• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fresh Hell In The Woods

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
We live Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 6.58.23 PM.pngcompletely in the woods inside the Nat. Forest. Wouldn't trade the place for anything but it has it's moments. Just got through disposing of this very large adult Timber Rattler right up against the house. Just glad I saw it before the dog did. The wife's family has had one family dog killed by one in the past. Big & fat, weighed over 5lbs. Looks like 8-10 buttons, didn't bother counting exactly. This is about as big as they come around here. Just glad to be rid of it courtesy the trusty 20 ga. shotgun. Yikes +++

We live View attachment 59993completely in the woods inside the Nat. Forest. Wouldn't trade the place for anything but it has it's moments. Just got through disposing of this very large adult Timber Rattler right up against the house. Just glad I saw it before the dog did. The wife's family has had one family dog killed by one in the past. Big & fat, weighed over 5lbs. Looks like 8-10 buttons, didn't bother counting exactly. This is about as big as they come around here. Just glad to be rid of it courtesy the trusty 20 ga. shotgun. Yikes +++
Imagine if someone didn't see it until the last minute or hear it,that person's day could have gone down hill very quickly,if I remember correctly the more excited (a poor choice of words I know) a person becomes after they have been bitten,the faster the venom spreads through the bloodstream of said Person and starts to break down the body functions,etc. WOW!!!!!!!!

Reactions: whiteastro
Your learn when living out in the country to always be aware of your surroundings.
Don't see to many rattlers where I am but they are around. We have more copperheads...
It doesn't matter even if it's a garden snake they still freak me out.

I don't know how calm I could stay after getting bit by a snake and I don't want to find out.

That is a big rattlesnake. Good thing you had the shotgun handy.

We live with Timber Rattlers and Copperhead in this area but they are spotty in their areas and I've been lucky not to have encountered them but I am always wary of them and carry a gun for them for safety sake. The law of the jungle prev-ales, Survival of the fittest.

Reactions: Wire Weasel
Beautiful creatures. Damn shame their temperament doesn't match.
Fortunately we only have 2 venomous types here, these and Copperheads. We're too far north for the Water Moccasins, Eastern and Pygmy Corals. Learned to I.D. all state snakes when we moved here. Good that the TR's & Coppers are so distinctively marked and nothing else looks like them.

Ugh. I hate snakes. Back when I lived far West of Houston we dealt with Water Moccasins and Rattlesnakes. The former weren't scared of humans at all and would actually charge you. That's all I have to say about them. About 15mi West a relative had a house up on a hill and carried a gun with him most times 'cause of Rattlesnakes. He borrowed my rotor-tiller one year and I didn't get it back until the next Spring. I couldn't get it to start, to he came down and opened up a panel where we saw a small family of dead rattlesnakes that didn't survive the Winter - what a mess.

Last snake story: A radio friend of mine lived about 20m NW of my location and we'd talk on SSB while driving into Houston. One morning, out of the blue, he started telling us (there was a 3rd driver that made up our sideband trio each morning), but I digress... he told us that he and his wife have had 3 birdhouses for about 10 years, each one mounted on a 15 ft. pole and every year it seemed like the young-ins born the previous year returned to nest in their old home. The year of his story (4 years previous) was no exception, 3 bird houses and 3 returning families, but for about a week neither he or his wife had seen activity at the birdhouse furthest from their back porch. So he grabbed a ladder, and setting it up as close to the pole as he could, he climbed up to just under eye level, then stepped on the next ladder rung to look inside. What he saw was a Rattlesnake looking right back at him. He fell off the ladder and dislocated his shoulder, killed the snake and got rid of the body. He figured the neighbor birds in the other 2 bird homes must have passed the word around about the snake because it remained empty for the past 4 years, and when I asked about it a few year later he confirmed that since the snake, that bird house had a year round permanent vacancy, so he finally took it down a few months back. Sorry for the lengthy post guys, sometimes I get carried away... ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated