• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

frequency counter repair help

duldog

Sep 26, 2011
i recently acquired an intermittently working LEADER LDC 824 frequency counter in a deal that is hard to resist (reads from 10hz to 520mhz)

sometimes it works (reads frequency) after 20mins warmup, sometimes after an hour other times it wouldn't work even after 2hours warmup time. Also at times it works even when the set is cold then suddenly stops working as it warms. it simply displays 0.00000, all the buttons seem to respond except that it doesn't read frequency

but when it happens to work, it works perfectly and reads as accurately as my other counter (a radioshack portable counter, signal source is a 2m HT transmitting on rubber duckies)

i can't find a service manual or even a user manual, the closest i can get is a user manual for LDC-823 (250 mhz) but it seems to be different

first course of action is to look for cold solders, and discovered that the unit has been resoldered recently and i can't find any loose/cold solders and no obvious physical defects

next, checked for supply voltages, found them to be spot on (5v, -12v, -19v, -38v, etc)

then i checked for hi-esr caps using a homebrew esr meter, found none except for a 33uf 16v tantalum cap which read 2ohms while the other same value cap read .5 ohm

internal oscillator reads exactly 10.0000 mhz on my other counter, probed it on the bnc post at the back of the unit

thinking that this might be a thermal problem, i used a hot air desoldering station to heat up one IC/transistor at a time to provoke the unit but none seems to react with heat

i am not willing to give up yet, even with lacking diagrams and limited test equipment and not so strong foundation on digital circuits and hard to find parts, i humbly seek for assistance, help me out what and where to look for, will do the hardwork and learn at the same time. a service manual would be greatly appreciated. if it can't be repaired i just want to know what went wrong, thanks and 73!

dd,
This is going to sound crude, but have you tried smacking it a couple of times to see if it starts working ? The symtoms you are describing sound like some type of bad connection, not heat related. If there are any connectors, plug in boards or ic's, I would remove them and reseat them. Also, make sure that all connections are tight. I know this all sounds like common sense, but its worth checking one more time :)

dd,
This is going to sound crude, but have you tried smacking it a couple of times to see if it starts working ? The symtoms you are describing sound like some type of bad connection, not heat related. If there are any connectors, plug in boards or ic's, I would remove them and reseat them. Also, make sure that all connections are tight. I know this all sounds like common sense, but its worth checking one more time :)

don't worry my friend;) already done that, and even flexing the boards. but sadly still no effect, tnx for the reply

The timebase oscillator crystal is bad.

I recently repaired an FC-70 which exhibited the same symptoms.

Do you have an oscilloscope which can be used to check the reference oscillator? If this is the problem, you'll see a gradual decrease in oscillator signal amplitude at the input of the first divider IC as the crystal heats. When the oscillator voltage drops below the point where the divider can reliably clock, the counter stops gating and reads all zeros.

Reactions: Cable Guy
The timebase oscillator crystal is bad.

I recently repaired an FC-70 which exhibited the same symptoms.

Do you have an oscilloscope which can be used to check the reference oscillator? If this is the problem, you'll see a gradual decrease in oscillator signal amplitude at the input of the first divider IC as the crystal heats. When the oscillator voltage drops below the point where the divider can reliably clock, the counter stops gating and reads all zeros.

ok mate tnx for the tip! the oscillator reads exactly at 10.0000 mhz (read using another counter) but i have no way to measure amplitude (no access to an oscilloscope), i will try to locate and will try replacing the 10.000mhz crystal

the crystal of this unit looks like it has a heater built-in,,is it ok if i replace it with a modern regular crystal?

btw, here is a link which has pictures exactly as my unit, tnx! 73!
LEADER LDC-824 520MHZ??--??|? - 38??--38Hot Volt-Nuts ? ? ???? - Powered by phpwind

No doubt that it has a TCXO crystal. That is how that crystal stays stable; as that heater keeps it on target after the counter warms up. I'd replace it with another replacement heater/crystal/TCXO. That is; if you want to keep it and use it . . .

replaced the crystal (10.000 mhz but different from the orig) just to test the unit but sad to say its still the same, unit still works/dont work unpredictably

Since it is intermittent; then there must be a bad connection/solder joint.
Have you re-touched the solder pads yet?

yup! resoldered most of the pads now,,, was thinking maybe a via or something but flexing the board doesn't make any difference,,,, how i wish i can have its service manual,

Have you looked at their website?

Maybe they will send you a copy, Google can translate webpage.

Just a shot in the dark...

Is it still in production?

Have you looked at their website?

Maybe they will send you a copy, Google can translate webpage.

Just a shot in the dark...

Is it still in production?

nope, not in production anymore,,, is vintage unit my friend, btw will try sending them e-mail, thanks!

FINALLY FIXED IT!
I initially suspected the input/prescaler board but even after almost scorching the board with my hot air station I cannot provoke it to work, I turned my attention to the display board
It didn’t take long before I had a specific area to concentrate, its around an HD74S112P ic (its part of a circuit that feeds signals to the main IC/display controller). It had not been recently resoldered, no suspicious connections but its full of flux residue, had it resoldered all connections around the area just to be sure and cleaned off the excess flux residue. Much to my delight, this combination seems to have cured the trouble s of this counter. I had the unit warmup/cooled/then warmed up again but it just didn’t quit working
Lesson learned? Persistence pays off, don’t be afraid to ask
THANKS for all the help!73!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.