• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Freebanding for Beginners

I think you read it wrong.

I'm saying these export radios need converting to tx on cb. Ootb, they can rx on cb but only tx on their intended range such as 25 to 28 mhz for most of them with cb band excluded til converted.

The exports I have seen cannot even RX 11m out of the box. They are restricted to either just 10m or 10/12m. Once modified they will then cover 11m. that's the way my 2950DX is.

The exports I have seen cannot even RX 11m out of the box. They are restricted to either just 10m or 10/12m. Once modified they will then cover 11m. that's the way my 2950DX is.
Didn't know that. The ones I had always got converted right away so I never tried it.

interesting why that's so because I would have thought at least the 10 meter portion would tx then rx everywhere else.

That's how the galaxy, connex, magnum and stryker radios I've bought new were. No tx or rx on 11 meters until they were modified.

whats going on with 27.555 i never even hear any one up there any more... in fact most all the ch are Dead above 40.. even when there is skip roiling in.

27.415 - 27.515 LSB usually have some activity on them when skip is rolling. Maybe not all of those frequencies all the time but i have heard activity on them lately.

Last edited:
27.555mhz/LSB becomes a torrent when the solar cycle favors it - in a few years from now. Nearly every country and island in the world is made active. There are international radio clubs (Sugar Delta, Alpha Tango, and so on) that post`those contacts on various websites. They even enter in DX competitions/contests.

It might be quiet now; but . . . .

Last edited:
Most of the freeband ops I know all run hf ham gear opened up for "General coverage".... I know very few that run export or 10 meter stuff or converted cb gear.

Reactions: Tib2K
I just ran across this:

ELEVEN METER FREEBAND RADIO
What is often called "Freeband Radio", is the illegal transmissions outside of the legal CB channels. For anyone who is interested in communicating with others throughout the world, this is a great attraction, but be warned. If you do operate there, at least take into consideration the emergency frequencies used by Maritime stations and others on this part of 11 Meters.
To DX on these frequencies, it is best to follow the same procedure as on the CB channels. Listen before you operate. Knowing the frequency where the groups and DX stations operate is essential to the DX'er. That rare exotic station will very seldom show up on the International calling frequency! By all means, put out the occassional short call, but spend more time listening throughout the band.
The International Call frequency is 27.555 usb, and the old calling frequency of 27.560 usb is another good one. The European Call frequency is 26,285 usb. However, there are many group meeting frequencies, such as, 27.515 lsb used by the PIG (Peace International Group) whose members cover much of the Pacific area.

Reactions: walterjn
27.555mhz/LSB becomes a torrent when the solar cycle favors it - in a few years from now. Nearly every country and island in the world is made active. There are international radio clubs (Sugar Delta, Alpha Tango, and so on) that post`those contacts on various websites. They even enter in DX competitions/contests.

It might be quiet now; but . . . .

I sure hope your right Robb, would be so much fun!

I just ran across this:

ELEVEN METER FREEBAND RADIO
What is often called "Freeband Radio", is the illegal transmissions outside of the legal CB channels. For anyone who is interested in communicating with others throughout the world, this is a great attraction, but be warned. If you do operate there, at least take into consideration the emergency frequencies used by Maritime stations and others on this part of 11 Meters.
To DX on these frequencies, it is best to follow the same procedure as on the CB channels. Listen before you operate. Knowing the frequency where the groups and DX stations operate is essential to the DX'er. That rare exotic station will very seldom show up on the International calling frequency! By all means, put out the occassional short call, but spend more time listening throughout the band.
The International Call frequency is 27.555 usb, and the old calling frequency of 27.560 usb is another good one. The European Call frequency is 26,285 usb. However, there are many group meeting frequencies, such as, 27.515 lsb used by the PIG (Peace International Group) whose members cover much of the Pacific area.
Some good info here but a couple things I would like to comment on. First off I have been playing freeband since the mid 90's and have never heard any legit use of the spectrum above 40 and below 28.000. Not saying it's not there but I have never heard it personally. I'm not bilingual so I might have heard Spanish speaking business/maratime/government ect... and didn't know it? When the cycle was on the up listening on .555 was a good bet for Europe and some exotic dx abroad. Most stations call and QSY (move ) to another freq and listen for calls. With the cycle going down the toilet it's pretty quit now above 40...very limited DX..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated