• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT-450D- Antena tuner

frankd4

Sep 16, 2011
The FT450D antenna tuner as it comes from the factory will not tune any thing above 3 SWR if you do the tuner mode below you can tune up to 7 SWR.

Turn OFF the radio using the ON/OFF button
Press and hold the ATT/PO, NB, AND AGC buttons and at the same time turn the radio ON by pressing the ON/OFF button.

Rotate the DSP/SEL to find HF1SWR change the value from 85 to 150 by rotating the MAIN DIAL knob.

Rotate the DSP/SEL to find HF2SWR change the value from 85 to 150 by rotating the MAIN DIAL knob.

Rotate the DSP/SEL to find HF3SWR change the value from 85 to 150 by rotating the MAIN DIAL knob.

Press and hold the F button for 1 second to store the new settings.
Turn off the radio using the ON/OFF button.

Turn on the radio. The ATU will now tune to a G5RV or similar high impedance antenna.

I hope that you will find this as helpful as I did.

P.S. be very careful while in the service menu as not to mess with other settings as you can mess up your radio.

Reactions: n0zna

Unless they changed the design of the tuner from the original FT-450 all you are doing is fooling the meter calibration. The tuner still has the 3:1 limit.

This is well documented on the Yahoo FT-450 group. I owned an FT-450 for several years. If this is the same mod you risk damage to your radio.

Think about it. Why would they install a tuner capable of tuning a wider range of mismatches and then limit it? Makes no sense.

Well, RatsoW8, I have tweaked the settings to a more moderate value of 135, rather than the suggested 150 and it works for me, for my antenna, and on 20m where I do most of my traffic. I can think of one reason why they would restrict the range to 1:3. Think about how many external tuners they can sell by doing that. It does make sense.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated