY WAlly

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.