• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Freebanding for Beginners

@Rok55

Here is how that page looks on my computer...

The page.png
I do use "Ad Block Plus"

here is the full article:

For the most part, Dx-ing is the greatest attraction to the 11-Meter operator. Having communications or a QSO with another station in some far away corner of the globe, is for many, a way of life! It was this attraction in the 1970's which helped fill the ranks of the Radio Amateur fraternity. I wonder how many Amateurs once spent their time chasing DX on 11-Meters? Like Amateur Radio, most 11-Meter operators take their hobby seriously and make sure they are not going to cause interference to anyone else. If they operate out of band, they should be well aware of the consequence and risk they take.
Here you will see that it is possible under the present conditions, to work DX on the Citizen Band. Those who wish to venture away from the channels, at least, do so with consideration. Make sure that you know all about the frequencies you are using. Remember also, there is no such thing as a Free-band! Below you will find a list of frequencies used by the emergency services here in Australia .... Please keep well away from these. There may be other frequencies here and elsewhere in the world that I am not aware of, so be sure to check locally before you operate. It may be ok to use FM on this part of the band in Europe, but SSB is a different matter, and could cause interference under certain conditions. (see Australian Maritime Freq. below)

The Australian 27MHz CB covers 40 channels, from 26.965MHz to 27.405MHz. The official SSB calling channel is 16 lsb, and the AM Call channel is 11. Channel 9 is used for emergencies.
With the excellent propagation these days, it is common to hear many international stations working on various parts of this band. Channel 27 is used by South Africa, Ch34 usb is for Bali Is., Many of the islands of Micronesia and the North Pacific area use Ch33 and Ch36 for calling. On Ch37 and Ch38, it is very seldom we do not hear Hawaii and Stateside working DX. One of the most sought after places is Rotuma Island near Fiji, and this is often heard on Ch36 usb. Be polite and patient when working these stations as many only speak a little English and can be slow in coming back to you.

NEW ZEALAND CB RADIO
Like the Australian CB, the New Zealand CB radio also has 40 channels. These cover the lower end of 11 Meters, starting at 26.330 MHz to 26.770MHz, with channels 25 to 40 for ssb use only. 26.720 lsb is used for ssb calling, and channel 15 (26.500MHz) being the emergency channel.

ELEVEN METER FREEBAND RADIO
What is often called "Freeband Radio", is the illegal transmissions outside of the legal CB channels. For anyone who is interested in communicating with others throughout the world, this is a great attraction, but be warned. If you do operate there, at least take into consideration the emergency frequencies used by Maritime stations and others on this part of 11 Meters.
To DX on these frequencies, it is best to follow the same procedure as on the CB channels. Listen before you operate. Knowing the frequency where the groups and DX stations operate is essential to the DX'er. That rare exotic station will very seldom show up on the International calling frequency! By all means, put out the occassional short call, but spend more time listening throughout the band.
The International Call frequency is 27.555 usb, and the old calling frequency of 27.560 usb is another good one. The European Call frequency is 26,285 usb. However, there are many group meeting frequencies, such as, 27.515 lsb used by the PIG (Peace International Group) whose members cover much of the Pacific area.

Radio Communications in the Pacific Region

Throughout the Pacific, HF radio still plays an important part in communications. Even in these days of satellite phone service, computers and the internet. Most of the communications carried on in this vast area is on the high frequency bands. On the main islands radio is used for general purposes, as not all will have a reliable phone service.
Amateur radio is widely used. In Guam and the other U.S. territories and possessions in the Pacific there are over 1000 licensed amateurs, and countless more who operate on other frequencies.
Ham operators play an important role in providing emergency communications during times of disaster or medical emergencies. There are several voluntary organizations, such as HSVOAD (Hawaii State Voluntary Organization Active in Disaster) who run emergency tests using volunteer amateur radio operators and CB stations.
Natural disasters, including tropical cyclones, hurricanes or typhoons, tsunamis, earthquakes, etc. are common. For a rapid response to these situations, communications is critical.
In the Kiribatti Island group there are thousands of CB radio operators, and many of these operate within the official 27 MHz Citizen Band, usually between Channel 30 and 38 usb. Many also operate on the 11 Meter Freeband, keeping in contact with friends and relations in New Zealand and Australia. (see DX-PACIFIC section on this site)

Australian Maritime Frequencies

[27.680 MHz to 27.980 MHz ]
27.680 Ship to ship/ ship to shore Calling and working
27.720 Professional fishing. Calling and working/ ship-ship and ship-shore
27.820 as above27.860 DISTRESS, safety and calling
27.880 as above27.900 Calling and working ship to shore
27.910 as above27.960 Calling and working ship to ship
27.980 Rescue organisations such as, Surf Rescue Ship-ship/ship-shore

Unfortunately, be it CB or Amateur, there are a number of irresponsible people who operate on the air. Be sure you are not one of them. Please show good example by operating in a responsible way.

Last edited:
Nice info on 11M SSB DXing.

SSB has always been my mode of choice for many of the reasons listed above.

AM for the most part is for many people to Act like Morons.

11 meter ssb isn't as classy as it used to be. It's became a haven for the agitators with weak radios and poor antennas.

Even on the amateur bands the local ssb guys are harassed by vulgar recordings and all that good stuff made popular on ch 19. Sometimes AM isnt so bad but it all depends on who is in your area.

Morons are morons, regardless of the mode they operate or band
True, but I find them more prevalent on AM.

On SSB, most people speak in a normal voice whereas with AM, you here people talking in charactar and excessive radio lingo. i.e. wall to wall and tree top tall, in the bush… break break, I'm backout, see ya, bye…bye bye bye! etc.

It's as if you don't talk like that on AM, you don't get no respect.

On SSB if you talk like that, you would be considered a moron and probably be chased off. The main moronic thing on SSB is overuse if Q codes.

True, but I find them more prevalent on AM.

On SSB, most people speak in a normal voice whereas with AM, you here people talking in charactar and excessive radio lingo. i.e. wall to wall and tree top tall, in the bush… break break, I'm backout, see ya, bye…bye bye bye! etc.

It's as if you don't talk like that on AM, you don't get no respect.

On SSB if you talk like that, you would be considered a moron and probably be chased off. The main moronic thing on SSB is overuse if Q codes.
QSL, QSL.... HIHI

Once upon a time, like 35 or so years ago, there was a loophole in the FCC rules meant to permit manufacture and sale of transmitting equipment that doesn't meet the FCC limits for legal use in the USA. Think Motorola, Harris and such making radios for the Saudi armed forces, for example. This exemption applied only to merchandise that was manufactured to be sent outside the USA, where it would not be used in a way that violates the limits the FCC places on legal transmitters, like a 40-channel CB. FCC rules apply only in the USA and colonies, er, "possessions".

Hence the term "export" radio. In the 1980s, bootleg radios that exceeded FCC limits for CB use would appear with a label "for export only" stuck to the carton. Sellers in Canada would ship bootleg radios to a USA customer, since no such regulation applied to them. A French company "Dirland" was using this method. Other sellers would drop-ship a radio from a warehouse in Guatemala, with a sticker on the carton that said "farm equipment". Similar tricks were used to disguise sale and shipment of linear amplifiers. The Dirland radios had a tiny slide switch inside that would activate the CB coverage. These days you usually need a soldering iron to "un-cripple" the radio.

This ruse kept up for a while, and the market grew. Demand rose, and wholesale companies got bolder. Bootleg radios would get smuggled into the country by the container load. Eventually the owner of Ranger Communications International got arrested at his hotel room in Vegas in the mid-90s for importing "illegal" radios. The judge threw out the charges and apologized before cutting him loose. Right about that time, some genius figured out that if you simply crippled a radio at the factory so that only 10-meter ham frequencies would come out of it when you key the mike, you could get a radio past any customs check, no problem. Of course, the FCC responded with a list of "dual use" radios that they said you were not allowed to sell, but the camel's nose was in the tent and no rule to prevent them from coming over the border.

Uniden had already done more or less the same thing around 1990 when they introduced the HR2510. It would only tune the 10-meter ham band. Until you jiggered two pins on the radio's CPU. This unlocked frequencies from 26 to 28 MHz, and a whole separate "band" with the USA 40 CB channels in the proper order. That part of the chip's programming didn't just appear from nowhere. Uniden put it in there when the chip's program was written. Made the 2510 a much bigger seller than it would have been with only 10 meters in it. Proof of this would be the successor model "HR2600". Didn't have the 'secret' CB frequencies in it. Sold like a turd in the punch bowl at a wedding reception.

For the last 25 years or so millions of radios that say "10 meter" on the outside of the carton have been sold that would never be used by a ham on the 10-meter band. Never.

And the origin of the term "export radio" has pretty well sunk into total obscurity.

Smuggler's blues.

I know a group of old men that use 26.955 in central Texas. Im sure theyll be happy to talk to you just call for BBQ Man or Bartender if skip is rolling from there to wherever you are..
Good group of old operators, most of those folks have been on the radio over 50 years, couple of them are my neighbors, they have been helping me get back into radio

Last edited:
Good group of old operators, most of those folks have been on the radio over 50 years, couple of them are my neighbors, they have been helping me get back into radio

Hey 703 I believe I talked to you this afternoon. I had a rough copy on you, then I had a phone call and didn't have a chance to get back with when I got closer to Rockdale. I go by 553.

Wow! I was probably 15 to 20 miles from Waco when I talked to 0737 in South Carolina. Where are you located. I know somewhere in the Rockdale area.

I'm going to hook up a different radio in my truck so I can talk to the guys around there when I am passing through. Hopefully I will hear you again.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.